Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think its possible to port computer games on the DS. Im not talking about big games like Runescape and Maplestory. I mean those little flash games. Like flash games from Miniclip.com. I want to port games like Age Of WAr (http://www.maxgames.com/play/age-of-war.html). I also want to port the game Bubble Trouble on the DS. Is this possible? Is there a program that lets you port the games. If anyone knows how to port those flash games on DS can you do it for me or tell me how?

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If the games are in Flash, then it's not in a low level language. In addition, even if it was, you'd need to get the source code from whoever programmed it.

Before worrying about the level of the source code, just get the source code. Even stuff in high-level languages can be ported to a low-level system like C, it's just harder.

There is no program that translates a game from one programming language to another (in terms of relevancy to this situation). You're going to have to go through every line of code and change it to meet the requirements of the new language.

For example, in Java I'd write System.out.println(myStats.toString()), but in C, I'd have to do lots of work to turn myStats from a contained Object to a set of primitive values, and have an operation that will print them all out to the output. Keep in mind that this is just a basic example, it gets a lot more complicated when you involve pointers and memory management, among other things.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow dam I wanted to put Bubble Trouble on DS. And I got the source code. Can anyone do this for me if they know how to do this in 5-10min.

Dizzy Doom

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Porting an aplication (in this case a game) it's not an easy thing to do, even with the source code, simple aplications could a lot of time to port, because you HAVE to rewrite the sourcecode to work on another platform.
You would need a lot of time for translating Flash sources to C sources, because Flash is a high-level language (closer to the programmer, thus easier), and C is a low level language (closer to the hardware, thus less user-friendly).
Another thing to have in mind is that Flash code is interpreted by another aplication while C code is interpreted directly by the processor (through the OS).

It's not something you can do in 5-10 minutes unless it's a VERY simple program ("hello world", for example).

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You'd also need all the images, sound, and other source libraries being used for the game. If you are able to compile the source code and run it (google it if you need to), then maybe someone can help, and keep in mind that people usually get paid $30/hour+ for doing things like this.

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like this topic. ALOT. I've had my eyes on porting I have no Tomatoes, an open source game in C, that utilizes openGL. I hope more programmers can chime in on what it's like to port a game from C or something not built on the DS, to the DS's platform.

I personally do not code but I'm hoping that this could give me an opportunity to learn or at least be proud of writing something.

Dizzy Doom

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If it's on openGL you won't have too much problem, as I believe OpenGL works in a similar way DevkitPro video API does, IF:
The original system requirements are below the DS's (DS has 4MB RAM and 2 cores of 67 and 33 MHZ, but it has the advantage: an aplication takes over the DS when started, so every resource is yours)
You know how the program works by looking at the source. What functions it uses and such.
You know how openGL works or at least how the functions of openGL the program uses work.
You know the tarjget's system, by that I mean equivalent functions to what the program uses on the original platform.
And, of course, you need to be patient.

I think a porting project it's too much as your fist project since you have to know the original platform and the target's. Anyway, understanding other people's sources is a bit tricky, because everyone has their style, but it's a good ability to have.
C is also a difficult language to start with, but once understand it you'll discover that every language works in a similar way.

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dizzy Doom said:
If it's on openGL you won't have too much problem, as I believe OpenGL works in a similar way DevkitPro video API does, IF:
The original system requirements are below the DS's (DS has 4MB RAM and 2 cores of 67 and 33 MHZ, but it has the advantage: an aplication takes over the DS when started, so every resource is yours)
You know how the program works by looking at the source. What functions it uses and such.
You know how openGL works or at least how the functions of openGL the program uses work.
You know the tarjget's system, by that I mean equivalent functions to what the program uses on the original platform.
And, of course, you need to be patient.

I think a porting project it's too much as your fist project since you have to know the original platform and the target's. Anyway, understanding other people's sources is a bit tricky, because everyone has their style, but it's a good ability to have.
C is also a difficult language to start with, but once understand it you'll discover that every language works in a similar way.

Thank you for your words.
bow.gif
It turns out the program I was looking at utilizes mabye 64MB of ram and a Pentium 2 processor. Although the readme says even less is needed as it will skip frames on slower computers. Is this a lost cause?

Thanks for the step by step listing of things to understand before I rewrite the code. I am diligent on learning C for reasons like you mentioned, along with my favourite coder's reasons.
QUOTEPeople will tell you that C is old and hard to program, but that is sort of the point. Your goal shouldn't be to make something quick but rather to learn the basics. C is a small but incredibly powerful language that you will never grow out of, so learn it well rather then constantly try to find a different language that is easier.

Anyway I'm going to try and be diligent on this. I have a new netbook on it's way that I'd like to incorporate a good chunk of learning this stuff into.

As always, more advice/difficulties/words of wisdom from DS programmers on the general topic is welcome
lecture.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: