Gaming Wii Games of the Month: February 2010

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The return of my Peabody-winning monthly column, Wii/DS Games of the Month! Yes, I'm posting early, but it's better to post before February begins and I have midterms for most of next week. I was also board and I get endless enjoyment from writing longs editorials.

You can read the DS version of this thread right here

Some rules and stuff.

- No flaming. If I list a game you don't like, too bad. If I don't, too bad.
- This is mainly North American releases, sorry. I'll, on occasion, do a European or Japanese release if it's big enough and not already out in America.
- If a game is already released in English and is being released again for another region, I won't bother adding it. Like say if Super Mario Galaxy 2 was out in America in April (it won't) and it came out in May in Europe, I won't list it for May. I'll also do the same if a game was released in English (aka Europe or America) and is being released in Japan.
- I get my dates from GameFaqs, Wikipedia, and IGN, so if a date is wrong don't blame me. You can, of course, point it out and ask me to fix it if you have the right date.

Zangeki no Reginleiv

Developed by: Sandlot
Published by: Nintendo
Release date: February 11th (Japan)
Genre: Action
My Hype Level: Has some bad-ass looking features, but language barrier sucks
GBAtemp Hype Level: Not much rumble

reginleivannounce.jpg

People always say "Nintendo doesn't support hardcore and mature games!" Well... That's true, unless it's theirs. Nintendo is publishing this Japanese bad boy, which has tons of blood and limb slicing, so I guess you can't say that Nintendo never does mature titles. Anyway, the game totes tons of hacking and slashing action, WM+ support, over 300 weapons (with customization as well), and four player online co-op. Are you as hard as I am yet? Still, the language barrier seems like it'd be real harsh, and this just doesn't feel like a title that would come to America. Sorry.

Shiren the Wanderer

Developed by: Chunsoft
Published by: Atlus (America)
Release date: February 9th
Genre: RPG
My Hype Level: I haven't really tried many roguelikes
GBAtemp Hype Level: Not real big fans of the balls-to-the-wall difficulty

shirenwii_boxart_rp1boxart_160h.jpg

This is actually the third Shiren the Wanderer game, but only the second one being released in the US. Anyway, this is a rogue-like game and part of the Mystery Dungeon series (which lends its name to the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games) which is apparently insanely difficult. I haven't tried it yet, so I can't attest to it, but expect your ass to get handed to you on more than one occasion. If you're a fan of rogue-likes and enjoy the difficulty, this may be your paradise. For those who aren't, I'd suggest skipping this one.

Super Monkey Ball: Step n' Roll

Developed by: Amusement Vision
Published by: SEGA
Genre: Action?
My Hype Level: Never really liked Super Monkey Ball
GBAtemp Hype Level: Not a lot of hubbub

Super-Monkey-Ball-Step-and-Roll_WII_CVR_SHT_ESRBboxart_160h.jpg

If I'm correct, this is actually a remake of the original Super Monkey Ball for the Gamecube, except with Wii Balance Board support. I'm not sure how great the Balance Board is, but this could be some nice lighthearted fun. It also has some more mini-games and new levels, so if you liked the original Super Monkey Ball you may enjoy this. That is if you're good with a balance board.

Data East Arcade Classics

Developed by: G1M2
Published by: Majesco
Genre: Compilation
My Hype Level: Maybe I'm too young, but I've never heard of these games
GBAtemp Hype Level: No chatter

data_east_cag_wii_esrbboxart_160h.jpg

I've never heard of any of these games. Still, they are some older arcade games, and I do love compilation games. I read an article about this in Nintendo Power while I was sitting on the crapper, and it did mildly get my attention. Well, that is if anyone can determine if these games are shit or not.

Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing

Developed by: Sumo Digital
Published by: SEGA
Release date: February 23rd
Genre: Racing
My Hype Level: Another Sonic license butchering?
GBAtemp Hype Level: Fuck, another Sonic game?

Sega-Sonic-AllStars-Racing_US_ESRB_Wiiboxart_160h.jpg

Yes, this is the same text from the DS description. Boo-hoo.

This seems to be SEGA's take on Mario Kart, although they do bring in other SEGA characters, like Billy Hatcher and Beat from Jet Set Radio. The confirmed list right now is still kinda small, but given SEGA's extensive library of characters, who knows? If they give me Jack from MadWorld on his bike in the Wii version, I'll love this game forever. Still, it really does come off as another butchering of Sonic's license. And this poor hedgehog has been through the ringer too many times.

On another note, WHY THE FUCK DOES SONIC NEED A CAR??? His name is "Sonic" after all! He's supposed to be super fast, faster than any of the little karts in this game can go! Sheesh.

Other titles

- Endless Ocean: Blue World (America): 2/22

Overall Summary

It seems like all the big titles that I thought were gonna be released this month actually weren't. That kinda leaves us with a dry spell of a month. Zangeki seems to be incredibly awesome, but is offsetting with the Japanese language barrier, Shiren has a very small area of appeal, Super Monkey Ball is still borderline between looking good or bad, Data East is a little too unknown for me, and Sonic Racing could easily be a butchering of Sonic's license.

For next month, get ready for some big titles. Red Steel 2 drops down, offering us some badass sword swinging and gun slinging action. We also get Fragile, a new RPG game for the Wii, Sakura Wars, LEGO Harry Potter, and Mega Man 10.

Have a fun February everyone!

updowners

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't seem to interesting for me :\ I'll probably look forward to the Phoenix Wright games being re-released to Wiiware.

myuuji

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
updowners said:
Doesn't seem to interesting for me :\ I'll probably look forward to the Phoenix Wright games being re-released to Wiiware.

I second this.

I've just finished the first one. damn, I love this franchise!

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am going to shit myself when Endless Ocean: Blue Ocean comes out. I loved the first one, and if they upgraded the engine of the first one... This will be a beautiful game.
biggrin.gif

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sterl500 said:
I am going to shit myself when Endless Ocean: Blue Ocean comes out. I loved the first one, and if they upgraded the engine of the first one... This will be a beautiful game.
biggrin.gif

wacko.gif

Anyway, nothing for me this month, except maybe that first title, but as you mentioned, the language barrier is going to be too hard
frown.gif

Hopefully we see it announced for US/EU soon, although I too doubt it....

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
Sterl500 said:
biggrin.gif

wacko.gif

Anyway, nothing for me this month, except maybe that first title, but as you mentioned, the language barrier is going to be too hard
frown.gif

What's wrong with liking Endless Ocean? It is one of the best looking 3D simulation games for the Wii. The new one has more RPG elements than the first one, so it should be all the fun of the first one and more.
tongue.gif

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sterl500 said:
Satangel said:
Sterl500 said:
biggrin.gif

wacko.gif

frown.gif

What's wrong with liking Endless Ocean? It is one of the best looking 3D simulation games for the Wii. The new one has more RPG elements than the first one, so it should be all the fun of the first one and more.
tongue.gif

The fact that you are going to shit yourself over a game.
That's wrong.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sega Racing: It is by Sumo Digital who do some great racers but they do slip every now and again. Unsure about it.

Endless Ocean 2: The first game was one of those that seemed shit but grew on you, not sure if I care enough to play this one though.

That is it...I can already play all of the Data East Arcade Classics on various machines anyway and not all have aged well sadly.

I've got enough to play anyway on PC, PSP, NDS and there are still a few Wii titles in this month we've still yet to have. Hopefully some long awaited WiiWare titles will drop in the next month.

ibis_87

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Endless Ocean! I know it's not exactly a game, but Good Lord, it's so relaxing and downright beautiful. I can only be imagining all those underwater landscapes with the upgraded gfx! Mmmm... Yummy! And maybe your character will stop walking on board the yacht like a crippled penguin. The only thing that used to irritate me in the original game. BTW, I'm pretty sure it's coming out early in Februaury in Europe, February 5, according to nintendo.co.uk, so we won't have to wait. Also had an eye for Shiren, but never heard about the difficulty... Well, gonna give it a spin anyway. For a lighter entertainment- Monkey Ball and the Sega racer. Not a fabulous month, but not that bad, IMO.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
Review for Endless Ocean 2:
http://wii.nintendolife.com/reviews/2010/0...of_the_deep_wii

Seems to be more of a game than before.

Hm, now I'm interested. The first one never even caught my interest to download because it just wasn't in my ballpark. Now that this has more gameplay elements as well as the free roam exploration, it seems cool. The online co-op could be very cool too.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Meh, this month is gonna be horrible for nintendo, there is no games in that list that are even worth a look at.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-