Nintendont

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Homebrew' started by sabykos, Jun 10, 2013.

Jun 10, 2013

Nintendont by sabykos at 5:43 PM (1,092,810 Views / 46 Likes) 12,861 Comments

• Newcomer

sabykos New Member

Message Count:
    Germany
    Nintendont

Direct link to the latest open source version : here

What is Nintendont?

Nintendont is obviously not a modification of the MIOS, like DIOS MIOS (lite), because the vWii does not have a MIOS.
    It is neither a emulator, because the vWii is not powerful enough to emulate GameCube games.
    Nintendont is more like an interpreter which runs Gamecube games natively.

Features currently supported by Nintendont:
    • Works on Wii and vWii on Wii U
    • Full speed loading from an USB device, or a SD card
    • Loads 1:1 and compressed .ISO disc images
    • Loads games as extracted files (FST)
    • Memory card emulation (global and per game)
    • HID controller support via USB
    • Custom button layout when using HID controllers
    • Multi-players support (1-4 players support with GameCube controllers, partial 1-2 players support with some HID multi-controllers adapters)
    • Cheat code support
    • WiiRd (only on Wii)
    • Changeable configuration of various settings
    • Reset/Exit via button combo (R+Z+Start for reset, R+Z+B+ D-Pad Down for Exit to loader)
    • Advanced video mode patching, force progressive and force 16:9 widescreen
    • Auto boot from loader
    • File caching for faster game loading
    • Play Triforce arcade games
    • Automatic Disc Swapping
    • Play audio via disc audio streaming, since v2.0 (v2.145)
    Features Nintendont doesn't support yet:
    • Bluetooth controller support (Wiimote, Wii U Pro, ..)
    • Multiplayer support with multiple USB ports
    • WiiU front USB ports support when loading game from USB
    • Allow use of the Nintendo GameCube Microphone
    • Use real memory card
    Features Nintendont will never have:
    • Play retail discs
    • Play backups from writable DVD media
    • Game Boy Player
    • GBA-link

What gamepads are working?

The following gamepads are known working:
    • Official Gamecube controller (on wii only)
    • Wavebird Gamecube controller (on Wii only?). You need to launch Nintendont from HBC with this controller already ON.
    • PS2 Dual shock
    • PS3 Dual shock/Sixaxis
    • PS4 Controller
    • Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510
    • Trio Linker v1 (GC, DC, PS)
    • Mayflash Wii Classic Controller to USB adapter for PC [PC052] (Multiplayer support!)
    • Mayflash Wii Classic Controller to USB Adapter [PC045] (Multiplayer support!)
    • Mayflash Wireless Wii U Pro Controller Adapter [W009] (Multiplayer support! L/R analog are not working because WiiU Pro lacks analog shoulder buttons)
    • Mayflash 3 in 1 Magic Joy Box adapter [PC035](only GameCube and PS/PS2 ports. The Xbox controller doesn't work).
    • Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick
    • and more...

The following gamepads are known NOT WORKING:
    • WiiU pro controller without an adapter
    • Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One controllers
    • Any controller not USB-HID compatible...
    • Mayflash GC Controller Adapter for PC [PC051]

You can find all the controller.ini files on this git repository, official nintendont repository or create your own controller.ini file.

Note: HID USB can be connected on the front port on WiiU only if you launch a game located on SD card.
    If you launch a game on USB, connect the USB cable on the back of your console.
    If you are using both ports on the back for Y-cable to give enough power to your HDD, you can disconnect the additional power port after the HDD started spinning, and connect your controller instead.

Note2: You can use only one HID-USB Compatible controller at a time. No multiplayer with HID.

Is my gamepad compatible?

If you have a specific controller you want to play with, you can test if it is compatible with this homebrew:

http://crediar.no-ip.com/HIDTestv4.rar
    The readme in this rar-file should explain everything.
    rename to boot.dol to launch the homebrew from HBC.

new versions:
    HID_Test v6
    changelog since r4

Use this guide to create your own controller.ini file.

Download
    The app is in early beta status and still in development. There are a lot of games not working, but you can try it by yourself.

Nintendont has been released in different forms:
    Alpha preview version
    Released version (NOT THE LATEST VERSION!)
    Open source version (here is the LATEST released version)

Install instructions

1-4: Download the latest released package and extract it to your /apps/ folder.
    or
    1. Create a Nintendont folder in your /apps/ folder (ex. SD:/apps/Nintendont)
    2. Download the meta.xml file and place it in the same folder.
    3. Download the loader.dol and rename it to boot.dol
    4. re/place the boot.dol into Nintendont folder.
    5. If you want to use a USB controller, select the correct controller file and rename it to "controller.ini". Place this file on the root of the device where your games are located.
    Attention: If you are hiding known file's extensions on Windows, name the file "controller" only, or it will end being named "controller.ini.ini".

To update the revision, repeat step 3 and 4.
    The meta.xml version will be generated and updated automatically when launching nintendont.

Is there a forwarder for Nintendont?

Wii : Link - made by Badablek.
    The forwarder looks for: apps/nintendont/boot.dol and apps/nintendont/Loader.dol

WiiU vWii : Link - made by JoostinOnline

Does it work with USBLoaders?
    Yes, Wiiflow, USBLoaderGX, CFG Loader and PostLoader support nintendont launching.

- Put the nintendont's boot.dol in the default nintendont folder.
    - Set Gamecube mode to nintendont in your preferred loader's settings
    - Don't forget to put controller.ini on the root and the memory card file to /saves/ folder on the device where your games are located.

Default nintendont folder used by USBLoaders:
    SD or USB:/apps/nintendont/boot.dol
    USBLoaderGX lets you specify a different path in the settings, or even a per game specific nintendont path.

Game folder
    The games require to be the same format and path than the one used by DIOS MIOS and DIOS MIOS Lite.
    Compatible format : Clean 1:1 ISO, compressed ISO, Extracted File System (FST Format), GCReEx, DiscEx.
    On USB, only the first partition of Port0 is mounted. It can be FAT32 with 32k/cluster or less. 512 or 4k drives are supported.

SD or USB1:/games/whatever you want/game.iso
    SD or USB1:/games/whatever you want/disc2.iso

The non-bold part need to be written exactly like you see it above (the filename is not the game's title, but the 4 letters "g+a+m+e")
    If a game has two discs, the second ISO needs to be placed in the same folder than the first disc's ISO, and named to "disc2.iso".
    Only the bold part "whatever you want" need to change.

For better compatibility with other loaders, you can put Game's Title and GameID in that part, like this :
    SD or USB1:/games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/game.iso
    SD or USB1:/games/Tales of Symphonia [GQSEAF]/game.iso
    SD or USB1:/games/Tales of Symphonia [GQSEAF]/disc2.iso

For users who still don't understand that "game" doesn't refer to the game's title but to the single word "game":
    /games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/Zelda.iso <--- WRONG :hateit:
    /games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/game.iso <--- Correct :D
    /games/Tales of Symphonia [GQSEAF]/disc2.iso <--- Correct :D
    /games/Tales of Symphonia [GQSEAF]/cache.txt <--- Correct :D

How do I swap discs with multi-disc games?
    The swap request is detected and done automatically by Nintendont.
    You need to use the ISO format (FST/Extracted file format doesn't work).

Place the two game iso files in the same folder and name the first ISO "game.iso" and the second one "disc2.iso".
    Be sure you are displaying the known file's extension on Windows, if you name it "disc2.iso.iso" it will not work.

Can I use Cheat codes?
    Yes, cheat codes are working on the Open source version (Not on the Alpha).
    To enable the cheat codes, you need to download kenobiwii.bin file and put it in your sneek folder from the device where your games are located, like this: SD:/sneek/kenobiwii.bin and USB:/sneek/kenobiwii.bin

Generate your cheat code file using your preferred method (USBloader, online, etc.)

If you launch Nintendont from the Homebrew Channel, put the .gct file in /games/GameID/GameID.gct
    if you launch from a loader, it will be loaded wherever the loader's default gct location is.

Then, enable Ocarina or Cheat option and launch the game.

Where are stored the savegames?
    Nintendont uses an individual memory card image per game.
    To generate and enable memory card emulation, enable "MC Emulation" in Nintendont options and choose the size of the memory card.
    The memory card will be created in /saves/<GameID>.raw located on the same partition than your game.

If you enable "multi" as memory card settings in Nintendont options, it will create a single memory card called ninmem.raw which lets you save multiple games on the same memory card file. Attention: do not save Japanese games on the same memory card than non-Japanese games.

The memory card emulation is not 100% stable and your memory card can be corrupted.
    If you care about your game progress, always make regular backups of your files!

If you card is corrupted, you can try these links:
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/gcn-memcard-recover.349406/
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/gamecube-memory-card-corrupt.367902/

How do I extract my Savegame from my memory card to use with Nintendont?
    You can use GCMM to extract the content of your real memory card.
    You can extract it as full Raw dump, or game by game in .gci format.

• Method1
    Rename the full memory card dump create by GCMM as <GameID of the game you want to play>.raw and put it in your /saves/ folder.
    If using this raw dump doesn't work, follow method2.

• Method2
    For this method, you need an existing memory card image created by Nintendont. Launch the game you want to play at least one time with "Memory Card Emulation" option enabled.
    Then use Dolphin emulator's Memory card manager to move the savegame you want from your GCMM raw dump or from a .gci file into the Nintendont memory card.

Can I convert savegames between DIOS MIOS and Nintendont?
    nmm to gci : nmm2gci v0.3 by Suloku
    gci to nmm : gci2nmm v0.1 by Crediar.

What is this cache.txt file used for?
    Cache.txt file lists few files from the game that nintendont will pre-load in RAM and keep them always in RAM in order to fasten the game loading speed.
    It can cache up to 28MB of data, or up to 220 files.
    It lists one file per line and can contains either the full path or only the filename.

If you don't provide a cache.txt, Nintendont attempt to build one in RAM automatically based on recurrent files access while playing.

Best performance is achieved by caching regularly accessed small files. Small files require multiple disk seeking in short time and is what slow down the game.
    Caching big files is not useful and will waste the available 22MB.
    Here is Crediar's example for SSBM.

You can request cache.txt files for your game here, and find already created files here.

I have an error, what does it mean, what should I do?
    There are few errors you could encounter.

• IOS58 is not the correct version on Wii!:
    It means you are using an outdated IOS58 on your Wii. Update it.
    IOS58_installer from Tantric doesn't install the correct and latest version.
    To update your IOS58, you need to find the correct file version. You can extract IOS58-64-v6176.wad from a game's disc (wiixplorer), a game's ISO (Wiiscrubber), or download it with modmii or NUSD.
    Install IOS58-64-v6176.wad using a wad manager which is NOT patching the IOS. If your HBC is upside down, reinstall the Wad using a different wad manager.

THIS IS NOT FOR vWII on WiiU !!!! NEVER INSTALL IOS58 MANUALLY ON YOUR WIIU!
    THIS IS ONLY AN ERROR ON OLD WII !

THE ISO58 ON WIIU IS ALREADY THE CORRECT VERSION...... DON'T TRY TO FIX SOMETHING IF IT'S NOT BROKEN!!!

• You need to disable AHB_PROT:
    You didn't correctly install nintendont. read the install section above.
    You need to copy the meta.xml in the same folder than nintendont. You also need the Homebrew Channel v1.0.7 or newer. Old version (HBC v1.0.6 and older) will not work.
    If you have a meta.xml, make sure that the tag <ahb_access/> is present in your meta.xml.
    The file should be created and updated automatically when launching nintendont.

If you are launching nintendont from an external loader (Wiiflow, USBLoaderGX, etc.) and encounter this error, you are not launching the loader correctly. Don't launch it from priiloader auto-boot menu, go to The Homebrew channel and be sure your loader has a correct meta.xml file with the <ahb_access/> tag.

• Error at launch when using caching features with cache.txt:
    Your drive is not fast enough. Try to format it with higher cluster size (64k/cluster), or use a faster hardware.

• Nintendont doesn't find my games:
    Rename the game filename to "game.iso".
    /games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/Zelda.iso <--- WRONG
    /games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/game.iso <--- Correct :D
    /games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/game.iso.iso <--- WRONG
    be sure to enable "display known file's extension" in Windows settings, it's a common problem with users having bad file name.

• Nintendont doesn't find my controller.ini file, but it's there!:
    You probably named the file "controller.ini.ini", because you are hiding known file's extension on Windows.
    Rename the file only "controller", or unhide the file extensions to see the real filename and keep only one extension, not two.

• Nintendont doesn't work anymore:
    Try to deleted your nincfg.bin file (though it shouldn't be needed, but users reported that it fixed some of their issues).

• Nintendont doesn't work with UStealth:
    To support Stealth drives, nintendont needs to be recompiled using a version of LibFAT with stealth support.
    You can also find an automated/untested (use at your own risk) re-build of nintendont with UStealth support here: http://homebrew.svalas.net/nintendont/

Nintendont wishlist and Suggestions
    current wishlist

Where can I find the sources?
    https://code.google.com/p/nintendon-t/

Is there a compatibility list?
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Nintendont_Compatibility_List

Is there a cache file repository?
    https://github.com/thedax/nintendont-gamecaches
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/looking-for-some-cache-txt-for-nintendont-ask-here.367712/

Useful links:

https://twitter.com/crediar
    http://www.youtube.com/user/crediar
    Last edited by Cyan, Aug 30, 2014 at 4:09 PM. Reason: removed r80 link
    Dartz150, Dondaa, Nic333 and 43 others like this.

MarcusRaven HBC Theme Maker

Message Count:
    United States
    I'm not entirely convinced, as that channel loaded awfully fast. Also, if Wii Remote and Classic Controller aren't supported, how exactly can you play? I don't understand how it can support a DualShock. (USB? Never personally seen that kind of thing, even with regular Wii developement.) Also, since the WiiU can support progressive scan for Wii software, why didn't Wind Waker ask for it?

But, on the strong possibility that I'm wrong and that my suspicions are nothing more than internet bitterness, this will be an interesting project to keep an eye on.

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

Message Count:
    United Kingdom

The Bluetooth is handled over the USB bus anyway.
    Crediar probably used the dualshock over USB because he didn't want to program bluetooth at the time.

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Message Count:
    India
    What's the reason for not supporting classic controller? Not being rude, just curious.

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Message Count:
    United States
    ^

The Classic Controller uses Bluetooth as well, so naturally, there should be no hardware limitation for this controller is a PS3 controller works. Nevertheless, I hope this comes to fruition and released publicly, just need a Y-cable for my HDD.

WARNING! Spoilers inside!
    Last edited by the_randomizer, Jun 10, 2013
    Ray Lewis likes this.

SifJar Not a pirate

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    There are a couple of homebrew apps that can use PS3 controllers ("libsickaxis" or something like that facilitates it). A few emulators, I think.
    My impression is that it will stay as USB, not bluetooth.
    Probably not enough space in RAM for a bluetooth stack or something (although it hasn't stopped tueidj, who has apparently got Wii Remotes working privately in Devolution). Or else there's something preventing the use of the regular bluetooth stack and a custom one would have to be written, which would be a lot of work.
    I have to wonder why it's taken him so long to abandon the custom MIOS of DM, if stuff like this is "much simpler" this way.

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Message Count:
    Argentina
    Life is a learning process. People get better at what they do each day if they are dedicated.
    SuzieJoeBob likes this.

Message Count:
    United Kingdom

I'm happy with there being no Classic Controller support, though if Devolution managed it it must be possible... But like you said, if RAM space is an issue for the regular stack, it'd take too much work.
    _47iscool, filfat and SifJar like this.

WatchGintama Listen to my name

Message Count:
    United States

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Message Count:
    United States
    I assume this is going to be like devolution right and not a MIOS replacement? I doubt there's going to be any AP because the Wii U can't read GC games.

tmv_josue New Member

Message Count:
    Mexico
    Is "much simpler" reproduce the audio streaming in this way, not the program itself, afaik is "much simpler" DM(L), but the audio streaming with it is really dificult.

Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Another Nintendo problem fixed by Crediar :bow:

The "long analogue" L & R triggers of a GameCube controller are not found on any other, so lets hope we can get wavebirds working (through a USB adapter) working for the perfect solution.

SifJar Not a pirate

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    The product description says "no driver needed" which implies it has a standard HID interface (basically, it appears as a "generic" input device), so it's certainly possible it could work. I guess if anyone happens to have one of these they could test it with the HID test apps linked in the first post.

Yes, it is (probably/almost certainly) like Devolution. (See "What is Nintendon't?" section in first post). crediar's previous work of this type [DM(L)] didn't have AP, I doubt he'd add it now (although I think he did originally plan to have it in DM, but decided against it).
    Ray Lewis likes this.
  1. Rydian
    This message by Rydian has been removed from public view by Rydian, Jun 11, 2013, Reason: Nevermind, works!.
    Jun 11, 2013
    • Newcomer

tribloke New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    I've got a Gamecube to USB I used with dolphin (just like the one above). It has a the force back too working. I'm waiting for a copy of Wii Indy Jones to exploit my wii u. Hopefully I get to try it out this weekend and will report back.

matthi321 New Member

Message Count:
    Denmark

will audio streaming also be supported on the wii?

sion_zaphod Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    I don't get what he means by "yes but would require an extra build for each Wii U and normal Wii.". Does that mean that every wii and wiiu/vwii on the planet will require a different build? The only reason I can see for that kind of behaviour is AP. Am I reading that wrong does it just mean one version for wii's and another for vwii's? Read the sentence again does it make sense?
    Last edited by sion_zaphod, Jun 12, 2013

Message Count:
    United Kingdom

I'm assuming a comma was omitted between "each" and "Wii U". This was a tweet, brevity is of the essence :3

sion_zaphod Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Seems like a lot of effort to go to (different build for every wii/vwii) otherwise :(

tmv_josue New Member

Message Count:
    Mexico
    He is talking about one version for Wii and another for vWii (2 versions).
    Is very likely that now he merge the SD and USB functionality in one version.

smf New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    He only has the PS3 controller working via USB not Bluetooth. If you can get a classic controller to USB HID interface then it should work.

Crediar doesn't seem interested in adding Bluetooth, you could try motivating him with cash but don't be surprised if he still doesn't do it.

SPONSORED LINKS