1st Wii Modchip

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Kuik, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    I would be more happy with a solution where there is no possibility that you brake your Wii but yeah great news ...

(and i think there will never be a better way than such a mod chip so i will have to take the risk)

2. pelago

pelago Member

Feb 20, 2006
    The Photo Channel doesn't read CDs/DVDs either.

3. Nfo_Jen

Nfo_Jen Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2007
    Okay after 10 minutes research I've figured one thing out. The Wiinja isn't really a mod chip at all. That's not to say that it won't work. Look at this picture:
    [​IMG]
    See that so called chip. Well all it is is a 12c508 IC. Not really a chip at all but an IC.
    [​IMG]
    Now I seriously doubt that the Wii's security could be defeated by an intigrated circuit. This is the same IC used with the Playstation. So unless Nintendo has went back with their security by about 13 years, I say Bullshit.

Plus if it is real, thirtynine Euro's for a one Euro chip. You must be joking

4. moshii

moshii GBAtemp Regular

Jun 6, 2006
    函館
    Like the wii has protection right? There are methods for extracting the code out of most microcontrollers, I'm sitting here looking at the details to deprotect that group of PICs as we speak.

5. moshii

moshii GBAtemp Regular

Jun 6, 2006
    函館
    You realise chips exactly like those are running your car, tv, fridge... it doesn't take a massive amount of computational power to send "matshita dvd-game" to the controller on the Wii's drive does it? [​IMG]

The chip may cost 1 euro, but I doubt the research, code, test equipment etc etc fell from the sky. 39 euro is about the same as one game right? I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

6. Nfo_Jen

Nfo_Jen Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2007
    Well that all depends on how the security is implemented.
    I would say that it may have chips in my car like that for simple switching procedures. But as for engine management I would think a lot more complex cpu's would be used.

As for extracting code from 12/508's, well I'm sure the guy extracted the code from the IC when the playstation modchips were at their height was the guy from maxconsole.

7. Deekman

Deekman GBAtemp Regular

Dec 5, 2002
    Canada
    MB, Canada
    I'll wait until it can do region free so I can play the cool Japanese games we miss out on over here.

8. MADKATZ99

MADKATZ99 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2005
    AUS
    Its small, but beutiful...

I was looking around youtube for no particular reason when I came across the wiinja vid. I was going to post it, because I thought it was only a day old (because of the news channel), but it seems somones allways one step infront [​IMG]

Anyway, I dont know about anyone else, but this is the vid I seen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=libxIKSTS9A

The chip is looking good! Cant wait to find out if you can still play the games online with the chip or what not.

9. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I think the rest of the money went towards the pretty box and the printing of the sticker and the little cloth. Maybe the cost will also factor in a manual or something. The rest is just profit.

10. Opium

Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Former Staff
    Dec 22, 2002
    Australia
    The 39 Euros is because it's the only Wii modchip on the market. It has the market all to itself, either you pay the man or you don't.

11. xalphax

xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Nov 18, 2006
    Croatia
    here'n'there
    i dont think 39€ is that much, look at the pricing for the first chips for previous systems... nah? see? good!

its ok-priced imho

12. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I wonder how many clones will be arriving when people figure out the code. Anyways, even if I get the chip, there's not many game downloadable that appeals to me. Then again, I was like that with the DS.

13. mister k

mister k Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2006
    true say blood!
    K

14. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I just converted the price to UK£. The fact that this is even cheaper than a PS2 modchip just surprises me.

15. brpn

brpn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2007
    United States
    has anyone gotten the website of www.wiinja.com to come up? no luck here. Also i though earlier someone had posted what dvd media has been tested to be working but i can not find it. Also any idea on official resellers?

16. trinest

trinest Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2004
    Australia
    Interesting...

17. perkele

perkele GBAtemp Regular

Jul 19, 2006
    Finland
    Lol, an IC is a chip.
    And it could be an ATtiny11 or any other programmable chip that comes in an 8 pin DIP housing.

18. Warm Woolly Shee

Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 14, 2006
    United States
    Butt City, FA rt
    I'm with you.

With my N64, I was able to play the first Mario Party long before it was available in the states, and laughing with my friends while we all tried to figure out what was going on was the best part.

For me it's region free or nothing.

19. Nfo_Jen

Nfo_Jen Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2007
    Incorrect. Anything that works on that small number of instructions (a min of 35, max 70) has to be considered a complex switch. DIP Housing comes in many many different forms.

20. Nfo_Jen

Nfo_Jen Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2007
    No. This won't be a region hack at all.