Hardware Please help pick best options for new game laptop!

Is this good?

• Total voters

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I dunno what the stream people talking about, but i'm not using it for live broadcast to any kind, not youtube or twitch. If i want to record anything, i simply can buy a hardware video encoder capture device like this one.

I guess another question i forgot to ask is about the storage. Why are people recommending a SSD even with the inclusion of HDD? Having higher storage at lower cost would be getting HDD over SSD correct? :mellow:
An SSD makes sure that your OS boots quicker and stays on its feet, i.e decreases the chance of slowdowns. So you get a combo of a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. While you use the HDD for all your mass file storage concerns, the SSD can be used a the boot drive for Windows and installation drive for applications which could make use of the exponentially higher speed offered from the SSD and run quicker if need be. Comprendé?

Of course, nothing is necessary.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Link? I'm pretty sure Nvidia will never use the term Stream processors.
I guess I meant to say stream multiprocessor, sorry for the confusion . Stream processor is another name for cuda cores. AMD calls it GCN now to follow up with nVidias brand name Cuda that are also stream processors.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I guess I meant to say stream multiprocessor, sorry for the confusion . Stream processor is another name for cuda cores. AMD calls it GCN now to follow up with nVidias brand name Cuda that are also stream processors.
  • CUDA Cores are Nvidia’s GPU Muti-core units
  • Stream Processors are AMD’s GPU Muti-core units
  • We cannot equate CUDA Cores are Stream Processors
  • GPU Architecture matters a lot along with number of Processor Cores

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"10 frames when you are already pulling 60fps on a monitor that won't show off anything higher than that is just silly e-peen jerking."
Do you not comprehend the benchmarks? None of the AAA titles at 1080p (except Gears of War 4) see the 1050 come even minutely close to 60fps. Heck even the Ti misses that mark atmost by 10 fps. That's the desktop version, expect the laptop 1050 to do worse. If you're talking about e-Sports games, why bother even getting a 1050? Get a 960m or something.

"We are in a renaissance period for GPU development as far as price to performance is concerned so in 5 years we are going to see gains that will make the 1080 ti be considered obsolete so why bother blowing another 200 to get a 1060 or another 50 to get the 1050 ti (which would only net OP a few extra frames per second)"

Let's talk about 1080p yo. What the OP's resolution is going to be. Let's talk about absolute performance. Where does the 1080Ti even come in this conversation. Its not even relevant for 1080p.
Let me clear it for you how the GPU standings are- 1050 for eSport 1080p games, 1050Ti for High-Ultra AAA 1080p, GTX1060 for widescreen 2560x1080, 1070 for 1440p, GTX 1080 for widescreen 3840x 1440 and 1080Ti for 4K (well almost). These are how the desktop products are places, should give you a fair idea where the laptop products stand.

If you sincerely think that the OP should get the 1050, I totally respect that. But my recommendation stands for the 1050Ti, atleast for 1080p screens. Totally worth it.
read the benchmarks again. when the settings were on high the 1050 had average fps around 60 and that was a card with 2gb of vram. the card is actually getting bottlenecked by the vram and when you double it to 4gb you will see a rise in fps. put the settings to medium and he will have a consistent 60fps on just about anything he throws at it. that will be vastly superior to a console experience. what you want OP to get will cost hundreds more for minimal gain. it's just not worth it when the processor is far more needed according to his needs.

Your logic for the SSD is also flawed as you are thinking of building a desktop and not a laptop that isn't going to be cold booted everytime it gets turned on. his gains there will be OS booting and it will be by a solid minute but after that it's not gonna really matter due to what he wants to do with the system itself. to save costs omitting the SSD makes sense when he wants a high capacity HDD.

Think of things in the perspective of a budget gaming rig that excels at emulation and you'll see OP won't need the ti or even a 1060 and that the choices that have been chosen as far as laptops are concerned will meet and in some cases, exceed what he is looking for.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
  • CUDA Cores are Nvidia’s GPU Muti-core units
  • Stream Processors are AMD’s GPU Muti-core units
  • We cannot equate CUDA Cores are Stream Processors
  • GPU Architecture matters a lot along with number of Processor Cores
Cuda cores run parallel with stream multiprocessors. Say for example the GTX970 GPU has 17 Stream Multiprocessors with 128 cuda cores (stream processor in AMD terms) per Stream Multiprocessor (average).

I think the only difference between the GTX1050 and GTX1050ti is that the GTX1050 has 1 stream multiprocessor disabled and has a slightly higher clock speed to fill the gap. It would explain the less cuda cores as well.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will know soon enough if the laptop in question has TI or not, when i receive the email. So far most of the post here are about weather or not I should get one with TI or not is the main focus, also including having a SSD for quicker boot times over higher storage capacity for lower cost.

I did find this earlier over some suggestions, http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np6872-clevo-n870hk1.html

Though this one does use 5400 RPM HDD instead of 7200 RPM and has 8GB of ram instead of 16. I doubt is as bad i guess.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, the email result stated that the model listed i asked about does not have Ti included. They do have ones with Ti but the one i listed in the first op model doesn't. Though the price of this one is $1100 The other is slightly more expensive, it has GTX 1050TI as well as 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD 7200RPM.

Thank you for contacting ASUS Product Support.
My name is Daniel M. and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

In regards to the query made for the specifications of the video card in the GL753VD-DS71 we can advise that it only comes with GTX 1050 not the TI.

The models that have the GTX 1050TI are GL753VE-BS71-CB, GL753VE-DS74 & GL753VE-Q72SP-CB.

You are more than welcome to visit our Asus support website: http://www.asus.com/us/support
If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

I didn't wanna have to spend more money for a better offer, so i dunno what to do now. I guess the sager one i found earlier is a slight better choice? I'm lost here, so help is appreciated. :unsure:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you already saw the video, there's someone that posted benchmarks about 15 games and it has same cpu and gpu.

And then the ti version

Last edited by RaMon90,

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you already saw the video, there's someone that posted benchmarks about 15 games and it has same cpu and gpu.

And then the ti version

As much as people like pushing the better choice of things, i want a affordable performance pc with reliable hardware. Somehow i guess it doesn't exist in laptop form or i'm not looking hard enough, and the contradictions with personal opinions don't help. Just give idea of good brands and bad brands, and only the ones with the Ti card lower than $1100 that would probably be a start, unless someone has a better offer for me. :unsure:

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as people like pushing the better choice of things, i want a affordable performance pc with reliable hardware. Somehow i guess it doesn't exist in laptop form or i'm not looking hard enough, and the contradictions with personal opinions don't help. Just give idea of good brands and bad brands, and only the ones with the Ti card lower than $1100 that would probably be a start, unless someone has a better offer for me. :unsure:
And this is the reason why I stated back in page 2 of the post, you should get what you feel will be sufficient to you and your budget. You will be conflicted and confused, because you have a conundrum, go economy based on your budget, or go for performance while sacrificing your budget in the process. It's really a catch 22 you're in.

J-Machine

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What Random said. if you scale back the settings on the games they will be more playable. The last thing you want to do is get hung up on specs and benchmarks. looking at those two videos shows me the stock 1050 will give you console level fps while on higher graphics settings on the more demanding games out there right now. you have the i7 so the performance in emulators is also going to be great.

Do yourself a favor and don't go down the better spec rabbit hole as even better performing laptops at $2000 won't seem good enough

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this web site is where i found this one at. Is at least $100 cheaper but it has some custom options to offer. What does the people think of this one for $979?

I mean i know adding some stuff would cost a bit more, but if is possible to still get a better outcome than the other one at $1100 if is a slight edge somehow. :unsure:

J-Machine

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So this web site is where i found this one at. Is at least $100 cheaper but it has some custom options to offer. What does the people think of this one for $979?

I mean i know adding some stuff would cost a bit more, but if is possible to still get a better outcome than the other one at $1100 if is a slight edge somehow. :unsure:
With windows 10 home (you gotta select it) and improving the wireless (for $15) and improving the thermal compound option ($35 dollars but it's money very well spent since they are applying it to the gpu as well) I got the price up to $1,099.00 (apparently if you pay it all at once it's only $1,066.03 though?)

of course if you are not super confident in upgrading your ram yourself at a later date (the easiest upgrade you can do) I would select the 16gb option as well at $75 but again it will be cheaper to do it yourself and its a very easy job that takes like 5 minutes to do.

This build assumes you will make a recovery backup image of windows right away after getting the laptop (buy an 8-16gb usb drive for this if you don't have a spare lying around you can dedicate to only the recovery image. it also assumes you are installing a free antivirus like avast right away or you have a spare license key for something else on hand. Overall since this is a laptop i'm not recommending the M2 drive to store windows on and since it sounds like you only have one 2.5 drive available i'm also not recommending the the SSD option. xyou can add the M2 for $85 if you really want a better windows experience but it's over inflated performance/price wise in my opinion hence my exclusion.

Other than this it looks great. I did notice though you can save $200 by getting the 15inch screen version of this laptop if you aren't super dedicated to the 17" screen.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other than this it looks great. I did notice though you can save $200 by getting the 15inch screen version of this laptop if you aren't super dedicated to the 17" screen
How much of a difference is 17 over 15? Of course i know with the HDMI port i can always use a tv or monitor, but since is laptop, is primary a mobile device, wanting a bigger screen for display i thought made more sense.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Those specs are actually really good for the price, and I hear a lot of good things about that brand of PCs :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro