Homebrew [RELEASE] Wii-DOOM / Wii-HERETIC / Wii-HEXEN / Wii-STRIFE (ALL-IN-ONE) *PROPER*

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have no such issues regarding the game crashing when trying to load an IWAD. I've tried it with the latest release.

DmitryN: what's your setup for running the games? Are you using an USB stick or real USB hard drive? A few weeks ago I figured out that using USB sticks may causes all of the games to not be able to play music. I don't know what else might be caused by this situation but I prefer you really use an USB hard drive for playing each of the games. I have no solution to USB sticks yet and didn't test if it's only a particular USB stick or happens for all possible sticks out there.

DmitryN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have no such issues regarding the game crashing when trying to load an IWAD. I've tried it with the latest release.

DmitryN: what's your setup for running the games? Are you using an USB stick or real USB hard drive? A few weeks ago I figured out that using USB sticks may causes all of the games to not be able to play music. I don't know what else might be caused by this situation but I prefer you really use an USB hard drive for playing each of the games. I have no solution to USB sticks yet and didn't test if it's only a particular USB stick or happens for all possible sticks out there.

First of all, sorry for the delay.
Well, I tried to run the games with three different USB stick; I do not have an USB drive.

For some strange reason, Strife is the only game that starts and is playable. However, always gives the error "DSI Exception" when I leave the game.
You got to see my video demonstrating the problem? You may have added something in the code that is giving me this problem in Doom/Heretic/Hexen. There is some additional configuration necessary in cIOS / IOS to run these games?

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
First of all, sorry for the delay.
Well, I tried to run the games with three different USB stick; I do not have an USB drive.

For some strange reason, Strife is the only game that starts and is playable. However, always gives the error "DSI Exception" when I leave the game.
You got to see my video demonstrating the problem? You may have added something in the code that is giving me this problem in Doom/Heretic/Hexen. There is some additional configuration necessary in cIOS / IOS to run these games?

I had to do lots of changes in order to get the games to run the way they do for the Wii. But there is this reason why I said that it would be best to use an USB hard drive.

There is no need to change anything regarding cIOS as the games do not operate with the Wii's IOSes in any way.

I almost played DOOM and HERETIC completely on my Wii. They do run fine. Next step is getting the STRIFE port enhancement done. It's a huge work that I did the last few weeks and I'm still implementing things. After that, I'm going to play HEXEN and finally STRIFE. I don't have much time left. Three months for mostly fixing occurring bugs and nothing else but I also need to finish the STRIFE project.

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
^Sorry to be a nuance, but my curiosity still kicks in.
Is the OPL/SDL switch something on the To--Do list for Doom?

There is an SDL-OGG thing in the works for Strife, but...:

1.) you cannot switch the music engine without restarting the game
2.) Chocolate uses Timidity for playback of the external OGG files (hell, why...?)
3.) third party OGG files need to be encoded at 32.000 Hz or else they are playing way too fast / too slow (maybe a Wii libSDLmixer or general SDLmixer bug?)
4.) expect the game to crash as this is what happened to me when at least trying to switch music engines while the game is running
5.) no plan yet on implementing this into the DOOM port as I need to finish this for Strife and test it afterwards
6.) hopefully get rid of Timidity usage for SDLmixer OGG playback as the lib includes native OGG vorbis support and Timidity (using its GUS instrument patches) will only fuck up the way the OGG files sound like

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There is an SDL-OGG thing in the works for Strife, but...:

1.) you cannot switch the music engine without restarting the game
2.) Chocolate uses Timidity for playback of the external OGG files (hell, why...?)
3.) third party OGG files need to be encoded at 32.000 Hz or else they are playing way too fast / too slow (maybe a Wii libSDLmixer or general SDLmixer bug?)
4.) expect the game to crash as this is what happened to me when at least trying to switch music engines while the game is running
5.) no plan yet on implementing this into the DOOM port as I need to finish this for Strife and test it afterwards
It sounds mostly good.
The restarting the game to make the change apply is not a bother at all, same for the OGG file encoding.

In short words, if you get it running for Strife you might implement it for the rest of the ports?

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It sounds mostly good.
The restarting the game to make the change apply is not a bother at all, same for the OGG file encoding.

In short words, if you get it running for Strife you might implement it for the rest of the ports?

Maybe... I'm not going to promise anything just yet. I hope it runs stable in the end. If not, abandon it. :-/

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Currently, Strife needs my full attention as it gets a massive update. The features implemented into Strife won't find a way into any of the other ports for one good reason. The only change I might do is the music engine thing and nothing else.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Great news on .ogg support.
Would a guide on filepath setup and file naming be possible so that ogg music is enabled?
Thanks for all the great work so far!
200px-132Ditto_Ranger3.png

I would like to know that too so I can set up OGG music ASAP with Wii Doom and ditch RetroArch. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Nobody is reading what you post.