Hacking Wii U Homebrew Preparation

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Opens up perfectly fine, but it redirects to my router's ip and says the webpage is blocked (I entered in google.com) Tried multiple websites and all say the same thing

Weird, I have no idea why it's doing that. My only guess is you accidentally changed a setting in your router or something. AFAIK the web browser isn't redirected through Nintendo so if only those few sites mentioned are blocked then it should work fine :/

MiB_Fatality

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What i did, was go under parental controls, click the wii u, then add the sites to the block list. This is probably the wrong way of doing it. Ill probably have to search around for the right method

MonsterMuffin

Trophies
XP
Country
If your router supports DNS overrides/Fowarding then it's extremely easy to block the update domains.

WM5vT6P.jpg

Migalis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My wii u updatet over night. Just bought Mario Kart 8 DLC, I hope it still works on 5.4.0.. And hope we will find out today.

Oak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shutdown down my Wii U a couple seconds before the download finished! Still on 5.3.2U
My Gamepad had not been paired for a couple of days, so I was not getting the update. As soon as I paired it, the downloaded started up.
Set up Mac Filtering to block WiiU and then deleted all the Connection on the WiiU. Now, the download is paused. Anyway to delete the download without doing a system format?

Jay Clay

Trophies
XP
Country
Shutdown down my Wii U a couple seconds before the download finished! Still on 5.3.2U
My Gamepad had not been paired for a couple of days, so I was not getting the update. As soon as I paired it, the downloaded started up.
Set up Mac Filtering to block WiiU and then deleted all the Connection on the WiiU. Now, the download is paused. Anyway to delete the download without doing a system format?
haha it seems like you are almost fucked up, I don't think you can delete it, more likely you would not be able to connect your wii U to internet, in this case you will be safe by removing your internet connection settings.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a Wii-U, but I decided I should get one while it's still easy to find a hackable one. I'd like to know: Can I just run a web server on an Android device and serve a static page and use the exploit? I'm not interested in connecting to the real Internet for any purpose whatsoever including eshop.

I tried running a web server on an Android device. A Wii and a 3DS both told me the connection test failed (not a surprise since it is serving a static page and can't connect to Nintendo or access a DNS server). However, when the connection test failed on the 3DS, it still let me use the failed connection so I could get to the static page in my web browser. On the other hand, when the connection test failed on the Wii, it would not let me use the failed connection. If you create a failed connection on a Wii-U, does it let you or not let you use it?

Alexis77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Unfortunately i am on 5.4.0. I am really unlucky cause i had made mac filtering for wii u in my rooter but didn't work. My rooter was being needed firmware update in order to use this option. I have set it after the disaster....i hope to try something for us unlucky people!!!
Open DSN didn't work because of my access point or dynamic ip.....

pica200

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Today I picked up on clearance Wii U basic model with 60% off original retail price. As there were only a few units I grab one before it was gone. I was in hope that will be a mod to allow things such as emulator to be played on the gamepad, now or in the near future, didn't have time to research had to buy right away sold out in a few hours.
Has been opened by the shop, but pretty sure hasn't been used, looks like they were checking contents at some stage and taping the boxes inside together. There is a sticker on the unit with late 2012 on it, so I am guessing it is original firmware. I don't want to turn it on, just in case I be better on selling it instead.

Questions I have.

1. Is the original this firmware way to old to be useful for anything?
2. Is there any way to update to older 5.3.2 avoiding the new 5.4.0?
3. Am I get ahead of myself and no point waiting, should just update and sell it?
4. If there is something out in the next few months, would oldest firmware be ok still?

I could understand some questions might not be able to be answered, just looking for some ideas if it is a keeper or not.

keven3477

Fresh Prince of Lemonade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Questions I have.

1. Is the original this firmware way to old to be useful for anything?
2. Is there any way to update to older 5.3.2 avoiding the new 5.4.0?
3. Am I get ahead of myself and no point waiting, should just update and sell it?
4. If there is something out in the next few months, would oldest firmware be ok still?

I could understand some questions might not be able to be answered, just looking for some ideas if it is a keeper or not.

1. it depends on the firmware, I think you need to be at 3.0-5.3.2 for the upcoming exploit but keep it in that firmware until a more informed Pearson posts.

2.You can update via disc update of splatoon or Mario party 10. (I would recommend splatoon for best choice because its really a fun online game but it requires software update for online, so you wont play much out of it other than its fun but short campaing)

3. this is possibly a right time to start buying a wiiu since usermode code acces just literally came out yesterday, and kernel mode wich can load homebrew, emunand and emulators (not wiiu backups) is coming out soon.

4. same as 1.

pica200

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
1. it depends on the firmware, I think you need to be at 3.0-5.3.2 for the upcoming exploit but keep it in that firmware until a more informed Pearson posts.

2.You can update via disc update of splatoon or Mario party 10. (I would recommend splatoon for best choice because its really a fun online game but it requires software update for online, so you wont play much out of it other than its fun but short campaing)

3. this is possibly a right time to start buying a wiiu since usermode code acces just literally came out yesterday, and kernel mode wich can load homebrew, emunand and emulators (not wiiu backups) is coming out soon.

4. same as 1.

Thanks very much for the quick reply. I just re-checked the inner box, sticker has November 2012 on it, none of the power cords have not been used, so almost certain without turning it on, it will be on day one firmware, whatever that was back then, 1.xx something to another.

I don't have either of those games, and they are half the price of what I paid for the unit, both don't appeal to me, will not be purchasing them just for the update. I do remember the original firmware being painfully slow to boot and start game, menu return, would like to get that one.
However I do have 18 retail Wii U games range from release games like Zombie U to Hyrule Warriors being the newest if that is any good? I do have some older games, and some more recent games like Zelda Windwaker, Mario 3D Land, and Donkey Kong Country which I could possibly update from?
If you recommend I can keep it at the original firmware. Like said brought the unit in hope of homebrew. I have a another unit I enjoy for games, really liking Donkey Kong country at the moment, graphics are great and the game is excellent.

Sound really positive about picking up the unit as you have said, starting to move, sound like I should keep it, hopefully this be a good machine for homebrew even being the 8GB model :)

Being new can you point me to thread to keep and eye on, usermode stuff and as such that I don't have any awareness yet?

One last thing, can I use this unit in the meantime to install old style Wii soft mod, if so, one of the discs you could recommend for faster UI from a newer firmware, or just leave on oldest and wait to be safe? kind of like 3DS was better off on old 4.5 firmware just in case I go to new?

Last edited by pica200,

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However I do have 18 retail Wii U games range from release games like Zombie U to Hyrule Warriors being the newest if that is any good? I do have some older games, and some more recent games like Zelda Windwaker, Mario 3D Land, and Donkey Kong Country which I could possibly update from?
If you recommend I can keep it at the original firmware. Like said brought the unit in hope of homebrew. I have a another unit I enjoy for games, really liking Donkey Kong country at the moment, graphics are great and the game is excellent.
One last thing, can I use this unit in the meantime to install old style Wii soft mod, if so, one of the discs you could recommend for faster UI from a newer firmware, or just leave on oldest and wait to be safe? kind of like 3DS was better off on old 4.5 firmware just in case I go to new?
Hmm, one of your only other options to get to one of the latest versions is Kirby and the Rainbow Curse which is 5.3.0, but is not guaranteed to work with the 5.3.2 ROP chain since OSv11 was updated in 5.3.2, or you can try Hyrule Warriors if you got it close to release which'll bring you up to 4.1.0, which is a good version to be at until we get something working on the latest version. http://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiu-list-of-system-updates-on-disc.372041/
Also, yes, if you have a game that has a Wii/vWii exploit (like Smash or a Lego game), it should work on any and every version. Just be sure to read all stickies beforehand.

pica200

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hmm, one of your only other options to get to one of the latest versions is Kirby and the Rainbow Curse which is 5.3.0, but is not guaranteed to work with the 5.3.2 ROP chain since OSv11 was updated in 5.3.2, or you can try Hyrule Warriors if you got it close to release which'll bring you up to 4.1.0, which is a good version to be at until we get something working on the latest version. http://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiu-list-of-system-updates-on-disc.372041/
Also, yes, if you have a game that has a Wii/vWii exploit (like Smash or a Lego game), it should work on any and every version. Just be sure to read all stickies beforehand.

Safe to put in Hyrule Warriors for now to get decent system performance on 4.1.0 (I will not be connecting this to the internet if I can avoid it). And then I should be looking to get Splatoon or Mario Party 10 just for the 5.3.2 firmware update when ready yeah?

The Smash Bro and Lego games are just normal old Wii games needed for vWii right, and I can happily stay one 4.1.0 for the time being and still use those mods yeah?

btw. I have been reading the stickies but there is a huge heap of info to take in. Just need to be sure before I unbox this unit, it is beckoning me to open it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1