OMGLX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, I've got a doozy here.

Anyone even willing to merely READ through the following wall of text is eligible for various sexual favors from me.

Anyhow, I'm running 4.1U, right?--

I followed this step-by-step, having already had HBC up and running in order to play Wii VC .wads, primarily. Ran into some hiccups as is the usual when trying to hack anything as a nub like myself. After installing various cIOSes (which may be part of the issue in question) I determined that is was my USB HD that was incompatible with the process. I went out and got a AC powered WD drive and have been having fun ever since!

I appended a couple more IOSes in order to get my Monster Hunter backup functioning, btw. Hermes' combined IOSes, to be exact.

I ran my backup of SSX Blur, and quit to the Wii System Menu using the Home menu, and was met with the dreaded black screen. I late read that trying to chain load games may not be the best of practices. Great. I searched online how to circumvent/undo this black screen I was running into after I press A to get through the Health Screen, and learned about the Maintenance Menu. Pressed + & - at the Health Screen, and was able to access the System Menu, HBC & my Forwarded USB Loader GX channel, run games, run WiiWare & VC games without a problem. That is, unless I tried to kick back to the Wii Menu.

Wherein I get that black screen. I also discovered recently that I cannot get into my Mii channel, because it's corrupted or some other.. This saddens me greatly.

Because I cannot leave well enough alone, I set out to fix this problem. I think I have something like 25 cIOSes now. :wtf:

I have made little headway in this endeavor, but I have attended to some things in the meantime.

I installed Preloader .29, then upgraded to Priiloader, (finally) installed BootMii and backed up my NAND (in case I screw things up worse.)

Tried to use a .wad to reinstall System Menu 4.1U, nothing. Put Priiloader back on immediately. Tried to use Priiloader to self-delete and restore the system menu, nothing. Put Priiloader back on immediately.

I did some more extensive searching, and reasoned that I am experiencing the rare and troublesome Mailbox Brick. I followed the suggested step-by-step to get and use the FT Toolbox Mailbox Brick Fix. Got into the system NAND, flashed data from the SD card, trying to induce a mailbox account failure and reinstall.

That didn't work, BUT...now when I kick back to the Wii System Menu from HBC, it loads just fine. I can see everything, everything works, I can see the Mailbox and messages in it (saved from Rabbids Go Home, man those little guys are so humorous.) Tried to access the Mii Channel... says it's corrupted as before, hit A to return to menu... black screen lock up.

If I try to access the System Menu through any other process... BootMii, or circumventing BootMii from a power on... black screen lock up.

Any suggestions? Do I back up all my WiiWare/ VC games and saves with Waninoko's Savegame Backup tool and brave a Wii reformat, or should I just leave well enough alone since it's only a semi-brick?

Any insight as all is highly appreciated, tried over at the USB Loader GX forums (back when I thought maybe that program was the source of the issue, don't really think that now) and haven't heard anything.

Many thanks!

~LX.

muck chucker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your on 4.1 upgrade to 4.2 using the sticky at the top of the main page and then use the dop tool to check all you ios's and make sure they are all upto date.

OMGLX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
muck chucker said:
If your on 4.1 upgrade to 4.2 using the sticky at the top of the main page and then use the dop tool to check all you ios's and make sure they are all upto date.

Could it be that simple? I will start this process soon and report back. Thank you!

OMGLX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This appears to have worked swimmingly. Thank you very much, I'll relay this obvious bit of information to any fellow noobs who have the same issue.

EDIT: Gah, spoke too soon. Still black screens sometimes when entering System Menu, and Mii Channel is still borked.

jelmew

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
OMGLX said:
This appears to have worked swimmingly. Thank you very much, I'll relay this obvious bit of information to any fellow noobs who have the same issue.

EDIT: Gah, spoke too soon. Still black screens sometimes when entering System Menu, and Mii Channel is still borked.

Well, first lets get the mii channel fixed. Use DOP-Mii V12 to re-install the mii channel for your region. Then report back wether the wii still black-screens.
http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/DOP-Mii

OMGLX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jelmew said:
OMGLX said:

Well, first lets get the mii channel fixed. Use DOP-Mii V12 to re-install the mii channel for your region. Then report back wether the wii still black-screens.
http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/DOP-Mii

Mii Channel fixed, YAY! Thank you, thank you, and thank you.

Wii still black screens when trying to go back to menu... Ugh...
frown.gif

Poopie... Now I have the sad face.

OMGLX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that did it, maui. Many thanks to everyone who assisted me on the way, I super appreciate it.

OMGLX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gah. Happened again. Re-REinstalled ios70-v6687 w/ patches and ios31-v3349 w/o

No luck. So confused!

OMGLX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, I'm sorry to ressurectabump such an old ass thread, but I'm still having problems with my Wii, and I was hoping for a little more insight in search of a permanent solution.
frown.gif

OMGLX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That appeared to have worked momentarily, but as soon as I played a game and tried to kick back to the menu, it wrecked again.

Then, I did what you said AGAIN, and played a game-- turned OFF the Wii instead of trying to exit to the System Menu... same semi-brick.
frown.gif

OMGLX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I HATE not having things not working, especially because I'd like for my gf and roommates to be able to play Wii without constantly calling on me to ask me why the hell things aren't working.

Can I just rollback the whole thing to factory and restart the whole update/modify process using the far more comprehensive GBAtemp hack guide (as I should have from the beginning?)

OMGLX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet, thank you so much! Wicked fast reply.
tongue.gif

May I ask you-- is this a suggestible solution? I'm a bit frightened that it suggests brick protection, of which I have none that doesn't require the hacks I'd be removing in the process.

Everything else I've tried to unfuck this softbrick hasn't worked thus far and I'm desperate to get rid of this niggling last thing that is keeping me from having a perfect Wii!

EseHomes

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Riley said:
Are you fucking serious man? How many times have you read on this forum that EVERYONE does not recommend this guide. It usually does not help anyone but instead hurts them and bricks their wii. I know I'm not the only person that has had an issue with your recommendations in the past. You are the equivalent of a mechanic recommending to someone to change their blinker fluid.

Don't EVER try to virginize a wii unless you dont care about it possibly becoming nonfunctional. Just follow the guide in the sticky to hack ANY wii, and follow it from the start, you are a lot safer that way.

OMGLX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
daxtsu said:
Don't revirginize. Just rehack using the stickied guide at the top of the forum..

I can try that, but I feel like I've tried that before. I could be wrong. I've gone through thinking it was a mailbox bug to thinking it was my Mii Channel (which is since fixed) to removing any stubbed IOS's, etc.

I'll have to to try it tomorrow.

Riley

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EseHomes said:
Riley said:
Are you fucking serious man? How many times have you read on this forum that EVERYONE does not recommend this guide. It usually does not help anyone but instead hurts them and bricks their wii. I know I'm not the only person that has had an issue with your recommendations in the past. You are the equivalent of a mechanic recommending to someone to change their blinker fluid.

Don't EVER try to virginize a wii unless you dont care about it possibly becoming nonfunctional. Just follow the guide in the sticky to hack ANY wii, and follow it from the start, you are a lot safer that way.

K UNDERSTAND that if it was not useful to anyone & it bricks wii's, they wouldn't put it on the CSG website. You can indeed virginize your wii and it will work fine. Now stop trying to flame me and pretend you know what your talking about.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BOOTMII AS BOOT2 or priiloader installed before you try any of this.

@OP But if your just gonna rehack your wii afterwords then there is no point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: And what?