14 yr old gets busted for lemonade stand..(w.t.f)

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
The 10 year olds were obviously using the lemonade stand as a way to form their business skills and fund a trip to the water park in the process
Maybe they'd form better business skills by learning how the business world works in terms of having to follow local laws?

The strawman arguments implying they were told they couldn't do it because they might have been selling poison or operating a criminal empire don't really help the situation. Laws apply to everyone, even people you like. That's something people sometimes have difficulty accepting.

No-one seems willing to answer the question about if they'd be happy with kids selling stuff in their neighbourhood if it was poor kids doing it to feed themselves, either they don't want to answer the question or no-one's actually reading the thread and just giving the standard response of "OMG, poor adorable kids, nasty facist policeman" after reading the OP and never visiting the thread again.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
_Chaz_ said:
The 10 year olds were obviously using the lemonade stand as a way to form their business skills and fund a trip to the water park in the process
Maybe they'd form better business skills by learning how the business world works in terms of having to follow local laws?

The strawman arguments implying they were told they couldn't do it because they might have been selling poison or operating a criminal empire don't really help the situation. Laws apply to everyone, even people you like. That's something people sometimes have difficulty accepting.

No-one seems willing to answer the question about if they'd be happy with kids selling stuff in their neighbourhood if it was poor kids doing it to feed themselves, either they don't want to answer the question or no-one's actually reading the thread and just giving the standard response of "OMG, poor adorable kids, nasty facist policeman" after reading the OP and never visiting the thread again.
Welcome to the world of being 10 years old.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The point is, they were kids. If they were adults, I could see them being required to have a vendors license, but they were kids. Rules aren't the same for kids. Those kids probably couldn't even apply for the license themselves if they wanted to. Then there's the fact that at $50 a day for the license, they would never make a profit just selling lemonade. I'm sure the whole point of the license was to prevent adult street peddlers from popping up everywhere and selling various items everyday, not kids from selling lemonade for just a couple days until they had enough money for a trip to a waterpark. It was a dick move on the part of the cop, plain and simple, regardless of how they try to justify their actions.

iluvfupaburgers

FUPA Luva
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
first it was the basketball hoops taken out, now this. man, what do people have against children nowadays. i find it dumb how they took out the lemonade stand, where i live, business licences only apply to businesses that are bigger than a certain amount of people, and actually own a building to work in, since that would be considered a business, kinda. but i guess a lemonade stand that is going to be taken out in a couple of days and runned by 10 year olds is a business, therefore need this licence.

BlueStar said:
if they were poor. why would they be selling lemonade instead of eating them or drinking? or were would they get that lemonade, and stand?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
BlueStar said:
_Chaz_ said:

The other kid was 14.

Rules aren't the same for kids

Uh, yes. Yes they are unless the law specifically states otherwise. This one doesn't. Maybe you could lobby to have the rules changed, but then don't complain when 14 year old poor kids are selling gum and bottled water on your street in order to get money for food and you whine "But that's differrrennnnt.

Person I feel most sorry for is the cop at the centre of the witchunt.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
_Chaz_ said:
BlueStar said:
_Chaz_ said:

The other kid was 14.

And that matters?

QUOTE(BlueStar @ Jul 17 2011, 08:55 AM)
Rules aren't the same for kids

Uh, yes. Yes they are unless the law specifically states otherwise. This one doesn't. Maybe you could lobby to have the rules changed, but then don't complain when 14 year old poor kids are selling gum and bottled water on your street in order to get money for food and you whine "But that's differrrennnnt.

Person I feel most sorry for is the cop at the centre of the witchunt.
Not only is that not different in the least, but why would people cry about it?

Johnny_Drama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Oh god, it's called SAFETY, ladies and gentlemen.

How many psychos do we have on this world right now? Do you think it would be safe for those kids to just sell those things on the street? Do you think we don't have psychos who could rob the complete lemonade stand and give the child a fucking permanent trauma for the rest of her fucking youth? These traumas cost the government and parents money, a lot of money.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Johnny_Drama said:

How many psychos do we have on this world right now? Do you think it would be safe for those kids to just sell those things on the street? Do you think we don't have psychos who could rob the complete lemonade stand and give the child a fucking permanent trauma for the rest of her fucking youth? These traumas cost the government and parents money, a lot of money.
So we should all stay inside and fear the outside world, sheltering our children from every life experience that they may ever have.

Makes sense.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:

I think people would see it in a very different manner and suddenly "Oh, but the rules shouldn't apply to children" wouldn't be the cry from the peanut gallery.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
_Chaz_ said:

I think people would see it in a very different manner and suddenly "Oh, but the rules shouldn't apply to children" wouldn't be the cry from the peanut gallery.
14 year olds selling gum and water vs 14 year olds selling lemonade?

Not really too much of a difference there.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
BlueStar said:
_Chaz_ said:

I think the difference is between middle class kids selling it to spend on entertainment and poor kids selling it to pay for food. Think people would be more comofrtable with one than the other, but can't justify creating a crime of "Street selling while not adorable."

Assax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Man I love those law discussions, tbh all those law zombies make me rage really hard.
Whats up with all this "the law states so" bullshit nowadays, use your common sense instead of blindly reading what the law states.
Not trying to be anarchist or anything but seriously sometimes I find it awfull that people seem to forget what childhood is or what kids do.

Grown ups always act as if they never wanted to do things that children nowadays too and scold them whenever children make stupid things. Especially so when those grown ups are working and always say "I'm only doing my job" goddamn, stop following the rules and laws like a blind machine and start acting like a human with free will.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
_Chaz_ said:
BlueStar said:
_Chaz_ said:

I think the difference is between middle class kids selling it to spend on entertainment and poor kids selling it to pay for food. Think people would be more comofrtable with one than the other, but can't justify creating a crime of "Street selling while not adorable."
I'm not seeing your logic.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gee, dunno why Blue Star is so hung up on this whole "what if kids start selling [insert whatever] in your neighborhood" idea. What exactly is the point of THAT argument? As long as the children aren't selling/doing drugs, selling food is a legitimate source of income, even in the short-term. Maybe you were raised well-to-do or something, but anyone who's had to go through this shit knows how hard money is to come by.

Second, I don't see your stand on "laws should cover everyone" blah blah. Not all laws do, believe me. Minors [anyone below 18] just are a different thing from adults. Now, if they were older than 18, with full rights and liabilities in the eyes of the law, that's a different story. But anyone below 18? They're not deemed responsible - their guardians are. As you can see [can you?] the girls were given a slap on the wrist, informed of the law/rule about permits and told to pack up. Technically, that's the general way the law handles anyone who is deemed a minor. I still think that fee is ridiculous, especially if it covers such minor enterprises like a friggin lemonade stand, but that's my opinion.

I dunno, is the law different in Europe?

@Johnny - I don't remember the officer saying even once that the girls were in danger. The stand was set up across the street from their house, from the looks of it. And really, why the hell would any person rob a lemonade stand?

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Johnny_Drama said:

Psychos rob lemonade stands now?

They must be getting desperate.

Johnny_Drama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
KirbyBoy said:
Psychos rob lemonade stands now?

They must be getting desperate.

QUOTE(Shinigami357 @ Jul 17 2011, 03:35 PM) @Johnny - I don't remember the officer saying even once that the girls were in danger. The stand was set up across the street from their house, from the looks of it. And really, why the hell would any person rob a lemonade stand?

http://tinyurl.com/63axrk7

and

http://mychristianfamily.wordpress.com/201...inals-arrested/

http://video.ca.msn.com/watch/video/kids-r...obbed/17yyrs3nu

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So... 2 examples make it the rule rather than the exception? By the law of averages alone, that's a very, very low chance.

I might as well link to cases of people struck by lightning and declare that people get hit everywhere everyday... Come on, really?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone anywhere carrying something of value can be robbed. It's not a valid argument. Just because someone could, doesn't mean someone would. Also if the cop wasn't so busy shutting down lemonade stands, he could catch lemonade stand thieves instead.

You might as well say running a lemonade stand is dangerous because they could get trampled by a runaway zoo, caught in a flash flood, or hit by lightning.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4