ROM Hack Zelda PH: Use arrow keys to control Link!

felix123

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
This is a way cool Zelda hack by namahanka. You can control Link with the DPad in addition to the touchscreen!

The patcher itself is in Simplified Chinese, but it will work on both the Japanese and Simplified Chinese (fan translation) roms.
Checkbox: Make backup
Buttons: Select file, About, Quit
Press select file, choose the rom. It should automatically create a backup.

Download
Original thread at NDSBBS

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
a patch I didn't want to see.

normally I'm happy to see romhacks for any game that do pretty much anything, but this is just a step backwards and a slap in nintendos face.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
damn, i wonder if this will work for the english ROM

actually, the file for controlls will probably be the same, so it'd be easy enough to compare that particular file to that in the original and U versions, then make it happen for the english release.

assuming this patch doesn't work on an english release, i'll attempt to adapt it to one myself.
mark me words there. seriously, fuck controlling link with just the stylus

this post brought to you without proper capitalization

mikagami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think having an option is really nice. Besides, isn't downloading the ROM in the first place a slap in Nintendo's face?

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a patch I didn't want to see.

normally I'm happy to see romhacks for any game that do pretty much anything, but this is just a step backwards and a slap in nintendos face.

I think it's a worthy slap in Nintendo's face. They need to be slapped like that more often. That's what they get for not giving you a choice of control methods. Especially since "some guy" can manage to do it, why didn't Ninty give you the option?

I hate having touchscreen use shoved down my throat unnecessarily. I don't see it as a step backward at all.

I hope the same type of hack comes out when the USA version is released.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
perhaps I should elaborate.

first, we all know there is a lot of people who still swear they hate the stylus controls, they would probably prefer to buy an R4, download the rom and apply this patch, rather than buy the game.

PH was built around the fact you control it with the stylus, so many parts of the game do not translate to button presses, I know there's the whole argument that you're not happy with what nintendo has done to your beloved Zelda.
That's a double edged argument, stop complaining for a second and consider those fans who are more than happy to see nintendo take their beloved Zelda in a slightly new direction.

the fact that the game would SUCK with dpad/button controls didn't stop whoever made this patch going through with his conceited dreams is enough for me to condemn it.
I hope this isn't the start of a new trend.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Who said anything about D-pad/button controls? The first post says that this patch just adds d-pad control of link to the regular stylus control.

Anyway, bitching about this makes as much sense as bitching about people cheating in their single player games. If someone wants to change/ruin their gaming experience, let them. As long as they don't somehow use it against you (i.e. online cheating), it's none of your business.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
At first I was "wtf" with stylus only control. After 15 minutes I got used to it and it's better than I thought.
So I'm not going back to D-pad. Besides, how do you control when to run and when to walk with d-pad?

Antihero2007

Trophies
XP
Country
I hate using the D-pad to move characters (It's slow and stiff) FF3 was much better with the touch screen used to move your character (Fluid and easy movement).

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I thought I would prefer d-pad, but after playing the first few minutes of the game I was satisfied with moving around with the stylus
smile.gif

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
At first I was "wtf" with stylus only control. After 15 minutes I got used to it and it's better than I thought.
So I'm not going back to D-pad. Besides, how do you control when to run and when to walk with d-pad?
Same.
This patch may be useful for some parts of the game, but you still need to use the touch screen most of the time, since not everything can be done with buttons.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't played the game yet (I'm waiting for an English version), so I might be wrong, but I can't help but think that moving with one hand (i.e. the d-pad) and doing the other stuff with the other hand (i.e. the stylus) would allow for quicker control at any given moment of action.

After 24 years of playing video games I think I'm ready to operate one with both hands at once.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not whether you prefer the D-pad or the stylus that matters. It's the ability to choose to use one or the other that matters most. When Ninty left out your ability to choose, that's when people start getting angry.

I don't mind using the stylus to control the path of the boomerang or whatever, but simple movement of Link?! Come on! I need a break from holding the DS with one hand while scribbling on the touchscreen with the other sometimes. Hand-cramps happen pretty quick when you're holding it that way for long periods of time. I can play all day using the D-pad and buttons, and a little touchscreen use doesn't bother me like it does with constant use, but I need a break from CONSTANT touchscreen use. Having a choice is a good thing.

That's why I think this patch is a good deal.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This topic should have been a poll.

As for the patch - personally I like the touchscreen control a lot. The only thing that I still don't get is how to roll. I can't do it every time. But whatever.

I agree the choice should have been there - but touchscreen control is so much better than regular button control.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I am not a karen, i am not maga, not severely mentally ill and not on meds, not 300 lbs, not missing all of my teeth, dont wear a bikini. Soooo. okay?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean if saving $2 on milk is saving $2 I'm buying it at Walmart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I go in don't cause a fuss and leave usually no problems
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :unsure::unsure::unsure::O:ohnoes: [goes to take my meds] :shy:
    A million and one things in this world catered to straight men and women. God forbid there's a display for lgbtq merch. How about walking past it if a person is not interested? Uh uh!!! Better watch out for those Satanic rainbows!!! lmao. MAGA crack me up.
    +1
    Right. I save $ getting grocers at walmart. So I continue to go.
    $2 on milk is great, imagine how much is saved when getting an entire cartful... vs the prices at my local ripoff grocery store.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Though I've been going to Aldis more often better lunch meat
    +2
    Is it worth it Gas wise? Length of travel.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    lgbqt products
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got 3 stores all within half a mile and a gas station in that same area so it's worth it
    +1
    LGBTQIA+ Products :D
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not the gay ride lunch meat :ohnoes:
    Walmart is an 60 mile round trip for me, and yes, I still spend less even after the gas cost. :) I dont go there just for milk. I do 2 big hauls a month, fill the cart up.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gay Ride™ at a Walmart near you
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lol GBAtemp mentioned in the latest Bringus Studios video
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    never heard of that developer
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, was my anti hate trolling shitbox messages recorded
    :O Holy Cow 60 Miles !
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    why people use miles
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At 60 miles I'd just use instacart
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @NinStar, cause 8 miles and runnin
    LOL! I'd lmao if they put a gay ride in the little arcade section they have in this walmart. It could be like the horses rides you put quarters in, except it would be like the ambiguously gay duo cartoon & you sit on top of the other guy thats in a "flying" position. LMAO!
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: LOL! I'd lmao if they put a gay ride in the little arcade section they have in this walmart. It...