OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Source

QUOTE said:
Longtime Metroid director Yoshio Sakamoto acknowledged that the long-rumored Metroid Dread is real and may some day be released.

During a Metroid interview yesterday with series director Yoshio Sakamoto and Team Ninja producer Yousuke Hayashi, we slipped in a question that was not about the newly announced Metroid: Other M.

Well, we thought it might be related.

For a few years, there have been rumors that Nintendo was working on a new side-scrolling Metroid game called Metroid Dread. There was even an easter egg reference to entities known as "Metroid Dreads" tucked into Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.

So, we wondered, could the long-incubating Metroid: Other M, which we learned was conceived in 2006, be the Dread project?

"He's very familiar with that [game,]" Sakamoto's translator said after posing our question to him. "No, this is different."

We pressed for details on what Dread is. Sakamoto's response: "The day may come when Dread hits the stores, but this one is something that's completely different. This is other M."

Maybe its the secret Retro Studios game. Perhaps they're doing it for the DS...or even the DS successor. Would love to see a new 2D Metroid but then I want everything.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Awesome news.

I hope it gets released
biggrin.gif

Loved Fusion and Zero Mission on my GBA.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
On DS please. I really don't think Retro is working on this. Regie and Iwata have said before they want to see what Retro can do without metroid. I'm pretty sure this game is still in the planning stage. It's been too long for this game to be in development. But then again this is Nintendo here. Who can accurately predict them? No one.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dinofan01 said:
I'm pretty sure this game is still in the planning stage. It's been too long for this game to be in development. But then again this is Nintendo here. Who can accurately predict them? No one.
Maybe it was stopped during development, who can say why. At this point I really don't think it was a Wii game as it was started before Prime 3 was released and also why go on to do Other M if they is already another Metroid Wii game in development? Unless its WiiWare, but again why take so much time on what is a downloadable and cheap to buy game?

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Holy fucking yes.
I've been waiting SOOO long for this, and at least we now have something thats MORE than a rumor. Or Easter egg.

Not only is there gonna be a new innovative metroid game, but also an awesome classic 2d metroid. yay.
Heres hoping there are more metroids in this than in fusion though.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hurrah, but I get the impression from 'it may one day hit stores' that it's either on the backburner, or development never started. Still, why can't someone just go ask Retro Studios what they're up to? Surely it's not that hard...

EDIT: Here's an excerpt from an interview in 2007:
QUOTE said:
MTV: What’s the story behind the apparent reference in “Metroid Prime 3? to “Metroid Dread,” the rumored but never-confirmed 2D game some fans hope is being made at Nintendo?
Pacini: “It’s not what you think it means… it was something that was overlooked and wasn’t in any way indicating anything about the handheld game. We know no information about the handheld games.
MTV: Are you suggesting that you got in trouble or something?
Pacini: Not at all. We actually had a fictional element of something else in the game that by a large coincidence could be read that we were giving a hint about “Metroid Dread” which was not the case. It’s a complete and utter coincidence.
MTV: OK.
Pacini: That’s all I can say on it.
MTV: That only makes me more confused. [laughing] I’ll see if I can parse what you just said to me.

Bryan Walker, Producer, Retro Studios: I think the bottom line there was [that there was] no innuendo in the reference that you’re mentioning.
Me: But you guys expected that some people would have a reaction to it. That it would be the stuff of news stories, yes?
Pacini: We didn’t think anything of it.
Walker: Purely innocuous, really.
MTV: Really? Honestly?
Walker: We’re not that clever. No conspiracy.
MTV: [pause, laughing] You’re not pulling my leg here. Definitely innocuous?
Walker: Yup.

Seems Retro Studios were never behind it, musta been a different team at Nintendo if anyone. If Team Ninja are familiar with it, I'd assume Nintendo are thinking of getting them to finish it/start it if Other M is successful.

Also, as confirmation Retro Studios are working on something, and that it's not Metroid, here is what Reggie had to say a couple of days ago:
QUOTE“You know, the Retro folks are hard at work. We and they wanted to do something different than Metroid, to show their chops in a different area. More to come on that. We don’t have anything to reveal about Retro at this E3 but they are hard at work.”

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trolly said:
Still, why can't someone just go ask Retro Studios what they're up to? Surely it's not that hard...
Retro Studios will obviously have a contract that states that they are not allowed to say what games they are doing unless Nintendo gives the ok. You know what Nintendo are like with their secrecy, even Monster Games weren't allowed to say anything about Excitebots until months before it was released.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey, do you any of you guys think he may be lying about the development? Maybe Nintendo doesn't want a 2D metroid but he does so hes just saying that so Nintendo will say "great. now the fans think its real. now we have to make it." Just an idea.

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
welll... look what happened with Gold and Sliver. Now its (remakes) a reality.

same thing here- except, they were seriously hinting at it for years now. "Dread" will be harder to make with just one source.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao now I can live the life of Juan...