100 posts for trading forums

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by pubjoe, Mar 2, 2008.

Mar 2, 2008

100 posts for trading forums by pubjoe at 12:58 PM (3,049 Views / 0 Likes) 28 replies

1. pubjoe
    OP

Member pubjoe GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I think for long standing members (1-year+), the 100 post rule should be reduced.

I don't post as much as some people do, but I enjoy reading and have helped people lots of times over the last couple of years.

Also, why can't I edit posts? Is that something to do with the 100 post limit rule too?

2. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    You can't edit posts?

3. pubjoe
    OP

United Kingdom
    If I click the edit icon, nothing happens ?

4. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    You should be able to edit posts, but edits don't count towards your post count.

Trading Area here you come! I hope it was worth it.

5. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

Editing posts now use a special ajax/javascript system.
    Try performing a full refresh (Ctrl+F5) on the page before you click the edit button.
    Also, wait for the page to be completely loaded before you click the edit button (menus won't show until the page is completely loaded).

If it still doesnt work, tell me what browser you're using and I'll have a look into it.

6. pubjoe
    OP

United Kingdom
    I tried ctrl-f5 and waited for the page to fully load, but it still doesn't work. I am using IE6 on windows XP. I think my sun java is up to date (ish).

7. Costello

IE 6 is the worst browser. Nothing works with it. It's also extremely dangerous for security, surfing the web is very unsafe with it.
    Firefox is greatly recommended !

Download firefox here: http://www.mozilla-europe.org

8. pubjoe
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah I know, but a lot of sites I use often break when using firefox and I have to wait for an update (usually betting sites).

I just stick with IE as it is usually the most compatible - being the most used.

Also, IE compatability is pretty much 1st priority for websites - even if you don't like it.

9. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Then at least get IE7.

And what do you mean '1st priority'? Most competant web designers use Firefox anyway...

Also, I don't mean to be rude, but I don't believe it's our job to update the site to support obsolete browsers.

10. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    At least use IE7 then!
    IE6 has a lot of issues with AJAX, CSS and other newer technologies.. you have no idea how web designers and programmers have to suffer just to make their sites compatible with IE6.. [​IMG]

ALL BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU! [​IMG]

Seriously.. stop using it.. [​IMG]

11. greyhound

Member greyhound GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    the 100 post rule doesn't apply to long standing members, they only need 50 posts. Not sure when you are considered a long-term member, maybe 2 years.

12. GameDragon

Member GameDragon Mugiwara RAWR!

United States
    You could use Firefox with the IE Tab. That way you get the functionality of Firefox and the compatibility of IE at the same time.

Works pretty well for me.

13. pubjoe
    OP

United Kingdom
    Sounds good.

14. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    Rule? Where is this rule stated? I'd like to see it.

If I wanted to, I could make all my websites viewable only on Firefox and no one could force me to make it IE compatible. You'd just get a message in giant red letters that says FIREFOX or GTFO.

15. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I think I've actually seen a website that says that.

Seemed to work fine in Opera though.

16. Costello

I understand your point though. However, I didn't code the Invision Power Board myself.
    I do my best to improve compatibility but this is hard work and I'm the only coder in the staff.
    IE6 and 7 are not developper-friendly, there's almost nothing I can do to fix the javascript issues with these browsers...

17. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    If you're having problems with GBAtemp using Internet Explorer, click here [​IMG]

18. pubjoe
    OP

United Kingdom
    I have no problems with the developers of the site, it is what it is and it's a very good site.

I mean no offence, I just got annoyed by the typical "web developers have a hard time catering for the likes of you [​IMG]" response.

I have actually worked as a web designer as a large part of my job for 4 years. At the time if I wanted my website to be viewed by the maximum number of people it would be tested for full compatibility with IE4, then netscape second, then anything else last. The client wants the largest audience to view it as possible - this goes with the job and goes without saying. Of course it's annoying having to root through for compatibilty issues, and I'm sure it's even more so now (although more standardised). But it's a poor designer who blames their targeted audience for not being able to view the content properly.

As I say, I have no issues with this site's designers (why would I?). Also firefox is a great browser. I just didn't appreciate being flamed for simply using the most common browser on the market and reporting that the website has a small problem with it.

P.S. I use firefox on my laptop [​IMG] ...My desktop PC (that I am on now) is used for sites that basically require IE to work properly. Maybe I will upgrade it to IE7, last time I did that though - I couldn't stand the layout - maybe it's time to try it again.

19. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    I still can't understand how can people use Internet Explorer. And previous versions too. There are much better browsers out there than that crap and it seems that people seem to refuse to use it just 'because it came with Windows'.

Seriously, guys, switch to something better than the gay Internet Exploder.

20. KaliKot

KaliKot Newbie

but but what about his proposal? I dont have 100 posts and ive been here like a fossil since the days when gba roms were here [​IMG]

i mean cmon look at my join date. and yeah seriously get firefox ie is like a spyware magnet