Hacking GBA game capability with DSi.

Mnemosyne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the situation: I'm deciding to whether or not to buy a DSi in the near future, so I've been looking around today. I'm a fan of the old GB/GBA games, so I'm wondering what the compatibility situation is like with the Acekard 2. I've read a couple of reviews and such, and none explicitly state the how (and if) I would load and play these games.

Being a newb in this generation of handheld gaming, it'd be appreciated if any responses were kept to simple, layman's terms. Thanks in advance.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
LivingToDie said:
tj_cool said:
DSi -> no slot2 -> no slot2 gba expansion -> how play gba games with flashcart? -> homebrew/possible homebrewchannel
If you want guaranteed GBA compatibility the DSi is not for you.

If you are a homebrew developer then please try, otherwise pray and wait.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if the DSi can be made to play GBA games, you will be limited to only what Ninty decides to release as DSiWare......or they'll start making GBA ports to the DSi as a DSi cart. Either way you'd be forced to pay for those old GBA games all over again.

But if you got a DSlite, you would only need to buy a flashcart for slot1 and slot2 (once) and then you can download/dump all the DS/GBA games you can stand and play them all for free without any limitations or extra cost.

The choice is obvious.

Mnemosyne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps it was wishful thinking, but I was hoping some form of GBA emulation on the DSi would be possible. If only the Acekard could read .gba as well...I'll probably still end up getting the DSi anyway.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

killajackson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
how_do_i_do_that said:
The noob trap strikes again, people confusing integrated support with emulation.

Well is there a GBA emulator for DS/DSi? I don't believe there is, but it would be cool.

KamuiX

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
There isn't because DS/DSL doesn't need it. It has slot2

Dsi needs it and maybe we will see somrthing in future. As i said in other post. DSi/DS/DSL has almost the same hardware, 2 arm processors. So maybe Dsi supports by nature gba games (through some kind of loader). Maybe i'm not sure at all

thephich

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
KamuiX said:
There isn't because DS/DSL doesn't need it. It has slot2

Dsi needs it and maybe we will see somrthing in future. As i said in other post. DSi/DS/DSL has almost the same hardware, 2 arm processors. So maybe Dsi supports by nature gba games (through some kind of loader). Maybe i'm not sure at all
(not trying to be a a** here) but althought it still has only the 2 arm processors (ARM 7 & 9) it has 12 MB of RAM 4x as much as the lite, meaning no need for the RAM expantion. just sayin, dont mean to be that douche who tries to prove ppl wrong, just wanted to point out
blink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1