Homebrew [RELEASE] Wii-DOOM / Wii-HERETIC / Wii-HEXEN / Wii-STRIFE (ALL-IN-ONE) *PROPER*

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
^I was having issues loading up my WAD files for any of my games (Doom, Doom 2, TNT, Plutonia) from the SD. They all gave me a code dump.
Does R32 have any to do with that? Is that the fix related to OGG and SD?

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
^I was having issues loading up my WAD files for any of my games (Doom, Doom 2, TNT, Plutonia) from the SD. They all gave me a code dump.
Does R32 have any to do with that? Is that the fix related to OGG and SD?

You may only try it. Currently I have no chance to test it for myself. I've added the support for SD card usage but highly doubt that it will run smoothly. During my tests with OGG music, I had the feeling that the games would run minimal slower - even if they are being run from USB drives.

The purpose of R32 is to be able to run OGG music off SD cards as well when the game is also running from SD card.

I will have a look at the SD card thing later.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You may only try it. Currently I have no chance to test it for myself. I've added the support for SD card usage but highly doubt that it will run smoothly. During my tests with OGG music, I had the feeling that the games would run minimal slower - even if they are being run from USB drives.

The purpose of R32 is to be able to run OGG music off SD cards as well when the game is also running from SD card.

I will have a look at the SD card thing later.

Well I just gave it a try and now the games boot, no more code dumps so far.
I tried both Doom 1 with OGG converted to 32'000, they played fine (although I noticed an odd sound whenever a guitar-like sound plays).
Doom 2 still had the slowed down music because I haven't converted it to 32'000 yet, so everything seems fine so far.

Both OGG and WAD files being run from an SD.

Edit: One funny thing though, after e1m1 stops playing, it doesn't loop back with OGG music.
I don't know if the same happens to the rest of the songs since I just played E1M1, E1M2, E2M1, E3M1 and E4M1 to test the music quickly, then I switched to Doom 2.

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Edit: One funny thing though, after e1m1 stops playing, it doesn't loop back with OGG music.
I don't know if the same happens to the rest of the songs since I just played E1M1, E1M2, E2M1, E3M1 and E4M1 to test the music quickly, then I switched to Doom 2.

That may still needs to be fixed as I currently only had the wish to make music work as it should for playing the maps. Intermission etc. may still need a fix for the loop bug that I found for actual map playing.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yep, I just continued playing through like 3 mission in each Episode, and instead of looping the music, it sometimes jumps into another track.

Doesn't matter though, I just hope this feedback can help in the future. :)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
One more thing to report:

So I am experimenting A LOT with the OGG files for Doom(s).
Since I want to keep the bit-rate intact for the OGG files, I figured I should edit the OGG files and speed them up until I can get a proper sound in-game.
So for the OGG files I got from Syscraft.org, I sped them 38% more than the original, and got a proper sound for E1M1 in game.

Even though I finally got a proper sound out of the game without modifying the bit-rate, it seems like the song itself starts to loop WAY before the song ends.

EDIT: nitr8, where do you recommend we get the OGG files from?

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Even though I finally got a proper sound out of the game without modifying the bit-rate, it seems like the song itself starts to loop WAY before the song ends.

That's what i was talking about when implementing support for third party music files. It's not that easy.

EDIT: nitr8, where do you recommend we get the OGG files from?

I ripped mine off an old 16 bit ISA sound card: ESS ES 1868F AudioDrive as it's very close to the original OPL.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Now this one is REALLY interesting.

So I finally got all my OGGs to work with Wii-Doom, but found something odd when playing Doom 2.
I started using the cheats to test different maps and their songs (still have 3 OGGs that don't play at all, but I'll fix them tomorrow).

Play any map long enough in Doom 2 as an example with OGG music enabled, play until your OGG is just about to loop and then...
BOOM! Black screen and the app kicks me back to the HBC.

I wasn't sure at first why it did that, but I noticed the pattern when I played in other stages.
Right before the song goes back to the beginning (loop), the game just black screens with no code dump at all and kicks you back to the HBC.

That's rather odd.
I tested D2,TNT and Plutonia and the same thing happens in all 3. I can't be sure if it occurs in D1 since I didn't have time to test it in that one, perhaps it does the same.

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Now this one is REALLY interesting.

So I finally got all my OGGs to work with Wii-Doom, but found something odd when playing Doom 2.
I started using the cheats to test different maps and their songs (still have 3 OGGs that don't play at all, but I'll fix them tomorrow).

Play any map long enough in Doom 2 as an example with OGG music enabled, play until your OGG is just about to loop and then...
BOOM! Black screen and the app kicks me back to the HBC.

I wasn't sure at first why it did that, but I noticed the pattern when I played in other stages.
Right before the song goes back to the beginning (loop), the game just black screens with no code dump at all and kicks you back to the HBC.

That's rather odd.
I tested D2,TNT and Plutonia and the same thing happens in all 3. I can't be sure if it occurs in D1 since I didn't have time to test it in that one, perhaps it does the same.

Calm down. The reason the game quits is because there is no check for other games like DOOM 2. Currently with the release of R31, music lumps are not being checked for the corresponding IWAD (for example whether it's a DOOM or DOOM 2 game that is being started).

This will be fixed in the next release. I had the same issue before but almost made a workaround for it.

And one more important thing: if one of the games ever kicks you back to the homebrew channel, then there might be a file created in the game folder that is named "debug.txt". In that file there might be the error written.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...