YodaBoy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
no prizes here, i just want to see what people think.

if some on acctuly knows let me know so i can wonder about more usefull things

mavis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
no prizes here, i just want to see what people think.

if some on acctuly knows let me know so i can wonder about more usefull things

You left out the "Who cares?" option ...
wink.gif

Anyway, I think it was developed by the R4 people - why would M3 go through the trouble of designing TWO slot1 solutions, when this one works GREAT as-is?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
From the engrish response from the M3 team it sounded to me like they commissioned them from a factory and the factory used the hardware to make their own unit. Although who knows and, yeah, who cares
wink.gif

ydnar64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i think (iam r4ds user) is that r4ds is pirate copy of m3.

I highly doubt that. They have EXTREMELY similar hardware but still slight diffrences. Plus you pirate software and not hardware. This can be disputed with cases of imitation hardware, but those lack quality and will break easily. I belive both units were developed as one unit by a single group of people and then they split up into two seperate groups (M3 was always there) R4 then just made a very small change and there you have it. Two diffrent companies with two similiar units. This is all speculation of course!

SynGamer

Trophies
Website
syngamer.com
XP
Country
United States

I highly doubt that. They have EXTREMELY similar hardware but still slight diffrences. Plus you pirate software and not hardware. This can be disputed with cases of imitation hardware, but those lack quality and will break easily. I belive both units were developed as one unit by a single group of people and then they split up into two seperate groups (M3 was always there) R4 then just made a very small change and there you have it. Two diffrent companies with two similiar units. This is all speculation of course!
I thought it was confirmed by the M3 team that the M3 Simply was developed by them (software) and the R4 was developed by the factory (software), while both were made in the same factory using the same parts.

magebarf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Still, the idea I've tried to launch; Think about the numbers...

I at least know of a M2, which as far as I know was Movie-player version 2. Then it went on to M3.

So, IIRC: GBAMP->M2->M3...

What if the same team decided to go nintendo about it and decided to develop the R(evolution)4?

At the same time, how would they do to maximise their exposion while still keeping their strong brand? At least in my own eyes M3 screams of quality, and I think most of you also consider M3 to be a high quality brand. So, lets dual-market, and by that doubling the number of reviews of what is basically the same product...

So, as I see it: GBAMP->M2->M3->R4 (or the M3 Simply) is the lineage of the same team's products.

wuka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
M3 and R4 uses the same hardware. Differences between the two seems to be for hardware identification (brand and language config).

M3 and R4 uses the same software. Differences between the two seems to be the skins only.

So my wild guess...
wacko.gif

Since R4 takes the 0 hardware ID and M3 takes the 1 hardware ID, R4 probably made it. Perhaps M3 helped with R&D a little, but M3 is probably just reselling R4 under their brand.

There's two more open hardware IDs btw, so we could maybe see others reselling these.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
But of course, that would be logical seeing R4 was released earlier and the moonshell on M3 says it uses R4TF FileSystem somewhere.

It's just made by the R4 team and then M3 thought it would be cool if they had the same cart with their name on it too. Or there is also a possibility that M3 and R4 are just the same company, but R4 didn't copy M3's cartridge, it's the other way...

rest0re

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
what does it matter if you put out a product first? it still might be a pirate copy of original. at least it seems to be so, but this is just speculation...

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
George from GameYeeeah.com (Gameyeeeah are making the R4 themselves) told me the following - keep in mind that he is chinese:

QUOTE said:
Costello: some people say that the R4 is the same as M3 ? do you believe them?
George/GameYeeeah: Frankly, M3 is based on manufacturing team
Costello: on the same?
George/GameYeeeah: not exactly
Costello: ah
George/GameYeeeah: R4 provides OEM for a lot of flash card team
George/GameYeeeah: it brings its products line to this competition
George/GameYeeeah: R4 will brings more products to the consumers
George/GameYeeeah: R4 has powerful engineer team to serve customers with quality, quantities and decent price

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer/Manufacturing

So basically the R4 team are providing the OEM.
The M3 team use the R4 team's OEM.
And from what he says, there's probably more that use their OEM.

digital_sin

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
posted this before but here goes again:

Here's my theory:
R4 team was payed by the M3 team to rebaggage (OEM) their SLOT1 card as the M3 simply, and keep it updated like the R4 for a small sum of money(propably 2.5$ extra a piece or something). in simple terms, they buy R4s from the R4 team, put a M3 sticker on them, change the position of the jumper pins, and sell them as their product under their name, hoping that everyone who sees a M3 label on a product will gladly pay 5$ extra for it. That would also propably explain why the M3 team announced on the launch of "their" new product that they're going to release a better one soon(aka M3 diamond or whatever), which means that this M3 was just a filler in the gap that they're going to need to develop "the real thing", just so that they can earn a little money on the side while "the real m3" is in development, and also keep their name in the bussiness without dissapearing for too long. It's propably also why they don't have a website of their own for the M3 Simply.

If my theory is correct then:
1)The R4 is always gonna be the one who gets updated first, then the M3 with the exact same features in the new R4 update
2)You'll never need to switch from one flashcart to the other UNLESS the R4 team stops releasing the M3 version of the firmware for them.
3)If you bought both the M3 and the R4, you've just got punked.
4)If you bought an M3 over the R4 because you're expecting support/better flash cart, see point number 3.

Again, that's just IMHO and theory. And according to Costello, it seems to be true.

glitchbit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is very simple, M3 has been very vague in explaining all this imo.

I think the M3 team had VERY little involvement with the actual process of making the M3 Simply. The R4 team/manufacturer did it, hardware wise and software wise, otherwise we'd be seeing M3 updates first if the M3 team pioneered this peice of hardware and/or was the main team behind its running firmware. Neither is true so it makes me believe this is a show ran by just one team, R4. And M3 is "Simply" enjoying the ride, riding on their coat tails.

Densen

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think the reason that this is interesting to some people is because everyone initially assumed that M3 created it due to their reputation. People also thought that R4 would have worse support. This probably won't be the case as it looks like R4 have control over the design of the hardware/software.

That said, I don't think there's any benefit of being owner of one and not the other. Both will surely receive identical support and updates till the end seeing as they're identical.

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As far as I understand it --from reading Costello's post and also the response of the M3 team/Danny to the almost exact same question-- the M3 team uses another source to manufacture it's products because obviously the company isn't rich enough to have it's own factory. So, the R4 team were sent the specs of what the M3 team wanted them to manufacture, and then the R4 team decided to repackage and sell the product themselves as well. Therefore, because the R4 team don't have to pay anyone to make their product for them, (they are making it themselves) their profit margin is somewhat larger, so they can afford to sell them cheaper.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1