ROM Hack HG/SS Translation Tutorial w/Thenewpoketext.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 24,142
  • Replies 77
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User

OP
Epuls56's thenewpoketext HG/SS Translation Tutorial

Ok before you do anything take note of this. WE DO NOT NEED EVERYBODY TO TRY AND MAKE THEIR OWN TRANSLATION. I am posting this so people can work together to translate this awesome game, because all of these "One man team" translations are going to take too long for them to really be useful anyway, might as well wait for the localized game. (I'm not saying that I'm not thankful for the people working hard on their translations though.) I'm just providing the information to you all so you can do it yourselves. Plus if your new to thenewpoketext and editing, you probably wont even come near to being able to translate it yourself.

I'll add pictures within the next few days.

1. Alright, first off lets download it. ( http://pokeguide.filb.de/dl/thenewpoketext.zip )

2. Extract it with whatever you have, WinRar, 7zip etc.

3. Ok once you've extracted it, read the "readme". Notice it says you need "a NEW version of ndstool in your $path". This is where you download dsbuff, and with it is ndstool. ( http://wb3000.nintendo-scene.com/dsbuff_v1Final.zip )

4. Extract the dsbuff_v1Final.zip into a new folder, and find the ndstool.exe.

5. Copy and paste this into your thenewpoketext folder.

6. Now you have made it so thenewpoketext can build and unbuild roms.

7. Now's the fun part. Put your HG/SS rom into the thenewpoketext folder. Note, to make it easier on yourself you are going to rename it to something very short such as pkmss.nds or pkmhg.nds, trust me long names will become a pain.

8. Run thenewpoketext.exe, and in the command type in your rom name (not the full path or directory, for example my rom's name is pkmss.nds so I would type "pkmss.nds" without the quotations and hit enter.) When it does this, it will create a folder called tmp_[romnamehere] and extract the rom, wait til it finishes. DON'T CLOSE THE CMD. JUST DON'T. LEAVE IT OPEN.

9. Now, you are going to want to export all the game's Japanese text into a .xml file. However, this is different from D/P/P. The msg.narc in the msgdata folder isn't there. You have to put it there yourself; go into the tmp_[rom name here]/root/a/0/2 folder. Copy the 7.file.

10. Go back to tmp_[rom name here]/root and click on the msgdata folder.

11. Once there, paste the 7.file. Rename it to msg.narc

12. Ok, good job you've made it this far. Remember how I told you NOT to close that CMD window? Well this is why, you are now going to extract the text from the game into a .xml file. Type in "getall hgssdialogue.xml" without the quotations in that cmd and press enter. If you followed all the steps correctly, hgssdialogue.xml should show up in your folder, full of confusing Japanese text
smile.gif

.XML EDITING NOTES, READ THIS IF YOU PLAN ON TRANSLATING.

• ONLY edit the Japanese text, nothing else unless you know what you're doing.
• Every category you edit text in, you need to change the false to true in this line
• Working alone will make your effort useless because there are already people alone, and pretty decently ahead.
• Online translators will only help so much, and are very veeery inaccurate when it comes to Japanese>English.

Thank you LoadingNOW for creating thenewpoketext and allowing us all to use it
smile.gif

I'll be adding how to compile and patch your rom with the edited xml document soon, for now however this should do.

amgupt01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I was hoping there would be a way to batch convert everything from the .xml from japanese to english... even if it is just a crappy online translation, it would be better than no translation whatsoever...

jaimeld

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Epuls56 said:
Epuls56's thenewpoketext HG/SS Translation Tutorial

Ok before you do anything take note of this. WE DO NOT NEED EVERYBODY TO TRY AND MAKE THEIR OWN TRANSLATION. I am posting this so people can work together to translate this awesome game, because all of these "One man team" translations are going to take too long for them to really be useful anyway, might as well wait for the localized game. (I'm not saying that I'm not thankful for the people working hard on their translations though.) I'm just providing the information to you all so you can do it yourselves. Plus if your new to thenewpoketext and editing, you probably wont even come near to being able to translate it yourself.

I'll add pictures within the next few days.

1. Alright, first off lets download it. ( http://pokeguide.filb.de/dl/thenewpoketext.zip )

2. Extract it with whatever you have, WinRar, 7zip etc.

3. Ok once you've extracted it, read the "readme". Notice it says you need "a NEW version of ndstool in your $path". This is where you download dsbuff, and with it is ndstool. ( http://wb3000.nintendo-scene.com/dsbuff_v1Final.zip )

4. Extract the dsbuff_v1Final.zip into a new folder, and find the ndstool.exe.

5. Copy and paste this into your thenewpoketext folder.

6. Now you have made it so thenewpoketext can build and unbuild roms.

7. Now's the fun part. Put your HG/SS rom into the thenewpoketext folder. Note, to make it easier on yourself you are going to rename it to something very short such as pkmss.nds or pkmhg.nds, trust me long names will become a pain.

8. Run thenewpoketext.exe, and in the command type in your rom name (not the full path or directory, for example my rom's name is pkmss.nds so I would type "pkmss.nds" without the quotations and hit enter.) When it does this, it will create a folder called tmp_[romnamehere] and extract the rom, wait til it finishes. DON'T CLOSE THE CMD. JUST DON'T. LEAVE IT OPEN.

9. Now, you are going to want to export all the game's Japanese text into a .xml file. However, this is different from D/P/P. The msg.narc in the msgdata folder isn't there. You have to put it there yourself; go into the tmp_[rom name here]/root/0/2 folder. Copy the 7.file.

10. Go back to tmp_[rom name here]/root and click on the msgdata folder.

11. Once there, paste the 7.file. Rename it to msg.narc

12. Ok, good job you've made it this far. Remember how I told you NOT to close that CMD window? Well this is why, you are now going to extract the text from the game into a .xml file. Type in "getall hgssdialogue.xml" without the quotations in that cmd and press enter. If you followed all the steps correctly, hgssdialogue.xml should show up in your folder, full of confusing Japanese text
smile.gif

.XML EDITING NOTES, READ THIS IF YOU PLAN ON TRANSLATING.

• ONLY edit the Japanese text, nothing else unless you know what you're doing.
• Every category you edit text in, you need to change the false to true in this line
• Working alone will make your effort useless because there are already people alone, and pretty decently ahead.
• Online translators will only help so much, and are very veeery inaccurate when it comes to Japanese>English.

Thank you LoadingNOW for creating thenewpoketext and allowing us all to use it
smile.gif

I'll be adding how to compile and patch your rom with the edited xml document soon, for now however this should do.

Very helpfull'''¡
Thanks AlOt
yaypsp.gif

D

Deleted User

OP
amgupt01 said:
Yeah, I was hoping there would be a way to batch convert everything from the .xml from japanese to english... even if it is just a crappy online translation, it would be better than no translation whatsoever...

I guess u could download a free program to convert it all, but yeah it could really mess things up lol.

Darksage098

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a good way to try to help people make a group so that they can translate it in a group with faster speed. Hopefully this can start a group that will do just that.
yaynds.gif

D

Deleted User

OP
That was the goal lol, I'll experiment with translators later, and tomorrow I'll add pics and how to create patches etc.

Prawn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Sorry, I'm a noob..

Which one is ndstool.exe?

I'm doing number 8, all it gives me is an empty folder after hittin' enter. Is that suppose to happen or what?

The CMD auto-close by itself after hittin' enter. Why?

Hazard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Prawn said:
Sorry, I'm a noob..

I'm doing number 8, all it gives me is an empty folder after hittin' enter. Is that suppose to happen or what?

That's because you don't have nstool in the folder. Here the download link for ndstool: http://darkfader.net/ds/files/ndstool.exe
The main poster gave us the wrong download link or didn't check before we do for ndstool in the zip.

Prawn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hazard7 said:
Prawn said:
Sorry, I'm a noob..

That's because you don't have nstool in the folder. Here the download link for ndstool: http://darkfader.net/ds/files/ndstool.exe
The main poster gave us the wrong download link or didn't check before we do for ndstool in the zip.

Thank you for your help.

D

Deleted User

OP
Prawn said:
Hazard7 said:
Prawn said:
Sorry, I'm a noob..

Thank you for your help.

lol...the only reason it wasn't working at first is because you skipped step 3.

I'm going to school and when I get back I'll upload the pictures

Prawn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Epuls56 said:
Prawn said:
Hazard7 said:
Prawn said:
Sorry, I'm a noob..

Thank you for your help.

lol...the only reason it wasn't working at first is because you skipped step 3.

I'm going to school and when I get back I'll upload the pictures

Fyi, I didn't skip any skip..

Okay, thanks.

satan6676

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because I'm too much of a dumb idiot and really don't want to wait could someone explain how to make the patch after they've changed what they wanted.
hate2.gif

calvin1019

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry i have problems in root/0/2 there is no 0 map in the ‘root’ folder
root/a/0/2 right
and if i type getall hgssdialogue.xml and press enter nothings happening
can you make a video and upload to youtube

KuRensan

aka Pearbook
Trophies
Website
intheseaofclouds.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Tip:
http://translate.google.com/

Can be help full

Just open the xml with Internet explore and Notepad (In note pad you wil see Squares)
copie from internet XML to translate machine and paste it in the Notepad
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still problems with xml Inserting
Need help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat