1 TB Support?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by blahdc, Oct 1, 2009.

Oct 1, 2009

1 TB Support? by blahdc at 1:45 PM (1,023 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. blahdc
    OP

Newcomer blahdc Member

United States
    Hi,

I am new to this as I just received my first wii yesterday and installed the homebrew channel and usb loader gx. Yes I read the FAQ and I see that it says that only up to 512gb is supported. But I was wondering if that is out of date...

I formatted my 1TB drive and hooked it up, had the Wii format it and it shows the entire drive on a single partition.

Should I not do this??

Thanks.

2. jabmaster2

Member jabmaster2 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    tHat info u read was old 1tb is fine. I'm using one too

3. caster62003

Member caster62003 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Try it, see what happens, the worst that can happen is you will either not be able to play games after a certain point on the drive, or you may have to re-format the drive again. It will not kill your Wii or anything, so go for it.

4. smash_brew

Member smash_brew I may or may not have fallen

United States
    I have a 1tb and it works fine.

5. blahdc
    OP

Newcomer blahdc Member

United States
    I understand that but I don't want to have 80+ games on there and find out that USB loader shows 9XX GB of space but it is limiting me to 512GB. Sense the Wii partions can only be read by Wii's I would be screwed since I can't transfer my games to a pc....

6. nubecoder

Newcomer nubecoder Advanced Member

United States
    Not true, any of the many WBFS managers can and do read from WBFS formatted drives, they can "extract" the game back off the HD, etc..

Use the search tool, browse through this section (backup loaders), etc.. I'm sure you will find plenty of WBFS Managers to suit your needs. Shameless plug for ncWBFSTool.

And to answer your question about the 512GB barrier, I believe it was a limitation in the beginning, but now it is not.

Although there seems to be some evidence that points to more efficient WBFS sector sizes when using partitions smaller than 512GB.

7. Dack

Member Dack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    The limitation would seem to be down to the way in which WBFS stores the header table. This means there is a limit to the number of files that can be stored on it rather than a space limitation.

On a standard 512 byte sector disc this seems to be about 500 titles IIRC (number of bytes in sector minus WBFS header).

8. blahdc
    OP

Newcomer blahdc Member

United States
    I'm a little confused...so are you saying that your external drive would have a limit of 2.5TB....assuming each game was 5GB?