XP
Country
United States

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Windows gets worse and worse and I honestly wish I had the motivation to get used to another OS... And that's probably what Microsoft is counting on. I will probably be forced to make the move at some point.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
It sounds like you can still change it, but you have to do it through the Windows settings.

If MS does completely block users from changing the default browser, the EU would be over them like a ton of bricks, so I'd be surprised if they do it.

aquova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kolbicz believes this change may be to comply with Europe's Digital Markets Act (DMA), which aims to ensure fair competition and the prevention of anti-competitive practices by six large companies, known as "gatekeepers."
I'm not quite sure how that logic works. This seems like the exact opposite of that. I know people have their reservations about Linux, but boy it's nice to be free of this nonsense

I've decided, Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC will be my final Windows OS and afterwards it's Linux Mint which I've already gotten used to.
If anyone else is thinking about switching, I would strongly recommend Linux Mint as well. I think it's probably the best Linux version to get into (and continue using forever, if you're so inclined).

Reactions: Marc_LFD

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
If anyone else is thinking about switching, I would strongly recommend Linux Mint as well. I think it's probably the best Linux version to get into (and continue using forever, if you're so inclined).

I've actually had issues with Linux Mint and a couple other distros e.g. 86box wouldn't install, which is how I ended up on Fedora, although that also has issues albeit different ones.

Mint is fine for the basics, but if you're into more 'advanced'/ other stuff be prepared to distro hop.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
C'mon. This is over-reacting. The driver does NOT prevent anyone from simply changing the default browser in the normal Windows settings like they always have. This is every bit as much over-reacting as when you said one of the reasons you wouldn't use Win 11 was because you had to look online for how to change the taskbar orientation, when the settings for that are right were they've always been.... in the taskbar settings.

For me Win 11 is hands down better than Vista, 8, and 10. I've tried many, many, many versions of Linux throughout the years and I will always think it sucks FAR more than any version of Windows I've ever used. Well... Win ME and 8 might be exceptions but outside of that it will never be able to truly compete with Windows. The big Linux takeover is never going to happen. Mostly because it's so incredibly user unfriendly to people that don't want to learn something new. There are also plenty of Windows apps that have no Linux version and don't run properly (or at all) with any compatibility layer like Wine.

Last edited by RedColoredStars,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's just the browser that's automatically opened when needed e.g. opening html files, software wants to direct users to a website, etc.
Yes, exactly. How often are people opening up HTML files anymore? How often does one interact with software that directs users to a website? It is surely not as common as it once was.

Even if you're dealing with software that redirects you, is it really so terrible to have one tab open up in Edge for whatever trivial thing the software needs?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, exactly. How often are people opening up HTML files anymore? How often does one interact with software that directs users to a website? It is surely not as common as it once was.

Even if you're dealing with software that redirects you, is it really so terrible to have one tab open up in Edge for whatever trivial thing the software needs?

Well clearly it's important enough for MS to be doing this.

As for myself, well if the software is using a browser to log in, then it's annoying having it in a different browser to where my password manager is. I've also done web development so I'm the wrong person to ask that question to.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu

If you live all of your computer life / all activities in a webbrowser (emails etc) sure I can see what you mean.
But if you have a separate email client, make notes in another separate note application, etc etc, you'll be clicking lots of links that would open up your browser.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm glad myself not using Windows anymore. Linux Mint is ok to transition to another OS after using Windows for years, as it feels so similar, but once you get more comfortable using the Linux environment, nothing stops you from experimenting more advanced Linux distros, as was mentioned above.

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad myself not using Windows anymore. Linux Mint is ok to transition to another OS after using Windows for years, as it feels so similar, but once you get more comfortable using the Linux environment, nothing stops you from experimenting more advanced Linux distros, as was mentioned above.
Several members here seem to be big Linux Mint fans. I've had decent luck with Ubuntu, but I may want to give Linux Mint a try on my next go-round. For the tech savvy, do these Linux OS's do as much telemetry and "phoning home" as Windows?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

If it's just the UI, then other 'windows like' UIs exist as well, I use KDE plasma.

Reactions: Dud and Marc_LFD

aquova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The driver does NOT prevent anyone from simply changing the default browser in the normal Windows settings like they always have.
I'll admit I did misread this. However, I think it would prevent browsers from having a "Set as default browser" button that works? Which seems pretty annoying, I would imagine that's how most people set their default browser, rather than digging around in some Windows setting.

Several members here seem to be big Linux Mint fans. I've had decent luck with Ubuntu, but I may want to give Linux Mint a try on my next go-round. For the tech savvy, do these Linux OS's do as much telemetry and "phoning home" as Windows?
It's been a while since I've used Mint, but I think any telemetry they have is opt-in at installation.

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll admit I did misread this. However, I think it would prevent browsers from having a "Set as default browser" button that works? Which seems pretty annoying, I would imagine that's how most people set their default browser, rather than digging around in some Windows setting.

It's been a while since I've used Mint, but I think any telemetry they have is opt-in at installation.
Thank you. People keep telling me that Windows is watching my every move. It makes you think, every once in a while.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good lord. How many of you didn't even read the article? This only prevents other software from changing the default browser. The Windows setting to change it is not being removed. This is s complete non-issue. I don't want 3rd party apps changing ANY of my Windows settings so I'm not even sure how this is a bad thing. Most people on the Windows hate wagon barely know how to use a PC to begin with and if this was something that had existed before and MS were now REMOVING it... the same people complaining would then be saying "W1nDozE iz worES and worES!!! MiCOROSuFT KeeP REMOIVNGS Fee7UREZ!!!!!"

This is a non issue. Nothing to see here. Option to change default browser is not being removed from Win 10 and 11.

Reactions: Kwyjor

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you. People keep telling me that Windows is watching my every move. It makes you think, every once in a while.
Let's just put it this way, I would definitely trust more an open source OS, than a commercial closed source OS that has probably been spying on its users for at least a decade.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol