Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Hi,
I'm scared to death about it.
is there any serial number series that have higher chance for hinge crack?
is there any way to prevent it?
a guy said here that it will happen anyway, is it true? cuz engadget said that Nintendo said that it will happen on 0.02% of DSLs.
i read an old topic here about it but it didnt get to a conclusion.
plz help cuz i'm having nightmares about it and i cant replace it cuz i live in a country where Nintendo doesnt provide help and i cant mail it cuz the price of mailing and mailing back is more than a brand new. i cant even find a new DSL here.
thnx for ur contribution.

Xanikseo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's just a tiny crack in the hinge, you won't notice it if you don't look specifically to see if there is a crack, and there's a 99.98% chance that you'll get a DS Lite without it.

It's not much to worry about. I don't have a crack on my hinge...

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
1- it seems its more than 0.02% of people.
2- does the newer DSL's still have this defect? i bought mine 1month ago from USA, new york, the Nintendo World Store, do u think mine will crack too?
3- @PokeyStix: as i saw in some pix, it will evntually break up and ...
4- is it possible to use crazy glue to fix this problem when arises?
5- is there anyway to prevent it or it will happen anyway? some said overtightning or like that, but i dont believe it.

i'm so nervous since i got my DSL, cuz every 5minutes i'm checking it for a crack, and since i cant exchange it (i live in a 3rd wolrd country).

plz help me and answer my questions.

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
my white dsl hinge broke off
frown.gif
it takes forever to reach nintendo uk by phone

blurrysarah

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I read that it was linked to how far you open your DS.
1st click = ok
2nd click to 180 degrees = not so good, puts more stress the hinge.

I've had my white DS since the aussie launch, and I only ever open it to the 1st click. So far, no signs of cracking.

TheBlueStylus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a hinge crack. The one on the left is caused because there is a metal coupling that's used for the hinge, and it causes the left hinge to be tighter. What I did, is I made the coupling smaller with pliers, and the crack which used to be like 1mm wide, is now pretty much closed. The only down side is the top screen wobbles a little, but I don't notice it now because I'm using Armorlite by Playtech I believe. As for the right side, probably the pictures you've seen with the top screen totally broken off, people say its because of two internal screws that hold the hinge in place being overtightened. I don't think it's that, I think it's more of Nintendo's fault for not putting some support in that area to keep the plastic from continuously flexing when the DS is opened, and also, I think the problem isn't because it's overtightened, but undertightened. Not the screws holding the hinge, but the bottom case being screwed to the inner case. I've taken my DS apart many times, and sometimes when I don't screw it tight enough back together, the inner case (the one the buttons are put through) flexes under the stress, and I can see if this kept going on, it would just snap off from continuous flexing. When the case is tightly screwed, I notice it doesn't flex, and is more solid. Just my two bits on the situation anyways. I haven't heard of anyone's right hinge totally breaking off recently, so I think Nintendo went back and checked the production line and tweaked what needed to be tweak. If you got yours I wouldn't be worried, because Nintendo is aware of this, and they probably have taken measure's to fix the problem, but never know where the older shipments are still available.

poloman

Trophies
XP
Country
my white one has cracked, but the black one, bought at the same time is fine. i use each one and the crack doesnt affect it at all - im not worried about it.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have to agree with TheBlueStylus... I have a crack on the inside portion of my hinge, and when I took the DS apart to look into it I noticed the metal coupling's opening was facing the crack. Used some pliers and a bit of patience and compressed the ring and faced it's opening elsewhere about a week ago and the crack has not spread (if it had I would have used a tiny drill bit to make a pressure relief at the end of the crack to prevent it from continuing).

So, all in all, if you can't exchange it and you are comfortable with tools, open the DS up and look into compressing that ring, and make sure them two screws are the correct ones, and snug. Be sure when you stick it back together that, for example, the wifi antenna wire doesn't get pinched, so that the case goes back together snug like it was when you got the thing.

Philosophy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a white DS lite which has developed the hinge crack.
Does it affect game play-No
Does it suck-Yes, I baby my DS and I am pissed that I have a crack that happened by something I have really no control over.
Is it gonna make you wanna replace your DS-Not really, it's more of just an annoyance as you look at the crack every now and then and wonder what else is it affecting.
Do I think that Nintendo will do anything about it-Probably not, but maybe if you bitch enough.

It's more of an annoyance as you have a crack in your system than anything else. I have noticed that the white DS lites are a lot more prone to the crack than any other color, which leads me to think that it was a big enough issue to them to make a change. (A LITTLE like the Wii strap issue.....) Put it like this, it's enough of an issue for you to look at it and say "Shit!", but not really enough to make you wanna boycott nintendo.

mattwasx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've seen the hinge actually break on 4 ds phats. I didnt know the lite still had a problem with the hinge. I traded my phat ds into gamestop with a crack in and hinge and upgraded to a ds lite. My bro broke his because he dropped it while it was in his backpack.

zQi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own a launch DS Lite, and it had a hairline left hinge crack until finally a tiny centimeter-wide piece came off from where the crack was. Now there is a little slit where you can see the metal hinge part underneath the plastic.

I also noticed a hairline crack on top of the ds near where the right R shoulder button is. My R Button at some point became less responsive, not depressing as easily. Eventually the hinge under that crack came right off. That's the entire right hinge. The screen was loose now and held on the DS only by the left hinge. Everything was still working fine.

I just sent it to Nintendo a week ago, and they said they would replace the entire housing for me.

I have pictures if anyone wants to see.

six-five-two

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mine is still working fine, got one of those plastic covers for it aswell... Joytech Armor Case if anyone is wondering.. Works awesome. $10

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn