Hacking 1st Wii Modchip

elomaniak

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
doesn't the wii have auto firmware update to disable any modding?

softmod yes but no drivemod

it's like in the xbox 360 as far as i know

It's like the GC and xbox360, just the DVD drive firmware is modified.

so it seems that nintendo might be powerless against if

but not completely
they can get games to work with a certain firmware
but this would be an advance for players playin wii and not having a w-lan connection established.

hope we dont have to update our wii's
i dont update it cuz i dont have a w-lan connection at home
so if nintendo would do this i would be very dissapointed

elomaniak

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
hope we dont have to update our wii's
i dont update it cuz i dont have a w-lan connection at home
so if nintendo would do this i would be very dissapointed

there will be games released that will force ya wii to update

so i hope that nintendo wont be able to update the wii so that the chip will be useless
when i buy mine in a german online shop i will get guarantee for 2 years so it it's not working i will get a new one for free.

or i hope that release grups will be able to disable the update function of the games

kanja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I placed an order for this from futura-online a few hours after this post was made. I wanted to make sure that if there was a large demand I would be on the top of the list. The site was running slow, but it seemed to go fairly smoothly...They seem to have a descent rating on paypal as well.

Shortly after I received this email

QUOTE said:
Dear Bob,
Thanks for your order, we have received it and the payment correctly.

We will send your order next 1st Febrary but Unipost (Mail) and will be delivered in 10-15 days.

We’ll glad to know when you receive the package and you impression about the modchip and our service.

Once again, thanks for your order.

Gracias / Thanks !
Ximo

www.futuravideojuegos.es
Att. Cliente 902 19 68 59
Llamada por Skype (contacto futuravideojuegos)

Msn Messenger: [email protected]

So far so good I would say. I will gladly pay for a chip I know I will end up replacing soon, because if anything it will help in further development of future mods.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Does this chip work with the Wiiroms ?Depends what you mean by "Wiiroms"
Normal Wii and Gamecube games on DVD are playable with this chip, once burned to appropriate DVD media.
Wii Virtual Console games that are not purchased on your own Wii are not playable with the chip.
I placed an order for this from futura-online a few hours after this post was made. I wanted to make sure that if there was a large demand I would be on the top of the list. The site was running slow, but it seemed to go fairly smoothly...They seem to have a descent rating on paypal as well.

Shortly after I received this email

QUOTE said:
Dear Bob,
Thanks for your order, we have received it and the payment correctly.

We will send your order next 1st Febrary but Unipost (Mail) and will be delivered in 10-15 days.

We’ll glad to know when you receive the package and you impression about the modchip and our service.

Once again, thanks for your order.

Gracias / Thanks !
Ximo

www.futuravideojuegos.es
Att. Cliente 902 19 68 59
Llamada por Skype (contacto futuravideojuegos)

Msn Messenger: [email protected]

So far so good I would say. I will gladly pay for a chip I know I will end up replacing soon, because if anything it will help in further development of future mods.
I didn't get any such email after I ordered!
huh.gif

Could you please PM me the email address that the email came from?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Does this chip work with the Wiiroms ?
Depends what you mean by "Wiiroms"
Normal Wii and Gamecube games on DVD are playable with this chip, once burned to appropriate DVD media.Wii Virtual Console games that are not purchased on your own Wii are not playable with the chip.
Does this mean GC ISOs must be burned onto 8 cm DVDs? Or will standard DVDs work too?

Come to think of it, the chip doesn't have to override the disc type detection mechanism if you have 8 cm DVDs for GC, and regular DVDs for Wii ISOs. But that means the Wiinja is as basic as it gets.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Does this chip work with the Wiiroms ?Depends what you mean by "Wiiroms"
Normal Wii and Gamecube games on DVD are playable with this chip, once burned to appropriate DVD media.Wii Virtual Console games that are not purchased on your own Wii are not playable with the chip.
Does this mean GC ISOs must be burned onto 8 cm DVDs? Or will standard DVDs work too?

Come to think of it, the chip doesn't have to override the disc type detection mechanism if you have 8 cm DVDs for GC, and regular DVDs for Wii ISOs. But that means the Wiinja is as basic as it gets.
Depends on how the Wii checks for different game types. If it really uses size as opposed to proper data detection, then you're screwed if you don't have any of the small discs. Though I do find that very illogical, why not check properly unrelated to size and just check the data?

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What i have heard:
you can use fullsize discs for gamecube games and it can read upto 4.7gb
it can run homebrew dol files, but it needs to be of the region of the wii console, so you need a PAL .dol file for a PAL console. So when you burn the PAL GCOS onto a dvdr, you can run it and it will force the gamecube in Region-free mode, so you can eject the disc, put in NTSC backup of a gamecube game, and it will work.

Anyway, we just have to wait until 2 or 3 february for the first people to get the chip.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Depends on how the Wii checks for different game types. If it really uses size as opposed to proper data detection, then you're screwed if you don't have any of the small discs. Though I do find that very illogical, why not check properly unrelated to size and just check the data?
Well, the disc slot mechanism has to recognise the disc size to correctly handle and position the discs, and since you have the information about the size, might as well use it to determine the game type. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure it does both checks, so you would have to trick both recognition systems into accepting a standard size DVD as a GC game.

Oh well, even if it has to have 8 cm DVDs for GC games, $1 per empty 8cm DVD is still better than $85 per game...

wabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This chip might already be outdated, behold the CycloWiz!
http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=13934

QUOTE said:
Here is what we know so far about this chip:

- Quicksolder (no wires required)
- Plays Wii Backups
- Plays GC Backups
- Play GC Homebrew
- Play GC Imports (swap needed)
- Built-in Audiofix (GC games using streaming are working flawlessly, no patch needed)
- DVD-R / DVD+R support
- Optional chip disable wire
- Stealth even when chip is enabled
- Multi-purpose LED

directive0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bare with my noobism

What is this "optional disable wire" does it just shut the chip off? do you need to take your wii apart to do that?

It would be nice to just install a simple switch at the rear that could shut it off in case updates eventually are found to disable it.

Wanque

Trophies
Website
www.worldofwows.com
XP
Country
I suspect that's exactly what the 'optional disable wire' is for. Attaching a switch so you can return the drive to it's original functionality without opening up the Wii and de-soldering it.

Although technically, you'd need two wires for a switch.

arthurkok2

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
This chip might already be outdated, behold the CycloWiz!

QUOTE said:
Here is what we know so far about this chip:

- Quicksolder (no wires required)
- Plays Wii Backups
- Plays GC Backups
- Play GC Homebrew
- Play GC Imports (swap needed)
- Built-in Audiofix (GC games using streaming are working flawlessly, no patch needed)
- DVD-R / DVD+R support
- Optional chip disable wire
- Stealth even when chip is enabled
- Multi-purpose LED

the chip is just a clone of the wiinja

"Quicksolder (no wires required)"
not a wise idea, quicksolder means you place solder into holes in a position at the soldering points, which means its going to be HELL to remove, and you might damage your wii. Wires are good. just cut them and u removeed the chip

"Optional chip disable wire"
you can do this with the wiinja too, just put a switch between the wires that power the chip

"Stealth even when chip is enabled"
wiinja is as well, it a dvd drive mod so the wii can detect it watsoever

this is a horrible review that lack installation pics and its OBVIOUSLY biases towards the cyclo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse