Gaming 2nd New Drive, still no play

torakuma

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well guys, here I am again. Have a 4.3E, never been modded, knocked off of table & would not play anymore. Bought a re-manufactured disk drive from e-bay and still wouldn't play. Discovered one of the pins bent on the 12 wire connection and would short out every time I plugged the connector in the new drive. Sent the drive back and received new one yesterday. Installed it this morning and to my dismay still will not play. All lights seem to be normal, disk slides in nice and smooth, shows it spinning on TV but then I get message " An error has occurred " Eject Disk, Turn Off Wii, read Manual. I'm about ready to kick the wife and the dogs. Would really like to get this thing to play the original disks so I can go ahead and mod it.

torakuma

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not tried new cable, did not want to go down to motherboard but I guess I don't have many options. Will do so now, anything else I should look for? Thank you.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I can only think of a couple of things

1) Is the replacement drive an EXACT replacement - there's been so many different Drives that you may've put an incompatible one in

2) Usually after a 'fall' something may have come loose - have you checked ALL connections and chips etc are fully inserted into their slots

torakuma

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have taken this Wii completely apart three times now. Have found nothing loose and all connections tight. Your mention of incompatible drive confuses me, when buying a new (re-manufactured drive) no one asks for serial number,model,version,etc of old drive so I'm not sure what you're saying. Both drives look exact, hook up & install the same, and in fact I have two other drives that are bricked but don't appear to be any different in appearance or wiring. I have been told that all Wii drives are compatible and that the difference in versions (4.1,4.2,4.3) are stored on the Nand Chip which is on the Motherboard. The only other Wii I have at hand belongs to another Grandaughter and this one is a modded 4.2 with all games on an external hard drive. When you play this one, the game shows up on the screen as the cover and then begins to play. The one I'm having trouble with shows nothing at all pertaining to the game,name,cover,etc. Just a blank disk spinning and then the error message. Thanks for your help.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sorry if I got you confused about 'different drives' - I'll try & make it a little clearer..
... but note that this is all speculation & guess work

===============
Depending on how old your Wii system is depends upon the type of DVD drive installed
The earlier Wii's systems had a 'standard' DVD drive fitted & this meant that they were capable of playing DVD movies, either by soft-modding or by hard wiring a 'Wiikey' to the drive itself

However since Nintendo didn't like this idea, they started modifying the drives to try & prevent this (IIRC there's been about 9 different variations of drives so far)

Although the drives may look identical - the controller chip is labelled differently [last few letters may be like "D2A", "D2B" etc] & it's possible that the firmware had been changed to try & prevent the 'Backup Disc playback issue

- I'm sure some1 will correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK there are some combinations of DVD drives you can't swap with another. One such combo (I think) is that you MAY be able to place a D2C drive into a console that had an older drive BUT you can't put a D2B into a system that had a newer drive

(I found some of this info out from this site)

Also even if you had a very old Wii & it went in for repair by Nintendo - it's possible that the drive was replaced with one of the newer versions which is incapable of playing movie DVD OR Disk backup disks

It's possible you may have 2 DVD drives that 'look' the same but your (broken) DVD may be a D2C & your (New) replacement is a D2B (an older drive) - or something similar
=================

Hope that clears some of the confusion up - but remember that I'm also only guessing that this might be the problem..... what is really needed is someone who knows more about DVD replacement & if there are certain combo's that won't work

torakuma

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply, In this case the new drive is a D4 which the manufacturer claims is backward compatible to all Models of Wii.

liewhl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how many disk have u try? maybe is the disk problem.

if u disk drive really dun work n u dun know what had happen, i advice u to just mod it and
run game by harddisk. it better than tryng to mess around with ur wii and make additional damage
to it in the end.

Morien

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
liewhl said:
how many disk have u try? maybe is the disk problem.

if u disk drive really dun work n u dun know what had happen, i advice u to just mod it and
run game by harddisk. it better than tryng to mess around with ur wii and make additional damage
to it in the end.

Can't mod it. SM 4.3 requires a disc to mod.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT