100 posts for trading forums

pubjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think for long standing members (1-year+), the 100 post rule should be reduced.

I don't post as much as some people do, but I enjoy reading and have helped people lots of times over the last couple of years.

Also, why can't I edit posts? Is that something to do with the 100 post limit rule too?

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IE is hard to code for because it is not standards compliant. IE7 is a little more compliant, and they claim IE8 will be even more so. IE always gave me a hard time when coding webpages as it would work fine in Firefox, but then I'd have to go and butcher the code so IE would view it right.

pubjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
greyhound said:
LOL!! I clicked that link and IE6 crashed. - stupid web programmers!!!
rolleyes.gif
lecture.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
KaliKot: when the trading forum was opened users who've been here as long as you could request access by directly asking a moderator, don't know if that still applies though.

pubjoe said:
But it's a poor designer who blames their targeted audience for not being able to view the content properly. As I say, I have no issues with this site's designers, I just didn't appreciate being flamed for simply using the most common browser on the market
I'm afraid IE hate is pretty common around the internet, sorry but you get used to it. While I would've guessed a lot of people use IE7, I've just looked at the statistics and I'm amazed at the number of people still estimated to be using IE6. Id've thought less technical users and businesses would've had IE7 shoved down their throats by automatic updates, so I'm a little surprised by this.

However you've probably figured out which browser the majority of this site's target audience are using by now
smile.gif
Very few people here are using IE6, the new board has a lot of bugs to work through and others are taking higher priority. If the users prove there is enough of a demand for IE6 compatibility then I'm sure they'll look into it if there is time. (the admins do this stuff in their free time).

The industry is changing, most young developers build their sites in Firefox now because of IE's poor standards compliance. Developers have to consider that their page may be being viewed on a wide range of mobile devices and phones, which contain custom browsers that rely heavily on standards compliant code to render anything at all. IE is a pain in the arse to develop on because it will render incorrect code by guessing what you were trying to do (curse you quirks mode!), which reduces compatibility of the finished page with those devices (and other browsers) and makes it an absolute nightmare to work with.

pubjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Psyfira, thank you.

I actually use firefox on my laptop (a mac). I once or twice changed my main work computer over to firefox too, and I also upgraded to IE7 early on in it's life. But when sites I rely heavily upon didn't function, well... I soon switched back to the tried and tested.

I guess it's time to get back up to date again - hopefully I won't have the same problems.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
QUOTE said:
Fact is, IE6 is still the second most used browser and websites as a rule HAVE to be compatible with it. whether you like the browser or not is not an issue.

In fact there are some "rules" stated by w3c for compatibility.. Firefox, Opera, Safari and most browsers follow then.. but Microsoft insist in keeping using their own standards for everything.. that's the big problem..
sleep.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU