EnigmaXtreme

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Project Sora director Masahiro Sakurai discusses all things Smash Brothers during the latest segment of the popular Iwata Asks.

As I’m sure the majority of you are aware the game is coming to both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. A lot of questions about the game remain unanswered though, especially the way that the two games will interact with each other. Anyway, here’s some of Sakura’s thoughts and musings regarding the highly anticipated game.

Internal talk about creating a new Smash Bros. first started a bit after the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl on Wii in 2008.

This was about the time Nintendo first asked Sakurai to make a 3DS game. Iwata realized that fans would want a new Smash Bros. for the 3DS, but he was unsure if it would be okay to ask Sakurai to make another Smash Bros. immediately following Brawl.

When Iwata first mentioned the development of Wii U to Sakurai, it seems that Sakurai immediately realized that they’d need to make Smash Bros. for both platforms.

Iwata had actually intended to ask him if he’d like to make the game for 3DS or for Wii U.

Sakurai had actually begun thinking about what he’d do with the next Smash Bros. while he worked on Kid Icarus.

He felt that it would be wrong to make a mere extension of Super Smash Bros. Melee (GameCube) and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. He did not feel that it would be right to just increase the volume, adding 50 characters or doubling the stages for instance.

He also felt it would be wrong to just improve the visuals. This is why he felt that selecting to make the game for the console just because it would have greater performance would be wrong.

Making a portable version had its appeal for him, as they’d be able to do a number of new things. At the same time, there would be limits, as they’d be handicapped in some areas when it comes to offering the usual enjoyment areas of Smash Bros.

Specifically, Sakurai feels that a portable system makes the game a more “individual” experience in that, compared to a console, it’s easier to make players attached to the data that they’ve built up and collected. The fact that you’re carrying the hardware with you makes for a more personal experience.

The difficulty here is that the current Smash Bros. games haven’t relied on rewards, collecting money or raising your character’s level. There’s no element of gaining experience to make your character stronger, Iwata noted.

Adding the notion of experience would pose a dilmena, explained Sakurai, as there are some players who would get into such a game, while others would not like it. Iwata added that placing a focus on experience would also make the game lose its instant play quality.

What Sakurai hopes to do is have the 3DS version of Smash Bros. allow players to build up their character through battle and rewards, then take their custom character to the Wii U version to face off against everyone. He feels it could be nice if they can make the “personal” portable space and the stadium-like “public” console space mesh together.

Iwata summed it the basic idea nicely: players would spend time on the 3DS version, building up their character and collecting stuff, then show off their skills on the Wii U version.

Sakurai noted that as the Wii U is an HD system, this version could offer 60 frames per second visuals, high quality graphics, dynamic effects, and smooth character movements.

While it is important to have both versions of the game be enjoyable on their own, Sakurai feels that connectivity between the two versions will make the experience even more enjoyable.

Closing off the little section offering vague hints about the new Smash Bros. games, Sakurai said that his aim with the 3DS version is to offer players a slightly different experience from conventional Smash Bros. games. He believes that there is merit in having skilled and unskilled players play together, so one emphasis will be on elements of players helping one-another.

Source

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
QUOTE said:
Iwata summed it the basic idea nicely: players would spend time on the 3DS version, building up their character and collecting stuff, then show off their skills on the Wii U version.
I hope they don't dumb down the 3DS version, making stuff only available for the Wii U while 3DS players are left out.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I like the connectivity and using your personal trained characters on Wii u.
I hope you can control them using a 3DS too
smile.gif

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You know Ill shut my bitchy Nintendo mouth for this time you know. No fan boy-talk for once.

I think this game will be okay. Lets hope they balance the characters a bit etc. update visuals add something people will hype the hell off.

I am happy if they do what I said.

Also don't add to many new characters this could lead to make it more unbalanced. Take Ike from Brawl if your using it right its way to overpowered. It becomes boring to play Smash and you'll lose your interest on some moments. This is my personal experience.

Of course make it Nintendo ONLY. Sonic is okay(since people can play with him) Snake would also be no problem but let the rest OUT of it. Simon Belmont for example try to think about his attacks. They need to be balanced and smooth. Thats HARD work. And if they will use the Final Smashes again then I really would like to see a good offensive attack, so freaking crosses are so dissorentating. I cannot remember a character using a big item to throw to others while they are in Final Smash. Make it like Castlevania Judgment.(Simon's Final Smash)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark Langin said:
Lets hope they balance the characters a bit

Heh, that was a nice joke.

Smash Bros. is more about just having fun than actually being a fighting game. There's nothing wrong with that, but they're just atrocious at character balancing. That being said, most characters are usable to decent success, so odds are you can play as a favorite.

I probably will be skipping this generation's Smash Bros. I bought my Wii for SSBB and I liked it a lot, but my Wii basically gathered dust for a good time after I finished having fun with it. If it wasn't for piracy it would probably still be gathering dust. It was unfortunately a console seller but it kept me out of the HD loop for years until I had enough money for a Xbox 360.

EDIT: To clarify, basically I won't be playing this version because I won't be buying the consoles.

Plus I'm enjoying the shit out of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and it seems to be my favorite fighter this generation (outside of Dissidia, but that's not really a fighter).

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
prowler_ said:
QUOTE said:
I hope they don't dumb down the 3DS version, making stuff only available for the Wii U while 3DS players are left out.
i dont like that idea that means you'd need both the wii u and 3ds to play it properly...

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bladexdsl said:
prowler_ said:
QUOTE said:
i dont like that idea that means you'd need both the wii u and 3ds to play it properly...

Nintendo does since they get more money.

Thats why.

Shiro09

AAI2 Localisation Team
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
prowler_ said:
QUOTE said:
Yeh, I hope I can stille play it like a normal Super Smash Bros. game.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
iceissocold said:
They don't want to increase the character roster? Uhh that just slightly killed the excitement for me.

They will add some characters I can tell that. Don't worry about that, since I understand and he does not want to add 50 maybe 10 would be good enough. Really its hard to chose already the last thing they want at Nintendo is to make it hard for us.
happy.gif

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
iceissocold said:
They don't want to increase the character roster? Uhh that just slightly killed the excitement for me.
They don't want to just increase the character roster. They want to do that and more.

If they make the 3DS version just single player I'll hate them forever.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Never liked these games and never understood why there's such a big fuzz over it. I like Tekken a lot, but this just seems to be a tad too advanced and pro for my liking. I get the same feeling with Pokemon games. All the people playing online are way too serious and care about EV and IV or whatever, I don't give a fuck, I just want to train and battle, that's it.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
I just hope that the 3DS version doesn't get left out in terms of features and content compared to the Wii U version. That would majorly suck.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Unless it's possible to "train" your character using only the Wii U version, odds are I won't be buying either version. Not sinking THAT much money into a series that underwhelmed me in its last game.

BTW, they already had the stat-boosting idea in Brawl, via stickers.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Story mode should have parts of different sagas. Like fox riding his arwing, snake doing a MGS system style mission, etc

Multiplayer should be like a mini Smash Brawl including smash ball, featuring mario rpg characters, final fantasy characters (the most famous ones, like sephirot), etc.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
Dark Langin said:
Lets hope they balance the characters a bit

Heh, that was a nice joke.

Smash Bros. is more about just having fun than actually being a fighting game. There's nothing wrong with that, but they're just atrocious at character balancing. That being said, most characters are usable to decent success, so odds are you can play as a favorite.

QUOTE(Satangel @ Jun 13 2011, 03:18 PM)
Never liked these games and never understood why there's such a big fuzz over it. I like Tekken a lot, but this just seems to be a tad too advanced and pro for my liking. I get the same feeling with Pokemon games. All the people playing online are way too serious and care about EV and IV or whatever, I don't give a fuck, I just want to train and battle, that's it.

Exactly. I think the characters do need to be more balanced for exactly Satanagel's reason. I used to play SSBB for fun as one of my favourite games. But ever since one of my friends heard of it he's now overly obsessed. He takes things too seriously and as a result he kills me every time. Then say I pick Ganondorf he will go and pick someone fast such as Sonic. This is why they need to be balanced.

Zaiga

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't like the idea of leveling up characters. I'm extremely hesistant as to what is going to happen, Brawl was alright, but Melee was more my thing. I wish Sakurai would continue along the Melee path but I know he won't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That green LED on the face shinning at you tho, be annoying.