Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorchy

Wanderer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
....im not suggesting all walls on every game are removed lol, i'm just saying that there are certain things that are not possible with save modifications so personally i think actual cheats would be better than just letting people use powersaves....which in my opinion is pretty lackluster in terms of what it offers.....most of the codes are just "unlock everything" or "max money".....which imho kinda ruin game than silly cheats which you can have a mess about with and do stuff that are normally not possible

but as i said its all dependent on the user some people just want unlock everything codes, and thats upto them, but personally i love messing about with stupidly ridiculous codes that do stupid stuff......maybe that says more about me though :rofl2:

I understand you, that would be really great, i still remember having fun with moonjump and speed multiplier on phantom hourglass, i guess i'm not alone, but those would be really great as long as they're not working on multiplayer

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Will work on gateway emunand?
not really seeing the point of it running on gateway emunand, smealum indicated he will release sspwn for various firmwares between 4.5-8.1.....so it should be usable in unison with gateway......but again gateway already runs homebrew, this is just to load homebrew so its not exactly something gateway really *need*, but its likely that homebrew devs might switch from .3ds homebrew to whatever format ssspwn will be using

as for if it would actually *work* in emunand mode....i suppose its possible, but it would still only be running homebrew

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe Smealum is working on what could be the Homebrew Channel/Cydia on the 3DS :o

From, what it sounds like, it's going to be a method to launch homebrew from a menu of some sort (which I'm guessing loads from the SD card in the 3DS). He already has said a few things in regards to this, specifically:
  • It will supposedly work on all firmwares the 3DS has had thus far (1.0-8.1), but he is only releasing ports of it to 4.5-8.1 because reasons.
  • It will involve a menu, similar to HBC. The menu is not done yet (I'm not sure if he's started it yet or not) but I'm sure we can expect screens of this menu in the next few weeks.
  • All existing 3DS homebrew will have to be recompiled against a new version of his development library to be launched. I don't think this will be too problematic for the few emulator startups that have been done (ie that one SNES emulator who's name escapes me)
  • This is a userland exploit, so no kernel access, so no backups. Granted, smealum is not the only dev working on an exploit (I know for a fact there's at least two other teams working on bringing a kernel mode exploit vs smealum's homebrew-only solution). And with a userland exploits to elevate privileges can and most likely will be found to break smealums "soft and fuzzy shackles" he has in place. Plus there's also the possibility of people reverse engineering his solution and thus removing his personal restrictions.
But for just homebrew, this will do just fine, and I'll likely bring a lot of homebrew devs to the scene since it works on any 3DS version that has been released, and I know for a fact that I'll be doing some experimenting with homebrew since I'm fairly seasoned in GBA development/hacking so 3DS development would be a nice change for me.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
And with a userland exploits to elevate privileges can and most likely will be found to break smealums "soft and fuzzy shackles" he has in place.

that comment about "soft and fuzzy shackles" smealum was talking about was in relation to restrictions he was hoping to put into his old 4.x exploit/cfw with rednand etc....he ultimately decided not to release that as he feared it would be easily adapted to be used as a rom loader platform

Plus there's also the possibility of people reverse engineering his solution and thus removing his personal restrictions.

Again the new exploit has no artificial restrictions, it starts as a user mode exploit and ends as a usermode exploit....he hasnt added any restrictions to it manually over what the console already has set up for user mode

though that best clearing up so its not made out as if this is some sort of watered down exploit....it is what it is

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And with a userland exploits to elevate privileges can and most likely will be found to break smealums "soft and fuzzy shackles" he has in place.

that comment about "soft and fuzzy shackles" smealum was talking about was in relation to restrictions he was hoping to put into his old 4.x exploit/cfw with rednand etc....he ultimately decided not to release that as he feared it would be easily adapted to be used as a rom loader platform

Plus there's also the possibility of people reverse engineering his solution and thus removing his personal restrictions.

Again the new exploit has no artificial restrictions, it starts as a user mode exploit and ends as a usermode exploit....he hasnt added any restrictions to it manually over what the console already has set up for user mode

though that best clearing up so its not made out as if this is some sort of watered down exploit....it is what it is

Ah, I guess I was mistaken then. Either way he himself refuses to support ROM loading but a userland exploit will do wonderfully for homebrewstering purposes.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Ah, I guess I was mistaken then. Either way he himself refuses to support ROM loading but a userland exploit will do wonderfully for homebrewstering purposes.
nah its understandable the 2 different exploits have been heavily mixed up with people assuming its one and the same, its was only the 4.x kernel exploit (pretty much the same as gateways set up) that he didn't release, but imho if people are truly wanting homebrew only, surely a homebrew friendly exploit that runs on pretty much all firmwares is better.

so in some ways not releasing the 4.x exploit probably motivated him to find a less piratey friendly alternative, he is happy to release it and even people who updated can use it...its a win-win (sort of loose for people wanting free rom loader) situation

Inuuto

Enigmatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm interested in this exploit. The 3DS could use a few homebrew apps.

A messenger system? A closed community for people with the exploit.
A better web browser? This one is a must. Let us change the user agent please!
An email client? Gives you a notification on the 3DS?
Emulators, of course. I'm pretty sure the 3DS could handle N64, not great but good enough, won't be happening soon though.

I've heard that Nintendo restricts the amount of RAM devs use to 64 MB. The other goes to running the 3DS itself. It'd be cool to remove that restriction. Nintendo's busy with the Wii U. 2015 could be the year of the 3DS again.

Reactions: jagerstaffel

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just hoping that region-free comes with SSSpwn (he's mentioned it before), and if not, then someone will no doubt code a homebrew app to allow region free (I hope so)

gothicall

Blah blah blah!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
It's a godsend for many homebrew developers interested in the platform but not interested in the hassle, including myself. If you're not interested in a strictly homebrew-oriented exploit, don't post.

As for SSSpwn, I'll believe it when I see it - it's been "coming soon" for quite a while now, I just want to get my hands on it and play around with it before I comment.
Yes, and 3DS is finally beginning a new homebrew era.

Scorchy

Wanderer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm interested in this exploit. The 3DS could use a few homebrew apps.

A messenger system? A closed community for people with the exploit.
A better web browser? This one is a must. Let us change the user agent please!
An email client? Gives you a notification on the 3DS?
Emulators, of course. I'm pretty sure the 3DS could handle N64, not great but good enough, won't be happening soon though.

I've heard that Nintendo restricts the amount of RAM devs use to 64 MB. The other goes to running the 3DS itself. It'd be cool to remove that restriction. Nintendo's busy with the Wii U. 2015 could be the year of the 3DS again.

It's a 3DS not an iPhone, those things exists on Wii Homebrew scene and are not popular and i don't think anyone really wants that. The thing that would be really cool is to bypass 3DS Mailbox block. It was a really cool app and Nintendo closed it..

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a 3DS not an iPhone, those things exists on Wii Homebrew scene and are not popular and i don't think anyone really wants that. The thing that would be really cool is to bypass 3DS Mailbox block. It was a really cool app and Nintendo closed it..

Generally where you have your wii at you have a computer. Your 3DS would be taken on the road with you, so those items that weren't popular on the wii might be more popular on the 3DS.

Reactions: Saxer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Psi likes to milk beavers lol