Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Why would you keep using something like Windows XP on a computer?

Actually I can only run Age of Empires II on our old XP computer...
There's nothing ReiNAND can do that Luma can't though.

Maybe more like, why use DOS? Modern Windows can run DosBox so no loss of functionality.

Reactions: ih8ih8sn0w

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
There's nothing ReiNAND can do that Luma can't though.

Maybe more like, why use DOS? Modern Windows can run DosBox so no loss of functionality.
DOSBox doesn't behave exactly like DOS does though, and sometimes has issues DOS wouldn't. FreeDOS also sometimes behaves differently from MS-DOS, for example.

Reactions: Quantumcat

marcoz9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
im getting the same error

dgtool 1.1 i go down to Downgrade Firm to 10.4, i push A, and then Start and Select to confirm.
it says opening dgTool/firm104_Old.bin and */firm111_Old.bin.

8192/8192 Don't Power Off!
Done!

reErr:0 weErr:0

plus the size of the firm112_OLD.bin is 944kb whereas the firm111_OLD.bin is 4.096kb any thoughts alredy download dgtool compatible with 11.2

Darksphere92

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for making your system more "stable" Nintendo, next their going to release an update that bricks all 3DS and says go buy a Nintendo Switch.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you keep using something like Windows XP on a computer?

Actually I can only run Age of Empires II on our old XP computer...
The current rxTools is more akin to Windows Millennium actually. It's an update of an engine that wasn't so bad, but it added a lot of bugs and things have improved a lot outside of that engine since. XP is actually still a very viable OS mostly being pushed out by forced arbitrary obsolescence rather than things it's literally incapable of. That would be more akin to, say, Nintendo forcing developers with various API changes to stop making O3DS games to focus only on the N3DS for example. There are slight differences and the N3DS is improved hardware, but the O3DS is capable of almost all the same stuff.

Well they cant compete against ARM9, they tried to atack the homebrews entrypoint, if I was nintendo would try stop hardmod and dsiware downgrade
How in the heck are they going to "patch" the hardmod method? It involves physically directly accessing the actual storage chip itself. Short of redesigning the system to use a different sort of chip that can't be accessed via a SD reader, there's not much they could do. That wouldn't stop existing systems from being moddable and it would require significant changes both to hardware and software. Actually, it wouldn't stop the new ones from being moddable either, it would simply make it more costly and difficult to actually do it. In fact, specialized hardware is no longer needed for these things now that we have super cheap heavily programmable devices with the ability to connect almost directly to anything like the Arduino or Raspberry Pi.

My big concern here is more simple: if we can access the NAND via exploits and hacks, Nintendo can access it via first party software. What's to stop them from detecting A9LH and simply overwriting it?

Last edited by Nazosan,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
True! OK, everybody ditch Windows 7, 8 and 10 we're all going back to DOS :lol:
lol. I keep a couple DOS computers to use some software. You can't get better than the real deal.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
How in the heck are they going to "patch" the hardmod method
I think you don't understand how hardmod downgrades & DSiWare downgrades work. You are replacing the native firm with an older, exploitable one. All Nintendo has to do is require vital system functions to require the latest native firm. Then, if you try to put in the older one and flash it back as per normal, you'll just boot a black screen or something. Incredibly easy for Nintendo to prevent hardmod and DSiWare downgrades.

Reactions: Alex658

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: