ROM Hack YS DS translation project

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you guys ever get a hold of DarknessSavior? He's still working on his own translation of this game. Maybe you could work something out?

Cronorei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty familiar with the Ys series, so while I can't translate I could potentially help with testing or going over lore to see how things match up. I've played and beaten every Ys game but V, and most of them more than once. I haven't played much of the DS ports though, mostly because I started right off on Nightmare Mode and got distracted playing Felghana again not long after they came out.

As far as the translation's I've used go, I've played the MSX, NES and Eternal versions of Ys 1 and 2 the Eternal translation being Deuce's which i'm sure most fans are familiar with.

So if you have a use for me, let me know. If not, that's fine too.

Though I do have one question, are you planning to translate the Goddess' names as Feena and Reah/Leah or Feena and Lair? Lair seems to be Deuce's quirk, but I'm not sure how many others agree with his translation of her name compared to other translations and romanizations being Reah/Leah more often than anything else. Also will you be calling the Cleria silver gear Cleria or just Silver? Either works, but I was just wondering if you decided on that. I'm checking the thread out now for any answers to these two questions

Cronorei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cleria was the special type of silver that could damage Dark Fact and the Orb the goddess' created and Darm uses. Though for some reason I'm drawing a blank on any more details about it

Actually now that I think about it, I believe Cleria was the name used for Silver in the ancient times on Esteria. So I'm not even sure if it's just any Silver or a special kind of silver that should be called Cleria

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well take a small look at script_comn.bin spreadsheet. That spread sheet is the database including the names and items. I've got feedbacks from Ys forums with names and items, so what we have right now is what is in use *currently*. It might/may change after the first beta. I'm thinking of also distributing some beta patches to who are really familiar with the Ys series, so it actually feels like a Ys.

lookee
biggrin.gif
this is fun
I think i'm getting used to the palette thing, but I just can't get it when the palette is on a separate file...

sprite4.png

sprite3.png
sprite1.png

sprite2.png

what's that black line?
frown.gif

I'll try to get more graphics ripped.
biggrin.gif
(srry I'm bored)

yay all items ripped
biggrin.gif

sword1.png
sword2.png
sword3.png
sword4.png
sword5.png
sword6.png

shield1.png
shield2.png
shield3.png
shield4.png
shield5.png
shield6.png

key6.png
key5.png
key4.png
key3.png
key2.png
key1.png

armor1.png
armor2.png
armor3.png
armor4.png
armor5.png
armor6.png

ring1.png
ring2.png
ring3.png
ring4.png
ring5.png
saphring.png

ysbook1.png
ysbook2.png
ysbook3.png
ysbook4.png
ysbook5.png
ysbook6.png

wing.png
statue.png
rod.png
rodaseed.png
ruby.png
sapneck.png

potion.png
pedestal.png
paper.png
necklace.png
mirror.png
bell.png

mask.png
herb.png
harmonica.png
hammer.png
glass.png
crystal.png

amy.png

map.png

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
new1.png

I found out it was just TM's fault o.O
I had that portion selected, and then changed my palette so that part was screwed up XP

well here are more:
map.png

sword1-1.png
sword2-1.png

sword3-1.png
sword4-1.png

sword5-1.png
sword6-1.png

After playing the game for few minutes, I've found the ADOL HP that is on the upper right corner of the gameplay screen to have a weird font; (awkward capital A, oversized ADOL and a very thin HP)
so here is a quick change

BEFORE/AFTER
before.png
after.png

The final graphic file with japanese characters... what are the last 2 texts?
9d0df103.png

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the text on the top is text that's compressed in the arm9.bin
noitora's doing that...
and for the left handed/right handed
I'll call it LEFT/RIGHT due to space... and a font that seems all clumped up doesn't look that good.

I can't get the G to look right on RIGHT
frown.gif

I'll show you what I've got so far
2-2.png
3-1.png

found another set of the above in option.chr, and won't align. It's gonna be tough to edit... I'll leave it until the end of the translation...

more progression:
I've found the place names that appear on the bottom screen. They seem to be in the inf files, but there are over 100 inf files
frown.gif

I still haven't found the text on the far bottom, but I'll finish the place names first... I'm done with 30 of them XP

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
War said:
Nice job, guys! Looks like you guys are really far into this... hoping for a release soon!
I hope we release it soon, too XP
Not much updates on the translation right now.. I think momo is a bit busy???
I'm currently using this time to experiment with stuff, and as you can see the post above the one with all the screens I uploaded, I've been working on graphics, and also have been searching for text that we didn't notice, such as the text on the screen, am I'm still looking for the bottom-most text...
Well for right now, we are working on a steady pace, and progress is being made in a nice speed
biggrin.gif

Noitora

::
OP
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
psycoblaster said:
War said:
Nice job, guys! Looks like you guys are really far into this... hoping for a release soon!
I'm currently using this time to experiment with stuff, and as you can see the post above the one with all the screens I uploaded, I've been working on graphics, and also have been searching for text that we didn't notice, such as the text on the screen, am I'm still looking for the bottom-most text...
Well for right now, we are working on a steady pace, and progress is being made in a nice speed
biggrin.gif
Momo said she had a job to do this week, or was it the week before?...I'll ask her if I see her online at MSN.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Noitora said:
psycoblaster said:
War said:
biggrin.gif
Momo said she had a job to do this week, or was it the week before?...I'll ask her if I see her online at MSN.
the actual Japanese -> english slowed down... One person makes a big difference
tongue.gif

at least I was glad when harun also joined our team
biggrin.gif

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
psycoblaster said:
I'm still looking for the bottom-most text...
It's LZ77-compressed in arm9.bin. Parts of ???????????? can be found starting at 0x687A4, but I haven't searched to see where the compression starts.

Noitora

::
OP
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
DarthNemesis said:
psycoblaster said:
I'm still looking for the bottom-most text...
It's LZ77-compressed in arm9.bin. Parts of ???????????? can be found starting at 0x687A4, but I haven't searched to see where the compression starts.
I thought the whole arm9 was compressed with LZ77, I uncompressed, edited some text and when I put it back either uncompressed or compressed in the rom it only worked in the emulator.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Both of mine are i5's lol
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    DNDBD (DND×DBD) IS A REAL THING
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon