Hardware Please help pick best options for new game laptop!

Is this good?

• Total voters

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8GB was the sweet spot 5 years ago. It should suffice but real soon games will recommend more RAM for better gameplay/performance. I think spending 75$ extra now is better than spending $120 more in the future when you may want to upgrade.

As for the SSD I would go for the western Digital one. It will still get you really fast load/boot times. I'm not saying the Samsung is not worth it. It's just better to cut costs there and put it towards the RAM.
Why would 16GB ram cost that much if it already is offered for about 85% less? Is not like your buying 2. There is already one there, so another adding one more wouldn't cost over 100 :P

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Having 16GB ram, and the SSD makes it add up to $1119. :blink:

Reminder, i still have no OS installed.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Why would 16GB ram cost that much if it already is offered for about 85% less? Is not like your buying 2. There is already one there, so another adding one more wouldn't cost over 100 :P

Because if you want to have dual channel RAM they need to be paired in a kit. 16GB (2x8GB) 2400mhz DDR4 cost around $120 give or take. If you have one slot with 8GB and another empty you will run in single channel mode and if you add another RAM stick you can run into compatibility issues, if the timings are different you may only run single channel mode. It's why you usually buy RAM sticks in 1's 2's and 4's. Single channel, dual channel and quad channel dependinh on what your motherboard and CPU support. I'd say get 2 x 8GB sticks because you won't ever need more than that for the laptop.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, I generally don't use them on my lap, usually on hard surface.
I do have this cooler I bought back in the days when I bought one of these antiquated Laptop:
notepal_frontside_b.jpg

Mine is Black
images

This was not meant to be used on your lap. It weights over 15lbs and has two DVD burners, HDD, etc.

For $75 more, you should go for the 16GB option. They should use a pair of 8GB sticks.

I would still suggest one or a means ot propping it up to allow for airflow underneath, just saying.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So based on what has been said here, the most i can get away with spending on this thing is $1119 for including 16GB ram, 250GB SSD by western, no HDD Which i will buy myself cause they didn't offer one with 7200RPM and no OS pre installed. So if anyone has comments to share about this, which once again NO OPERATING SYSTEM, means even if i did buy it i can't use it instantly. :blink:

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I personally like a pc system without o.s pre-installed, unless they offer the same price on the internet for like 25 euros. Otherwise, I can install it myself as there's iso available on microsoft website.

As for the ram, most games use 8 gb. I think you could add 1 in the future, they are expensive now.

Reactions: Deleted User

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally like a pc system without o.s pre-installed, unless they offer the same price on the internet for like 25 euros. Otherwise, I can install it myself as there's iso available on microsoft website.

As for the ram, most games use 8 gb. I think you could add 1 in the future, they are expensive now.
Well wouldn't i have to pay for the OS regardless if is pre installed or i do it myself? :wtf:

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You said there's no OS, which probably means you have to install it by yourself i guess and buy the key.
Yes, cause there is a option have windows 10 pre installed before shipping to buyer, it cost $70 for it. Windows 10 Home 64 bit. I was told i can install operating systems myself by accessing bios to boot usb option, so either way i have to pay for one. Unless there is a cheaper place to buy that os or something. :unsure:

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes, cause there is a option have windows 10 pre installed before shipping to buyer, it cost $70 for it. Windows 10 Home 64 bit. I was told i can install operating systems myself by accessing bios to boot usb option, so either way i have to pay for one. Unless there is a cheaper place to buy that os or something. :unsure:
It's easy to install but then you need to find a key, there are legit websites that sell for 25 euro oem. If you don't feel like by doing it yourself then go for the 70$ pre-installed.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's easy to install but then you need to find a key, there are legit websites that sell for 25 euro oem. If you don't feel like by doing it yourself then go for the 70$ pre-installed.
Unless there is a cheaper place to buy that os or something.
I don't have a problem with doing it myself, is the price i'm concerned about.:mellow:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on