blahdc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I am new to this as I just received my first wii yesterday and installed the homebrew channel and usb loader gx. Yes I read the FAQ and I see that it says that only up to 512gb is supported. But I was wondering if that is out of date...

I formatted my 1TB drive and hooked it up, had the Wii format it and it shows the entire drive on a single partition.

Should I not do this??

Thanks.

caster62003

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try it, see what happens, the worst that can happen is you will either not be able to play games after a certain point on the drive, or you may have to re-format the drive again. It will not kill your Wii or anything, so go for it.

blahdc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
caster62003 said:
Try it, see what happens, the worst that can happen is you will either not be able to play games after a certain point on the drive, or you may have to re-format the drive again. It will not kill your Wii or anything, so go for it.

I understand that but I don't want to have 80+ games on there and find out that USB loader shows 9XX GB of space but it is limiting me to 512GB. Sense the Wii partions can only be read by Wii's I would be screwed since I can't transfer my games to a pc....

nubecoder

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
United States
blahdc said:
Sense the Wii partions can only be read by Wii's I would be screwed since I can't transfer my games to a pc....
Not true, any of the many WBFS managers can and do read from WBFS formatted drives, they can "extract" the game back off the HD, etc..

Use the search tool, browse through this section (backup loaders), etc.. I'm sure you will find plenty of WBFS Managers to suit your needs. Shameless plug for ncWBFSTool.

And to answer your question about the 512GB barrier, I believe it was a limitation in the beginning, but now it is not.

Although there seems to be some evidence that points to more efficient WBFS sector sizes when using partitions smaller than 512GB.

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
The limitation would seem to be down to the way in which WBFS stores the header table. This means there is a limit to the number of files that can be stored on it rather than a space limitation.

On a standard 512 byte sector disc this seems to be about 500 titles IIRC (number of bytes in sector minus WBFS header).

blahdc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dack said:
The limitation would seem to be down to the way in which WBFS stores the header table. This means there is a limit to the number of files that can be stored on it rather than a space limitation.

On a standard 512 byte sector disc this seems to be about 500 titles IIRC (number of bytes in sector minus WBFS header).

I'm a little confused...so are you saying that your external drive would have a limit of 2.5TB....assuming each game was 5GB?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: