Hacking Update 5.2.0 is Out!

NWPlayer123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I've said before, if you're on 4.0.0-5.1.0, then you should stay there if you care about a guaranteed way to make homebrew (as the WebKit exploit works and AFAIK the kernel exploit has been tested up as far as 5.0.0). If you're anything above that, you can probably update considering the nature of the kernel exploit, and the fact that they're using such an old version of WebKit so we can find another bug to gain code execution with. HOWEVER, this is not a guarantee. You can either update, or not. It's up to you.

Reactions: VinsCool

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My own policy has always been that only devs should stay on old versions. Unless you're really paranoid and willing to lose online functionality, just update.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I've said before, if you're on 4.0.0-5.1.0, then you should stay there if you care about a guaranteed way to make homebrew (as the WebKit exploit works and AFAIK the kernel exploit has been tested up as far as 5.0.0). If you're anything above that, you can probably update considering the nature of the kernel exploit, and the fact that they're using such an old version of WebKit so we can find another bug to gain code execution with. HOWEVER, this is not a guarantee. You can either update, or not. It's up to you.

See, therein lies the issue, I'm on 5.1.2, which is pushing it, and Super Smash will likely have 5.2.0 on the disc... so either way, chances are we won't be able to play Smash without forced updates. There's no guarantee for 5.2.0 support, creating another potentially similar-to-PS3 scene with the whole 3.55 only firmware situation. That potentiality doesn't give me much comfort or hope.

My own policy has always been that only devs should stay on old versions. Unless you're really paranoid and willing to lose online functionality, just update.

Well, I suck at Mario Kart 8 online anyways lol. I'm just paranoid at there not being a way to port to 5.1.0+

Bkool999

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually my VWii starts up and then shuts down the console immediately. It normally shows the Warning Screen then it just powers down. Kinda PO'd. -_-

Well this is gonna be embarrassing.. Turns out I was wrong about my Wii mode bricking. After waiting over some time, the Wii menu suddenly decided to work again. Sorry for the confusion. :sleep:

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I updated to 5.2.0 cause there is a cool Beyoneta 2 demo on e-shop. Actually tbh I want to play online games like MK8 and of course the incoming SSB so really is it all worth it staying on 5.1.0 and below? Not really! I mean if your that serious about homebrew stuff then fair enough but if your looking for back up compatibility then the WiiKeyU will sort that out for you anyway! So I don't see what all the stress is about.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I really hope a WiiU hack to free vWii mode to be run on WiiU mode, so much more things like true 1080P wii games would be awesome!​

IIRC it upscales but not true 1080p like you'd get from Dolphin on PC. They look pretty good upscaled on the Wii U except those jaggie lines can be bothersome to some people. There's like a solution to fix that: Use the original aspect ratio of the games (some are 4x3 while others 16x9).

I've never got bugged by that and loved Brawl on the Wii U, would've been better with the GameCube controller (not the Mayflash) but there's going to be the PDP, Hori and the Wii U NGC Adapter (Nintendo of UK might be wrong about what they stated so wait for Nintendo of America) so it's not all lost.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC it upscales but not true 1080p like you'd get from Dolphin on PC. They look pretty good upscaled on the Wii U except those jaggie lines can be bothersome to some people. There's like a solution to fix that: Use the original aspect ratio of the games (some are 4x3 while others 16x9).

I've never got bugged by that and loved Brawl on the Wii U, would've been better with the GameCube controller (not the Mayflash) but there's going to be the PDP, Hori and the Wii U NGC Adapter (Nintendo of UK might be wrong about what they stated so wait for Nintendo of America) so it's not all lost.

I don't know why people always quote upscaled numbers for things. It's still a 480p signal, it's still not going to look very spectacular. Heck, I'd rather use a native 480p signal than scale it up to 1080 and have my TV rescale it again to god knows what resolutions (lots of mid-rangers are 768p for some stupid reason).

Reactions: the_randomizer

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I don't know why people always quote upscaled numbers for things. It's still a 480p signal, it's still not going to look very spectacular. Heck, I'd rather use a native 480p signal than scale it up to 1080 and have my TV rescale it again to god knows what resolutions (lots of mid-rangers are 768p for some stupid reason).
It's mainly people abusing terminology.

Upscaling is different to increasing the resolution. Upscaling only refers to taking a lower resolution image and scaling it to a bigger size (while internally still rendering at the same lower resolution). It should never be ised to describe cases where the native rendering resolution has been increased (like what Dolphin can do). Unfortunately, people misuse the terminology, and the mainstream gaming websites do it too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Anybody here have a Xbox series S and a series X, is the performance difference noticeable? I...