Homebrew [RELEASE] Wii-DOOM / Wii-HERETIC / Wii-HEXEN / Wii-STRIFE (ALL-IN-ONE) *PROPER*

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Allright, just tried the latest WiiHeretic build, first with default ost and then with ogg music files and it really is much better in the second case! Can't wait to play/hear WiiDoom and WiiHexen with ogg support!

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, upon taking a sneak peek into Wii Doom source files, I stumbled upon this:

Code:
static const char *subst_config_filenames[] =
{
    "doom1-music.cfg",
    "doom2-music.cfg",
    "tnt-music.cfg",
    "heretic-music.cfg",
    "hexen-music.cfg",
    "strife-music.cfg",
};

So i will take the wild guess that those files should have the names of the OGG files inside them, sort of like what RetroArch does to handle its music too.

So inside each .cfg we should specify the names.
Although, as to how the OGG files should be named or if the cfg requires any additional information regarding the OGG names seems to be unknown ATM. :P

I'll try to see if I can get them running. XD

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think I can do a quick release this afternoon for all four games. But first I have to go to work. You can expect it in 10 hours as Strife took more time for implementing the most of the remaining changes for the DEMO campaign which tries emulating the real DEMO version.

For Strife, I tried to do a SVE fork which includes most of the original changes which made it into the STEAM release and it seems to work but it has a weird bug, crashing the game after a certain time of playing. It complains about freeing a memory block that is not covered by ZONEID and I seemingly can't be able to find that bug so there won't be a release for the SVE fork after all. But the repository is on GitHub as well. I will only do a video later for those interested in what it looks like.

The only thing is that I can't release the music for all ports. You have to get music for yourself.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
IThe only thing is that I can't release the music for all ports. You have to get music for yourself.
Fair enough. :P

I already have the music files I used for RetroArch, I'll just convert them to OGG and see what happens. XD

If not then Google will be my help.

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Here are the music file names for Heretic:
heretic_music.PNG

I didn't rename them, they worked perfectly as i extracted them. Look at syscraft.org for osts.

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
* Download Link & Info updated (R30) *

Changes for DOOM:

- speed up when choosing PWAD's in the wad selector menu
- disallow addition of previous selected PWAD's
- reset flags for PWAD's when pressing the "X"-button on the WAD selector menu
- added ingame console
- added OGG-music support
- fixed menu button for going back

Changes for HERETIC:

- added ingame console

Changes for HEXEN:

- added ingame console

Changes for STRIFE:

- added support for teleporting to MAP36 (which was part of the STRIFE Teaser DEMO - it's a DEV-MAP)
- added ingame console
- added more changes to the DEMO campaign

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just download the latest release and overwrite all the old files on your USB hard drive or stick / SD card.

Look into the "*-music.cfg" files for the file names. Put the .OGG-files into the desired "*-music" folder of the desired game.

IMPORTANT: OGG files have to be encoded at 32.000 Hz as there seems to be a bug in the SDL or Vorbis library that i used for compiling the SDL music part with. If the files are compiled at a higher rate, they will most likely play way to fast. There is a conversion script for FFMPEG included in the R30 release that you can use with linux to do that automatically for any OGG file inside the same directory where the shell script is located. It will put the converted OGG files into the "CONV" directory afterwards. It will convert OGG to OGG with 32.000 Hz which worked fine for me in the end.

You then need to switch from OPL to OGG in the sound settings and reboot the game.

I hope i could help.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
nitr8, I think it is worth noting.
in the doom1-music.cfg you have the following:
b2e05b4e8dff8d76f8f4c3a724e7dbd365390536 = doom1-music/d_inter.ogg
0c0acce45130bab935d2f1e85664b29a3c724fcd = doom1-music/d_intro.ogg
fca4086939a68ae4ed84c96e6bf0bd5621ddbe3d = doom1-music/d_victor.ogg
5971e5e20554f47ca06568832abd37db5e5a94f7 = doom1-music/d_intro.ogg

You wrote d_intro.ogg two times.
Which one is the HASH for d_intro.ogg and which one for d_introa.ogg?

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
nitr8, I think it is worth noting.
in the doom1-music.cfg you have the following:

You wrote d_intro.ogg two times.
Which one is the HASH for d_intro.ogg and which one for d_introa.ogg?

I can tell you for sure that those entries are stock as the config files are coming from the "digital music packs" of Chocolate DOOM. I only changed the file extension and not the filename itself. I would keep that "as is". "INTRO" and "INTROA" are the same song with only this one difference:

void S_ChangeMusic(int musicnum, int looping)
{
musicinfo_t *music = NULL;
char namebuf[9];
void *handle;

// The Doom IWAD file has two versions of the intro music: d_intro
// and d_introa. The latter is used for OPL playback.
if (musicnum == mus_intro && (snd_musicdevice == SNDDEVICE_ADLIB || snd_musicdevice == SNDDEVICE_SB))
{
// HACK: NOT FOR SHARE 1.0 & 1.1 && REG 1.1
if(fsize != 4207819 && fsize != 4274218 && fsize != 10396254)
musicnum = mus_introa;
// HACK: IF SHAREWARE 1.0 OR 1.1
else
musicnum = mus_intro;
}

This piece of code is from the S_SOUNDS.C file of Chocolate DOOM and there is mentioned that they only differ for the kind of playback: ADLIB and OPL. But the problem is that the "INTROA" lump in the IWAD file of the shareware version 1.0, 1.1 and registered version 1.1 of DOOM is non-existent. That's the point where i added the "HACK" part for IWAD compatibility with this Wii port.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh good then.

I noticed something else.

In tnt-config and doom2-config you have the same song names for both games.
That's fine, since I know TNT borrows music from Doom 2, but what really confuses me is the following two things:

• i.e. d_dead.flac - You have all of the songs named with .flac extension, shouldn't they be OGG instead? Or am I missing something?
  • Both TNT and Doom 2 configs refer to the same song, i.e. d_dead for BOTH TNT and Doom 2.
    If they require the same name, then why even have two separate folders for Doom 2 and TNT? Why not use the same Doom 2 and point TNT's music to Doom 2's?
I am just about to end with the OGG placement and that last part confused me.
Should I have d_dead.ogg (to take an example) in BOTH folders, or Doom 2 should be "d_dead" and TNT should be "tnt_dead"?

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Oh good then.

I noticed something else.

In tnt-config and doom2-config you have the same song names for both games.
That's fine, since I know TNT borrows music from Doom 2, but what really confuses me is the following two things:

• i.e. d_dead.flac - You have all of the songs named with .flac extension, shouldn't they be OGG instead? Or am I missing something?

• Did I miss to rename the files? Change the extension to OGG. That's all.

[*]Both TNT and Doom 2 configs refer to the same song, i.e. d_dead for BOTH TNT and Doom 2.
    If they require the same name, then why even have two separate folders for Doom 2 and TNT? Why not use the same Doom 2 and point TNT's music to Doom 2's?
I am just about to end with the OGG placement and that last part confused me.
Should I have d_dead.ogg (to take an example) in BOTH folders, or Doom 2 should be "d_dead" and TNT should be "tnt_dead"?

DOOM and TNT use the same file names but Final DOOM doesn't really use the same songs as DOOM did. Final DOOM has rearranged songs from DOOM 2, some new songs and even songs from DOOM.

ploder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just download the latest release and overwrite all the old files on your USB hard drive or stick / SD card.

Look into the "*-music.cfg" files for the file names. Put the .OGG-files into the desired "*-music" folder of the desired game.

IMPORTANT: OGG files have to be encoded at 32.000 Hz as there seems to be a bug in the SDL or Vorbis library that i used for compiling the SDL music part with. If the files are compiled at a higher rate, they will most likely play way to fast. There is a conversion script for FFMPEG included in the R30 release that you can use with linux to do that automatically for any OGG file inside the same directory where the shell script is located. It will put the converted OGG files into the "CONV" directory afterwards. It will convert OGG to OGG with 32.000 Hz which worked fine for me in the end.

You then need to switch from OPL to OGG in the sound settings and reboot the game.

I hope i could help.
I'm trying this out with Doom. I am using this music pack:
http://sc55.duke4.net/games.php#doom

Should we be using the 'boosted' version or 'raw'?

Also, relating to the sample rate, the above digital pack files above are 44100Hz. I have converted a song using: http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-ogg keeping the same bit-rate but changing the sample rate to 32000Hz. Is this the best way to do this in Windows? I have listened to the converted song and to my ears it might be a little 'flatter'. I am by no means an audiophile, but was wondering am I doing this right or is there a better way? I presume I just drop the converted files into \apps\WiiDoom\doom1-music and make sure the names match up to -music.cfg?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I am having issues with Doom 2/TNT/Plutonia recognizing the OGG files.
Doom 1 are just fine (although I have to change 44100Hz to 32'000 since they sound slower, but they still play in Final Doom), but the OGG for Doom 2 and the rest are not playing at all, even with the OGG music enabled in the Settings of the game.

I have them like d_(music).ogg in Doom 2, and for TNT I have them in two formats: d_(music).ogg and tnt_(music).ogg
None of them play the OGG, it just uses the music from the Chocolate version.

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I am having issues with Doom 2/TNT/Plutonia recognizing the OGG files.
Doom 1 are just fine (although I have to change 44100Hz to 32-000 since they sound slower, but they still play in Final Doom), but the OGG for Doom 2 and the rest are not playing at all, even with the OGG music enabled in the Settings of the game.

I have them like d_(music).ogg in Doom 2, and for TNT I have them in two formats: d_(music).ogg and tnt_(music).ogg
None of them play the OGG, it just uses the music from the Chocolate version.

The problem is that i completely forgot to fix the SHA1 hashes generating & checking. In my next release, all the ports will create the "*-music.cfg" file every time the game is being started. Chocolate DOOM needs to check the SHA1 hashes of the music lumps in the IWAD and assign those to the required music files for playing. Those SHA1 hashes do differ from IWAD to IWAD - and there do exist lots of them. That's the reason why music isn't playing but it should with the next release.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: (this is going to be horribly misinterpreted as me wanting to fuck DK or smth, isn't it?)