Legend of Starfi localization coming June 8

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Starfi games have been around since the Gameboy Advance (even early in development for the GBC). They are a bit similar to the Kirby games and have a cult following. Unfortunately, they were never released outside of Japan. BUT, the big news now is that Nintendo of America released a press report today confirming that a localization of what I assume is (one of) the DS game is in the works. I believe there were 2 DS games released. The other 3 were GBA games.

In The Legendary Starfy™ game, which launches June 8, players dive into a spectacular undersea adventure with Starfy, the legendary hero of Pufftop. Players swoop into enemies like a shooting star, glide over bottomless chasms and transform into powerful creatures to help a mysterious, bunny-eared visitor find his lost memory.

Also included in the press report was the US month date for Megaman Starforce 3- June. It was reported to be fall before, so I'm just reporting the change. Even if you didn't like the other two games, this one may be worth checking. It's said to be a VAST improvement over the previous games and even got like a 32/40 from Famitsu.

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=17588

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Awesome! I loved playing Stafy but I was always stuck because of it being in Japanese.

I'm so excited for this, hoping this WILL get released on DS.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took a crack at them too, but I had the same language barrier issues as you Wilddenim. I heavily look forward to this. Nice alternative to the Kirby games. And the character reminds me of Ristar on the Genesis!
wink.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean the GBA game Legend of Starfi 2? I'd think it would be the latest DS game, but we'll see.

EDIT: oh yes, you fixed that

By the way, I never tried the DS games. Are they as good as the GBA ones?

Deadmon

A Temper
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, it's about time Nintendo!
Also looking good:
Punch Out!! release date!
ExciteBots...the "sequel" to ExciteTruck I guess? hope pics come out soon!
And holy crap, look at all the titles Atlus is going to be releasing...

Pizzaroo

douchebag
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Stafi DS is one of the most fun platformers that the DS has, except its almost impossible to play in English after the first few stages.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to echo what seems to be the common sentiment, yeah, I'm surprised it's taken them so long. The characters, gameplay and everything seem perfectly suited for American Nintendo audiences. Will be nice to finally know what my actual goals are when playing the game (assuming they're localizing the last DS game).

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
War said:
Um...? Starfy? Why, is Stafi too Japanese for us?
pff. i've always maintained that "starfy" is the best romanisation. glad to see nintendo agree with me ;D

now i won't have to see "stafy" everywhere i look. (which people would just pronounce "staffy" anyway, lets face it). someone get onto changing all the wikipedia articles!

(also: stafi? is sutafii too japanese for you?
tongue.gif
)

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Awesome
smile.gif
I assumed they thought a talking starfish was just a little too weird for the western market but looks like they've changed their minds. Though I'm sure the translated dialogue won't be nearly as much fun as guessing what they're saying. The intro to Starfy 4 was a riot
laugh.gif

The language barrier never stopped me playing the GBA ones. Even though you can't understand the plot or a word they're saying it's still possible to figure out what you're supposed to be doing.

As for DS vs GBA I've only played a little bit of Starfy 4, the gameplay's identical but there's a slight difference in the level structure. Each level works the same way; someone's lost something, you enter a level, got get it for them (it's always at the end), return to the start of the level (via a portal so you don't have to walk it), and repeat. There's still vehicles and the suchlike. I can't put my finger on it though but something in me prefers the GBA ones.

(edit: I couldn't care less how it's spelt
biggrin.gif
but seeing as you're going to be fussy I'll fix it)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That's one bad nightmare