Hacking 1st Wii Modchip

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would be more happy with a solution where there is no possibility that you brake your Wii but yeah great news ...

(and i think there will never be a better way than such a mod chip so i will have to take the risk)

Nfo_Jen

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay after 10 minutes research I've figured one thing out. The Wiinja isn't really a mod chip at all. That's not to say that it won't work. Look at this picture:
caja_wiinja.jpg

See that so called chip. Well all it is is a 12c508 IC. Not really a chip at all but an IC.
12c508_lg.jpg

Now I seriously doubt that the Wii's security could be defeated by an intigrated circuit. This is the same IC used with the Playstation. So unless Nintendo has went back with their security by about 13 years, I say Bullshit.

Plus if it is real, thirtynine Euro's for a one Euro chip. You must be joking

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
If you programmed that many PIC12C50x chips, you'd know they also have "programmable code protection", smartass.

Like the wii has protection right? There are methods for extracting the code out of most microcontrollers, I'm sitting here looking at the details to deprotect that group of PICs as we speak.

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Now I seriously doubt that the Wii's security could be defeated by an intigrated circuit. This is the same IC used with the Playstation. So unless Nintendo has went back with their security by about 13 years, I say Bullshit.

You realise chips exactly like those are running your car, tv, fridge... it doesn't take a massive amount of computational power to send "matshita dvd-game" to the controller on the Wii's drive does it?
wink.gif

The chip may cost 1 euro, but I doubt the research, code, test equipment etc etc fell from the sky. 39 euro is about the same as one game right? I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

Nfo_Jen

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well that all depends on how the security is implemented.
I would say that it may have chips in my car like that for simple switching procedures. But as for engine management I would think a lot more complex cpu's would be used.

As for extracting code from 12/508's, well I'm sure the guy extracted the code from the IC when the playstation modchips were at their height was the guy from maxconsole.

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Its small, but beutiful...

I was looking around youtube for no particular reason when I came across the wiinja vid. I was going to post it, because I thought it was only a day old (because of the news channel), but it seems somones allways one step infront
frown.gif

Anyway, I dont know about anyone else, but this is the vid I seen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=libxIKSTS9A

The chip is looking good! Cant wait to find out if you can still play the games online with the chip or what not.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay after 10 minutes research I've figured one thing out. The Wiinja isn't really a mod chip at all. That's not to say that it won't work. Look at this picture:
caja_wiinja.jpg

See that so called chip. Well all it is is a 12c508 IC. Not really a chip at all but an IC.
12c508_lg.jpg

I think the rest of the money went towards the pretty box and the printing of the sticker and the little cloth. Maybe the cost will also factor in a manual or something. The rest is just profit.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
caja_wiinja.jpg

12c508_lg.jpg

I think the rest of the money went towards the pretty box and the printing of the sticker and the little cloth. Maybe the cost will also factor in a manual or something. The rest is just profit.

The 39 Euros is because it's the only Wii modchip on the market. It has the market all to itself, either you pay the man or you don't.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder how many clones will be arriving when people figure out the code. Anyways, even if I get the chip, there's not many game downloadable that appeals to me. Then again, I was like that with the DS.

brpn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has anyone gotten the website of www.wiinja.com to come up? no luck here. Also i though earlier someone had posted what dvd media has been tested to be working but i can not find it. Also any idea on official resellers?

WarmWoollySheep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'll wait until it can do region free so I can play the cool Japanese games we miss out on over here.

I'm with you.

With my N64, I was able to play the first Mario Party long before it was available in the states, and laughing with my friends while we all tried to figure out what was going on was the best part.

For me it's region free or nothing.

Nfo_Jen

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Incorrect. Anything that works on that small number of instructions (a min of 35, max 70) has to be considered a complex switch. DIP Housing comes in many many different forms.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt