10 game limit.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by warnings, Nov 29, 2014.

1. warnings
    OP

warnings GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2009
    Canada
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a flash cart for the kid this x-mas. I'm not going to rely on gateway fairy tales.
    If GW does eventually pull through then I'll buy that later and donate current card to my nephew.
    So I'm stuck between the Sky3ds or R5sdhc which I'm sure you'll say are the same cards, different label.
    Sky3ds is on sale for $79.95 in Canada with 8GB micro-SD.
    R5sdhc states on it's description the following:

How to play 100 games with R5
    Attention: Even you can play 100 games so far, but you can still only save 10 games. As the records are in the kernel. Be sure that you have 10 favorites to play and save without problems at first

So if I were to do the hardware mod to read\write to Nand (which I'm going to do anyway) could I not just re-flash my base Nand backup and be good to go for 10 new games that save properly?

2. slowmotioning

slowmotioning GBAtemp Regular

Nov 1, 2014
    United States
    no, the 10 games are saved to the sky3ds card.

easiest would just be to pick up a 4.5fw 3ds + gateway, but if you want to stick to current fw you're going to have to deal with sky3ds or the gateway solution.

3. warnings
    OP

warnings GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2009
    Canada
    Forgot how easy it is to pickup a 3dsxl with 4.5fw...this is late 2014.
    At any rate I just bought the console and its on 6.0fw.
    My boy is 6yrs and 10in1 is a good solution even for $79.95

Danjal likes this.
  4. geishroy

geishroy Suspended

Suspended
    Dec 10, 2008
    United States
    42 results on ebay at this time. typically more. definitely so hard to find a 4.5 console. A lot of these are new...

5. warnings
    OP

warnings GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2009
    Canada
    $250 + shipping?
    Sky3ds it is.

6. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yeah I'd say it doesn't matter in your case. If you were looking to get actual value and full functionality out of your 3DS/flash cart, I'd just get a Gateway and wait. But a kid does not care about that stuff. 10 games is probably all the more he'd be interested in, and you've surely got an extra $35 to toss at it.

7. warnings
    OP

warnings GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2009
    Canada
    Yeah, thanks. He's only turning 6 and if I understand correctly its a pretty bullet proof way of switching games...press the red button.

8. Master X

Master X GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    The price depends on what model 3ds you get though.

I've found 3ds's going 150, and xl's going 180, though both are used.

Edit - US location, best I found for Canada was a nib XL at 220.

Given that he's 6, you'd likely be better off with the 2ds model instead of the 3ds.

9. warnings
    OP

warnings GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2009
    Canada
    Thinking Sky3ds is gonna be king this x-mas season. I also think there will be a clean hack come along to remove the game limit.
    He'll have 10 games to enjoy while things get worked out.

10. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Hard to tell. Gateway might have their exploit public by early/mid December. 9.3 might come along and break Sky3DS. More people might be willing to wait than spend the extra money. And of course, a lot of people don't even know that 3DS flashcarts exist or what their details are.

Things are moving pretty fast in the 3DS scene lately, any number of things could happen within the span of a few weeks.

11. warnings
    OP

warnings GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2009
    Canada
    9.3 will kill all carts IMHO. That's why I intend to do the nand mod prior to have him even use the system.
    He has a wii u so he is familiar with the homebrew channel and loaders via vwii.
    Why would a 2ds be better for a 6yr old? does 3ds fuck up their eyes?

12. nervx

nervx GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2006
    Canada
    wont happen, theres no menu or feature to allow updates since it imitates a retail card.
    if the chip is capable of holding more info than 10 games then it would still require some sort of usb loader to access the card itself.

im hoping gateway releases a hybrid card that can do the same stuff gateway currently does but also doubles as a sky3ds without limit.

13. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    According to the woowoo pseudo science types it does. In reality, probably not. Nintendo errs on the side of not wanting to be sued by whackos and so puts warnings on every 3DS game about this.

But in any case you can shut off 3d completely in parental controls if you so choose.

Probably worried that the clamshell will break, but if a kid's gonna be that rough, he'll probably wind up destroying the screens on a 2DS.

14. tangotnt

tangotnt Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    I just bought a 4.0-to 4.5 3ds xl (254.00) on ebay yesterday, :D
    I just don't know how to proceed with a gateway(haven't studied yet)

15. warnings
    OP

warnings GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2009
    Canada
    The cart can play 100 games...it's just not a clean hack, yet.
    With cubic ninja maybe a hack will hack the hack.