Hardware Please help pick best options for new game laptop!

Is this good?

• Total voters

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did you ask customer service if you can go without a Hard drive? The 1tb HDD is in the included price but if you get a solid state instead they remove $50. It's not take out the hard drive to save $50 period.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you ask customer service if you can go without a Hard drive? The 1tb HDD is in the included price but if you get a solid state instead they remove $50. It's not take out the hard drive to save $50 period.
Yes, i know, i can get the system without any storage devices installed and can do it myself. From the current situation i can get the SSD installed and not get a HDD, (I wasn't getting one anyway cause it was only 5400RPM not 7200RPM, i had intended to find one myself for this reason)

Also the HDD is not included, it will cost $50, removing it will remove $50.

Anyway basically the most i can get away with is $1120 for 16GB ram, 250GB SSD by western digital, and everyone here telling me to just download a OS instead of pre installed AKA PIRACY. So does that sound good enough? :P

I'll have to find like a $50 1TB 7200RPM HDD and install myself sometime.

Though i'm not sure but someone said the samsung SSD are better than western digital, wonder how much?

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer ATI Radeon. Cheaper.

Get an ASUS mobo. Maybe MSI if you want a workhorse.

The CPU is good. Always Intel. Never AMD.

Max out memory. Try not to buy heatsinked RAM. Then you can add LC modules to RAM. RAM gets more expensive in time. So buy it while it's hot.

Spend more on mobo, CPU, and memory. Then worry about splurging on a GPU. GRFX cards should always be last. Avoid latest/greatest. Waste of $$$. Same goes for CPUs. Just because it's priced @ $2K doesn't mean in three years it'll be a quarter of the price.

I personally despise NVIDIA. Oh, yeah... pretty... they work.. and they love to melt.

BUILD IT YOURSELF!!!

Don't waste $$$ on SSDs. Just get 7200rpm 32mb cache HDDs. Heck, the laptop drives are fine. Cheaper.
Then LC the damn thing when you get more $$$. Or upgrade when 1TB SSDs drop in price. Otherwise, RAID your TBs. Save money. Never worry about backup.

Oh, and an APC battery backup unit wouldn't hurt. No fun to build/buy and then watch fry. Always APC backup. Brown-outs are your enemy.

As for case... NZXT Noctis 450 ROG. Start with a nice tower. Then max out your hardware.

https://www.nzxt.com/products/noctis-450-rog

Although, I'd personally prefer the Phantom 820. More room. Pre-LED lit. Room=good when LCing.

https://www.nzxt.com/products/phantom-820-white

And for the love of god, please at least buy a modulated 1100+ PSM. No need to have molex cables cluttering up your tower. I see more nerds fry their monster rigs with loose and sloppy cables. Don't do it.

---End PC build rant---

No, I lied... GOOD LUCK!!! ;)

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
00085fr6.gif~c200

N/M. This was for a laptop... bye bye $1k. Was nice knowing you...

Last edited by Osmosis,

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
00085fr6.gif~c200

N/M. This was for a laptop... bye bye $1k. Was nice knowing you...
Do you mean he made a mistake buying a gaming laptop? I'm sure he's aware that he could've build a i5 7600+nvidia 1060 or even 1070 desktop, but he bought a great laptop at the end for it's price.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, i maybe forgot to mention, i finally got the laptop, i'm glad to know it works well for the most part, but now i need a HDD to compensate for this 250GB SSD

So i need to find one that is 1TB SATA III (6GB/s) 2.5" 7200 RPM with 128 Cache and is not expensive. Maybe less than $60. If anyone has suggestions, i think the brand is probably the most important factor here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended