Hacking 2DS blue light turns on and then off again after few seconds. No popping sound.

dougal22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
I have a 2DS which I bought faulty. Basically what happens is it charges fine (orange light) but when I power it up the blue light turns on and then after a few seconds switches off again. No popping sound and the screen does not light up either.

I know its not a screen problem as I've tested it and its good. I reseated all the cables lots of times and cleaned them. I've tried different batteries and different chargers (all known working). I've checked what I believe to be fuses (two of them) using a multimeter in continuity mode and they checked out fine. The board looks clean, undamaged and the battery contacts look fine.

I will note when I bought it it did not include any SD card.

Is it possible it is bricked soft or hard rather than having board damage ?

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I have a 2DS which I bought faulty. Basically what happens is it charges fine (orange light) but when I power it up the blue light turns on and then after a few seconds switches off again. No popping sound and the screen does not light up either.

I know its not a screen problem as I've tested it and its good. I reseated all the cables lots of times and cleaned them. I've tried different batteries and different chargers (all known working). I've checked what I believe to be fuses (two of them) using a multimeter in continuity mode and they checked out fine. The board looks clean, undamaged and the battery contacts look fine.

I will note when I bought it it did not include any SD card.

Is it possible it is bricked soft or hard rather than having board damage ?
Put boot.firm from this release on the SD root and see if that fixes it.
https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/tag/v9.1

Reactions: Quantumcat

dougal22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
Put boot.firm from this release on the SD root and see if that fixes it.

Just tried. No luck

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There is some function as in if i hold A L R and UP and press power the blue light stays on for a a couple of more seconds. Also the sleep switch does actually work.

dougal22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
I also tried boot.firm from Luma 7.1 ... No luck. I am trying using the SD CARD from another working non-hacked 2DS by the way.

DaraenSigma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I had the same problem,

I followed TurdPooCharger link and it just worked fine for me.
the only thing is that my 2ds is still doing that if I use another SD card but I mean thanks to you I can still play on my ds phew. :yay3ds:

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did everything in the steps including the hw verify thing and used a new 16 GB sd card (well micro in an SD adapter) and it didnt work.
If the micro SD cards with adapters are known to work on a computer, you'll need to look into fixing the SD card slot reader. Other than that, get the R4i Gold 3DS Plus for ntrboot.

KyoIsHacking

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I did everything in the steps including the hw verify thing and used a new 16 GB sd card (well micro in an SD adapter) and it didnt work.
Do you have another Adapter? If so try if that works. For me an adapter which seemed fine on my pc didn't allow the 3ds to boot. When I used another one it worked.

actualkoifish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to necro this thread, I've gone through this thread and done everything short of the NTRboot from the R4, but so far nothing has worked out.

I'm curious if there's any possible hardware flaws that contribute to this problem. I'm asking because I bought a trashed 2DS for cheap, and while it works for what I bought it for, I'm curious if I couldn't fix it.

The most obvious flaw is the screens; It looks like somebody sat on them or something. I'm not expecting flawless performance, but I at least expect it to turn on and fail to display (but have working sound, responsive buttons, etc. things you can prove despite broken screen), so instead I'm wondering if there's another cause for this behavior that isn't solved with SD card changes. Does anybody have enough familiarity with this kind of problem to confirm whether hardware issues will also cause this effect, and if so, which ones?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry to necro this thread, I've gone through this thread and done everything short of the NTRboot from the R4, but so far nothing has worked out.

I'm curious if there's any possible hardware flaws that contribute to this problem. I'm asking because I bought a trashed 2DS for cheap, and while it works for what I bought it for, I'm curious if I couldn't fix it.

The most obvious flaw is the screens; It looks like somebody sat on them or something. I'm not expecting flawless performance, but I at least expect it to turn on and fail to display (but have working sound, responsive buttons, etc. things you can prove despite broken screen), so instead I'm wondering if there's another cause for this behavior that isn't solved with SD card changes. Does anybody have enough familiarity with this kind of problem to confirm whether hardware issues will also cause this effect, and if so, which ones?
On O2DS this will happen if the screen backlight doesn't work or isn't properly connected (on other systems of the 3DS family it can be screen backlight -- upper or lower or both -- or the loudspeaker cable going to the upper screen assembly). DS systems have a poor error tolerance and aren't very verbose when not all components react as they should. Not very verbose is still a polite description for what DS do on certain hardware errors.
If only the LCD is broken but the backlight is working you would get what you described: System booting with no image (but light), sound plays and buttons/circle pad can be used to navigate through the menu (which can be heard).

In case the screen (O2DS has technically only one screen) is so broken that backlight doesn't work anymore, you have not much choice for testing: Replace the screen or temporarily swap the motherboard into a working unit. Be careful when removing the backplate if you have never done this before. You could rip the camera cable. Refer to ifixit.com for instructions and pictures.

Good luck!

actualkoifish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On O2DS this will happen if the screen backlight doesn't work or isn't properly connected (on other systems of the 3DS family it can be screen backlight -- upper or lower or both -- or the loudspeaker cable going to the upper screen assembly). DS systems have a poor error tolerance and aren't very verbose when not all components react as they should. Not very verbose is still a polite description for what DS do on certain hardware errors.
If only the LCD is broken but the backlight is working you would get what you described: System booting with no image (but light), sound plays and buttons/circle pad can be used to navigate through the menu (which can be heard).

In case the screen (O2DS has technically only one screen) is so broken that backlight doesn't work anymore, you have not much choice for testing: Replace the screen or temporarily swap the motherboard into a working unit. Be careful when removing the backplate if you have never done this before. You could rip the camera cable. Refer to ifixit.com for instructions and pictures.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I read a bit more about the system problems, and after looking at my unit, I am convinced that it is a total screen failure. In fact, the bends in the screen casing make it look like somebody sat on it

I've ordered a second "for parts" system that sounds like it will work just fine for my needs. All going well, I should be able to demonstrate that this system works without much issue. If it doesn't...well, I can part this out and sell it over time or keep it as spares.

Thanks again for your reply.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU +1