Poll: Your thoughts on the Switch

359211-switch-thoughts.png

As the day of the Nintendo Switch conference and hands-on impressions draws to a close and the beans have been thoroughly spilled, we want to ask you - what do you think?

What are your impressions on the overall unveiling of the Switch given the pricing, games and hardware capabilities? Will you be Switching? Perhaps you've already pre-ordered one.

Vote in the poll and let us know! And be sure to share your comments in the thread below.

:switch:

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I love Nintendo and I want them to be around forever but sometimes I ask myself why did Nintendo do that? I think $299.99 USD is a little bit steep for what they are offering on launch. I am not a fan of the battery life. I'm guessing maybe 3 hours playtime before it dies and the rest is just standby time. The controllers seem kind of small. I mean I would love to play games like Skyrim on the go but it has to be comfortable to hold for long periods. I will give them props for trying to be innovative but I see it as Wii U ver 2 after the launch hype.
There's not even a platforming Mario game as a launch title. If Nintendo released "Super Mario World Remastered" everyone would be more than happy, just as long as it wouldn't be a full priced RRP title.

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
The point of buying Nintendo consoles is not for third-party support (which they sucked at with the Wii U and now the Switch), but for the big Ninty franchises. The last console I bought from Nintendo was the New 3DS XL. I sold my Wii, didn't have any interest in the Wii U. No Metroid games since the Wii (at least ACTUAL ones starring Samus, not that Federation/Pinball crap)? Why? The Mario games had been rather disappointing, too (Sticker Star Saga, etc), though they did put out a few decent platformers and RPG-style games here and there. Same with Zelda, we got two new 3DS games since the Wii. I don't get why BotW has been in development for so long, and why we haven't heard a peep about Samus either. /endrant

Either way... I'll maybe get this, if it gets hacked and the price drops. A $300 system is fairly cheap, but I can get a bundle with a more powerful console, for that price or lower. Sorry, Nintendo. It really depends on your first-party franchises. Breath of the Wild looks fantastic, but nothing else interests me.... yet. Let Retro Studios do some more Metroid games and I'm sold.

Reactions: DrkBeam and clownz

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The point of buying Nintendo consoles is not for third-party support (which they sucked at with the Wii U and now the Switch), but for the big Ninty franchises. The last console I bought from Nintendo was the New 3DS XL. I sold my Wii, didn't have any interest in the Wii U. No Metroid games since the Wii (at least ACTUAL ones starring Samus, not that Federation/Pinball crap)? Why? The Mario games had been rather disappointing, too (Sticker Star Saga, etc), though they did put out a few decent platformers and RPG-style games here and there. Same with Zelda, we got two new 3DS games since the Wii. I don't get why BotW has been in development for so long, and why we haven't heard a peep about Samus either. /endrant

Either way... I'll maybe get this, if it gets hacked and the price drops. A $300 system is fairly cheap, but I can get a bundle with a more powerful console, for that price or lower. Sorry, Nintendo. It really depends on your first-party franchises. Breath of the Wild looks fantastic, but nothing else interests me.... yet. Let Retro Studios do some more Metroid games and I'm sold.

If there's no third party or if they're not meant for it, how else are they to succeed? Why did the Wii U fail?

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
If there's no third party or if they're not meant for it, how else are they to succeed? Why did the Wii U fail?

The Wii U failed because of the reasons I listed. Few third-party games, and their first-party library was sorely lacking as well. I honestly think the only reason I would buy a Wii U is for Xenoblade Chronicles X. That's about it.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Huh, thought that the controller handle for the Joy-Cons would at least be bundled with the console itself but it's going to be sold separately. Not like it matters, it feels better on the Switch Tablet anyway between the two.

SwitchChargingGrip.jpg

Katsumi San

Trophies
XP
Country
Huh, thought that the controller handle for the Joy-Cons would at least be bundled with the console itself but it's going to be sold separately. Not like it matters, it feels better on the Switch Tablet anyway between the two.

SwitchChargingGrip.jpg

The grip is included...but your posting "grip" is charge version, what is include with switch console box, not charge version.

C2BoUoUUoAAJAcs.jpg:large

Last edited by Katsumi San,
Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano
S

Saiyan Lusitano

The grip is included...but your posting "grip" is charge version, what is include with switch console box, not charge version.

C2BoUoUUoAAJAcs.jpg:large
Thanks for the clarification on that. Did anyone by mistake press the + button on the Joy-Con than A or X when playing Sonic Mania or something? By accident I restarted the demo stage and then the guy had to reboot the unit. Oops.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The NES game for one month is a joke.
Also, the paid online is for multiplayer, so it is optional, and if you play online paying it may not be a problem depending on how much it costs.
If it is something like $20 per year, I don't see a problem.
But considering the awesome pricing Nintendo has been showing those last days, I would expect a yearly subscription of $200 or so.
(as I seldom play online multiplayer I kind of don't give a fuck)

And Nintendo wonders why people pirate ROMs.

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I love everything about it :D

I really like the concept, and especially the fact that they're merging their Wii-style (motion controls) and DS-style (touchscreen) on a portable console. More to the point, the fact that they'll focus on a single console, going forward. Even if it's launch is underwhelming, you can expect it to get even more games than 3DS and Wii U combined, and even higher quality :3

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a part of me that legitimately does not understand how so many people can keep justifying this kind of hardware just because it's Nintendo. When this thing releases, the hardware will have already been on the market for nearly 2 years (the Shield TV launched in May of 2015), in a more powerful form. Yes, I get that it wasn't portable (though the Pixel tablet does exist) and that it doesn't have Nintendo games without emulation, but seriously? A cut down, two year old smartphone SoC, a shitty screen, less features than the competition with their now 'paid' online multiplayer, and controllers that are 80% more expensive than everyone else's. Nintendo needs to drop the price of the console by $100, get their controller prices around $50, and next time, they need to try to actually compete with hardware instead of saying "We're Nintendo, we do our own shit." Frankly, it's just not cute anymore.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Who else is waiting for the Wii U price to plummet now so they can finally buy one and what good games it does have?
Why bother with the WiiU anymore? The good games it had to offer are going to be ported to the Switch/other platforms or the 3DS. It basically lost the exclusives that made it worth buying for.

Bayonetta 2 is still a WiiU exclusive and Project Zero 5.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I'm baffled by is why anyone expected anything differently. microsoft/sony's plan seems to be leverage the "upgrade itch" and less about the funness. standardization of gaming tech isn't an ideal situation, and it baffles me non-conformity enrages so many people. Nintendo's plans are built around what tech they can use to make fun games. Why do you think you need a 4k 160hz IPS touchscreen with 20hrs battery life playing 200GB cartridges and using tech that hasn't been created yet just to play pc games about the same as a decent PC build is....weird.

What exactly were you expecting exactly? This is exactly what I expected, and I'm loving everything about it. it's a wii u+ as a new gameboy. How is that NOT awesome?

Minus the accessory prices. Those stink. I'm assuming the pro controller price has something to do with forcing people to get comfortable with the standard joycon controllers, rather than just assuming they stink and going for the xbox controller.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: FrozenDragon150

ScienceBETCH

GBATemp's probably not Official Tom-Zero™ Main
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Price: Totally Shit
Console: Ok I guess
Online Play: Wtf Nintendo you was our only hope
Games: Looks good and finally a SM64 style mario game
I just hope it will sport hdds. If not, prepare to give 500 dollars for the games.

Last edited by ScienceBETCH,

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What exactly were you expecting exactly? This is exactly what I expected, and I'm loving everything about it. it's a wii u+ as a new gameboy. How is that NOT awesome?

Minus the accessory prices. Those stink. I'm assuming the pro controller price has something to do with forcing people to get comfortable with the standard joycon controllers, rather than just assuming they stink and going for the xbox controller.

When Nintendo really started hyping this thing before the specs leaked, they claimed it was almost as powerful as the XBox One. Even it was only 75%, that thought was genuinely exciting. If THAT deviced had launched for $299, no one would be complaining. What I expect is that a device that's probably about 3x more powerful that the PS3 not counting the RAM shouldn't cost $300 USD. If this thing had started At $199, even with the less than stellar launch list, I think it would've been fine. If Nintendo wasn't doing that stupid shit with renting their VC games with the paid online, it'd be fine. Normal priced controllers and accessories, fine. Remember the 3DS? After all the die hard earlier adopters bought theirs, that thing started to bomb hard. At least until the price drop. I imagine the same thing will happen here. There is nothing to justify what any of this crap is costing.

LinkBlaBla

This is Perfect!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's a part of me that legitimately does not understand how so many people can keep justifying this kind of hardware just because it's Nintendo. When this thing releases, the hardware will have already been on the market for nearly 2 years (the Shield TV launched in May of 2015), in a more powerful form. Yes, I get that it wasn't portable (though the Pixel tablet does exist) and that it doesn't have Nintendo games without emulation, but seriously? A cut down, two year old smartphone SoC, a shitty screen, less features than the competition with their now 'paid' online multiplayer, and controllers that are 80% more expensive than everyone else's. Nintendo needs to drop the price of the console by $100, get their controller prices around $50, and next time, they need to try to actually compete with hardware instead of saying "We're Nintendo, we do our own shit." Frankly, it's just not cute anymore.

You know what under the hood??? please confirm the specs for me !!

Wait until it is confirmed maybe it more powerful than you think! and the price for god sake you guy are ok to buy 500$ ps4 at it release switch not even release and 300-450 is too much?For my perspective i think peoples are BS Nintendo because they didn't see what they expected more...

Reactions: osaka35

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo