ROG Ally launch date confirmed alongside specs and UK pricing

ally.jpg

Following the limited information released in April, we now have full details of the ROG Ally, including retail price, release date, and a full specs sheet. Boasting twice the power of Valve's ever-popular Steam Deck, ASUS aim to take on the giants, and given recent buzz, they might just have a chance.

The ROG Ally is set to launch in the UK June 13th for £699, with pre-orders going live via the ASUS ROG store today, and Currys May 16th. There will be two variants available eventually, with the Ryzan Z1 Extreme being available on the given dates, and a weaker base Z1 model following. The Z1 Extreme packs 8 cores and 16 threads, while the base Z1 will feature 6 cores and 12 processing threads. Both models are set to support AMD's Super Resolution upscaling technologies to boost graphical quality in more demanding titles.

xg.jpg

Alongside the ROG Ally, the ROG XG Mobile external GPUs are being sold separately for the first time. This is something I previously talked about when looking at ROG's Z13 tablet, and it's good to see these more accessible to consumers outside of more expensive bundles. Announced to release are two variants, one packing Nvidia's latest and most powerful laptop-grade GPU in the RTX 4090, and the other being last generation's RX 6850M XT from AMD. These will retail for £2199 and £699 respectively, and allow you to dock your ROG Ally better graphical performance, putting the system closer to a gaming laptop when plugged in.

An odd note from the specs sheet is that the triggers of the Ally will feature Hall Effect sensors, while the analogue sticks notably will not. For those interested, you can find a full breakdown of the specs below:

Model: ROG Ally
Operating System: Windows 11 Home

Processor —
AMD Ryzen™ Z1 Extreme Processor
CPU: Zen 4 architecture, 8-core /16-threads, 24MB total cache ,up
to 5.10Ghz boost
GPU: 12 RDNA3 CUs, up to 2.7GHz, 8.6 TFLOP, default 4GB RAM
capacity
APU Power: 9-30W

Display —
7-inch
FHD (1920 x 1080) 16:9
IPS-level
glossy display
500 nits peak brightness
sRGB:100%
Gorilla® Glass Victus™
Gorilla® Glass DXC
Touch Screen (10-point multi-touch)
Refresh Rate:120Hz
Response Time:7ms
Support Dolby Vision HDR
AMD FreeSync™ Premium

Memory: 16GB LPDDR5 on board (6400MT/s dual channel)
Storage: 512GB PCIe® 4.0 NVMe™ M.2 SSD (2230)

I/O Ports —
1 x 3.5mm Combo Audio Jack
1 x ROG XG Mobile Interface and USB Type-C combo port (with
USB 3.2 Gen2, supports DisplayPort™ 1.4)
1 x UHS-II microSD card reader (supports SD, SDXC and SDHC)

Control and Input —
Gamepad controls:
A B X Y buttons
D-pad
L & R Hall Effect analog triggers
L & R bumpers
View button
Menu button
Command Center button
Armoury Crate button
2 x assignable grip buttons
Thumbsticks: 2 x full-size analog sticks with capacitive touch
Haptics: HD haptics
Gyro: 6-Axis IMU

Audio —
AI noise-canceling technology
Dolby Atmos
Hi-Res certification
Built-in array microphone
2-speaker system with Smart Amplifier Technology

Network and Communication —
Triple band Wi-Fi 6E (802.11ax) 2 x 2
Bluetooth 5.2 1

Battery: 40WHrs

Power Supply —
65W USB Type-C PD 3.0 power supply
Adapter: 65W AC Adapter, Output: 20V DC, 3.25A, 65W, Input:
100~240V AC 50/60Hz universal

AURA SYNC: Yes
Weight: ~608g (1.34 lbs)
Dimensions (W x D x H): 28.0 x 11.1 x 2.12 ~ 3.24 cm (11.02" x 4.37" x 0.83" ~ 1.27")
Xbox Game Pass: 3 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate included 2

Security —
Built-in Fingerprint Sensor
Microsoft Pluton security processor

If you're interested in pre-ordering the ROG Ally or want to know more, you can also find the product page from both Currys and ASUS below:

:arrow: ASUS ROG UK Store (Pre Orders Live)
:arrow: Currys UK Store (Register Interest, Pre Orders Live May 16th)

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It seems to me they've done a good job here, and the price isn't crazy either. It's mostly a solid upgrade over the Steam Deck for a lot of games.

Unfortunately, they went the no track pad route which is too big a loss for me.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It seems to me they've done a good job here, and the price isn't crazy either. It's mostly a solid upgrade over the Steam Deck for a lot of games.
Yes and no. According to Linus' review, Deck outperforms Ally at 10 watts, Ally outperforms Deck by 15% to 20% at 15 watts. Naturally it outperforms Deck by a lot at higher power draws, but at that point you might as well be using it as a desktop. Ally's colors are better, Deck's screen however can get both brighter and dimmer. Overall he recommends Ally but mentions that the face buttons start sticking pretty quickly out of the box, and ASUS has said nothing about parts/repairs. Not sure how those things aren't dealbreakers frankly, they would be for me.

Unfortunately, they went the no track pad route which is too big a loss for me.
Yeah joystick to mouse is pretty rough, and the ASUS software doesn't seem to do anything to make navigating Windows on a touch screen less of a PITA. Pulling up and using the keyboard seems particularly aggravating. The screen is nice and all, but there are a whole lot of other drawbacks. Best to wait for a true gen 2 IMHO.

Oh, and "play ALL your games" is kind of a disingenuous tagline when some games are nigh impossible to play without a mouse equivalent. :P

Last edited by Xzi,

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
I think I would rather have coffin nails hammered under my fingernails than have to deal with Linux on a portable device ever again. I’ve had many portable devices over the years, running anything from Symbian all the way to Android and iOS and the best experience I’ve ever had, and likely will ever have, was on Windows CE, or more specifically, WinMo 5. Nothing else comes even close and it will be sorely missed by people who actually like to “do things” on their mobile device. Still exists in dedicated mobile doo-dads, mostly in the retail sector, but there are no consumer devices to speak of. WinNT with the tablet wrapper will do nicely instead.
I'm guessing you've never actually used a steam deck then? Valve put literal years into making Linux exactly they wanted it to be and the experience is flawless. You got Steam Big Picture running as the main compositor, a UI perfectly tailored to the device, the ability to add external apps and launch them from Steam and an immutable filesystem so users cannot actually destroy anything on the device without really trying.

They were able to build their own UI entirely from scratch to exactly fit their device and unlike on Windows, BPM is not simply a full screen application, it is a full desktop composition engine that runs natively meaning Valve can hit performance markers that would be impossible on Windows since that will ALWAYS have Windows running in the background. On a Steam Deck SteamOS is the operating system, mostly built on top of KDE however when its running is BPM it has full control over the device, it handles memory, CPU & GPU operations, swapping, boosting, throttling & thermal control.

Also when I say handheld I don't mean phone/tablet, I mean Switch-like devices, Steam Deck, AyaNeo and the other one whose name escapes me. Both AyaNeo and the other popular one are both working on their own versions of SteamOS simply because Windows is to restrictive as a platform. Lets say in 2 years MS decide to pull the plug on something that these devices rely on, what exactly can they do about it? This problem is one of the core tenants of FOSS, you're never reliant on upstream for your project, if upstream makes a change you don't like you simply fork and carry on building from the old code base or go full nuclear and do what System76 and Valve both did, create your own environment that you are in control of.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm guessing you've never actually used a steam deck then? Valve put literal years into making Linux exactly they wanted it to be and the experience is flawless. You got Steam Big Picture running as the main compositor, a UI perfectly tailored to the device, the ability to add external apps and launch them from Steam and an immutable filesystem so users cannot actually destroy anything on the device without really trying.

They were able to build their own UI entirely from scratch to exactly fit their device and unlike on Windows, BPM is not simply a full screen application, it is a full desktop composition engine that runs natively meaning Valve can hit performance markers that would be impossible on Windows since that will ALWAYS have Windows running in the background. On a Steam Deck SteamOS is the operating system, mostly built on top of KDE however when its running is BPM it has full control over the device, it handles memory, CPU & GPU operations, swapping, boosting, throttling & thermal control.

Also when I say handheld I don't mean phone/tablet, I mean Switch-like devices, Steam Deck, AyaNeo and the other one whose name escapes me. Both AyaNeo and the other popular one are both working on their own versions of SteamOS simply because Windows is to restrictive as a platform. Lets say in 2 years MS decide to pull the plug on something that these devices rely on, what exactly can they do about it? This problem is one of the core tenants of FOSS, you're never reliant on upstream for your project, if upstream makes a change you don't like you simply fork and carry on building from the old code base or go full nuclear and do what System76 and Valve both did, create your own environment that you are in control of.
Oh, I’m quite aware - I still prefer a Windows environment. Sorry, I just do. The Steam Deck looks like a mighty fine and a well-engineered product, but given the choice between Linux and Windows, all else being equal (driver support and whatnot), I will pick Windows 10 out 10 times. In fact, if I could simply not run Steam at all, or any other launcher doo-dad, to get to the shit I own, I absolutely would. I already have a convenient list of all my installed programs that I care about - it’s called the Start menu. I also have some dedicated space for shortcuts, I call it “the desktop”.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I’m quite aware - I still prefer a Windows environment. Sorry, I just do. The Steam Deck looks like a mighty fine and a well-engineered product, but given the choice between Linux and Windows, all else being equal (driver support and whatnot), I will pick Windows 10 out 10 times. In fact, if I could simply not run Steam at all, or any other launcher doo-dad, to get to the shit I own, I absolutely would. I already have a convenient list of all my installed programs that I care about - it’s called the Start menu. I also have some dedicated space for shortcuts, I call it “the desktop”.
Oh you spoiled whippersnappers, what with your fancy "graphical" user interfaces and instant-access shortcuts. Back in my day, we'd install a game over the span of two days from thirty different floppy disks, just for it to tell us our sound card was incompatible after the fact, and we LIKED it! Who needs new-fangled electricity for that matter, good ol' chisel and stone tablet renders at a perfectly playable one-hundredth of a frame per second. /s

:P

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh you spoiled whippersnappers, what with your fancy "graphical" user interfaces and instant-access shortcuts. Back in my day, we'd install a game over the span of two days from thirty different floppy disks, just for it to tell us our sound card was incompatible after the fact, and we LIKED it! Who needs new-fangled electricity for that matter, good ol' chisel and stone tablet renders at a perfectly playable one-hundredth of a frame per second. /s

:P
You have to open a whole separate storefront and run it in the background at all times to play a video game - back in “my day” I just double-clicked an icon. We literally went a step backwards in terms of UI, I don’t know what’s there to brag about. I’m saying this without a hint of sarcasm - launchers suck ass.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You have to open a whole separate storefront and run it in the background at all times to play a video game - back in “my day” I just double-clicked an icon. We literally went a step backwards in terms of UI, I don’t know what’s there to brag about. I’m saying this without a hint of sarcasm - launchers suck ass.
I can agree to an extent, but the reasons people like Steam are one: because it's constantly being updated and improved, and two: because it saved us from all the other half-assed launchers and spaghetti code DRM. In the early 2000s every single PC game (even single-player) came with its OWN damn launcher, so double-clicking the shortcut would rarely take you straight into the game. The timeline in which that trend continued is much darker than this one, and I very much doubt that MS or Sony would've come back around to focusing on PC releases as a result.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I can agree to an extent, but the reasons people like Steam are one: because it's constantly being updated and improved, and two: because it saved us from all the other half-assed launchers and spaghetti code DRM. In the early 2000s every single PC game (even single-player) came with its OWN damn launcher, so double-clicking the shortcut would rarely take you straight into the game. The timeline in which that trend continued is much darker than this one, and I very much doubt that MS or Sony would've come back around to focusing on PC releases as a result.
Oh, this problem is alien to me since I always just linked to the main executable, so I saw the launcher once - on first boot, and that’s if I saw it at all. That’s neither here nor there though, Steam’s a fine storefront, probably the best out of the lot, but realistically you need to run several launchers from several storefronts in the background at all times these days if you want to cover the gamut of publishers out there, when that number should be zero unless you choose to run them. I’ll stick to my desktop, thanks. If a game requires me to run a dumbass client and it’s *not* because it’s some kind of always online shabam that actually needs it to function, I’m cracking the fuck out of it. “I click on the thing and it goes brrr” is the only acceptable user experience because we’re not running Commodore 64’s - I shouldn’t need a special loader to launch shit that’s on my computer already.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It most definitely did NOT save us from the other launchers. It just prolonged the leeches from finding a way to incorporate their bullshit into Steam and create further inconvenience and inconsistency. Why the everloving hell do I need to log in to multiple, separate accounts to play games?

Don’t even get me started on DRM…

The convenience factor is diminishing, and quickly. I agree with Foxi here, I miss the days of just launching the game and not needing something running the background at ALL TIMES just because they want me to prove that I have the privilege of playing the game.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It most definitely did NOT save us from the other launchers. It just prolonged the leeches from finding a way to incorporate their bullshit into Steam and create further inconvenience and inconsistency. Why the everloving hell do I need to log in to multiple, separate accounts to play games?

Don’t even get me started on DRM…

The convenience factor is diminishing, and quickly. I agree with Foxi here, I miss the days of just launching the game and not needing something running the background at ALL TIMES just because they want me to prove that I have the privilege of playing the game.
Yeah, but without Steam running all the time how will you know that you got a super duper amazing achievement? :lol:

Reactions: Kioku

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That’s neither here nor there though, Steam’s a fine storefront, probably the best out of the lot, but realistically you need to run several launchers from several storefronts in the background at all times these days if you want to cover the gamut of publishers out there
Ehh Epic is the only real holdout left now, everybody else eventually came crawling back because that's obviously where the customer base is. Steam is run on startup for me and I haven't wanted nor needed to touch another launcher on PC for years, aside from emulators.

“I click on the thing and it goes brrr” is the only acceptable user experience because we’re not running Commodore 64’s - I shouldn’t need a special loader to launch shit that’s on my computer already.
As much as I enjoyed some parts of the classic era of PC gaming, I'm simply being objective about others. The process was never truly that seamless, we just got used to it. I can't for the life of me imagine manually applying updates and then a no-CD crack to each of my thousands of Steam games. Not to mention going back to the days of not having universal controller support.

Why the everloving hell do I need to log in to multiple, separate accounts to play games?
Because too many publishers skew more toward EA than Valve on the greedy/stupid alignment chart. That wouldn't be any different if Steam didn't exist, those shitty publishers would simply have a lot more influence over the PC gaming space.

The convenience factor is diminishing, and quickly.
It doesn't really work that way. Steam has always been exponentially more convenient and feature-rich than the alternatives we've been presented with over the decades, and that's what enabled it to grow as large as it has. Double-clicking a game in your library is no more difficult than double-clicking a shortcut on your desktop.

I agree with Foxi here, I miss the days of just launching the game and not needing something running the background at ALL TIMES just because they want me to prove that I have the privilege of playing the game.
Again I hate to rain on the parade here, but there is no timeline in which developers/publishers simply give the users absolute freedom. Not under capitalism, anyway. As high-speed internet began to become more prevalent and therefore made piracy more convenient, they were always going to push for more intrusive DRM. To the extent that some of it was actually capable of bricking your PC.

If something is going to be running itself in the background at all, it's undeniably preferable that it makes itself known and enhances the user experience. Otherwise it's just malware.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Ehh Epic is the only real holdout left now, everybody else eventually came crawling back because that's obviously where the customer base is. Steam is run on startup for me and I haven't wanted nor needed to touch another launcher on PC for years, aside from emulators.

As much as I enjoyed some parts of the classic era of PC gaming, I'm simply being objective about others. The process was never truly that seamless, we just got used to it. I can't for the life of me imagine manually applying updates and then a no-CD crack to each of my thousands of Steam games. Not to mention going back to the days of not having universal controller support.

Because too many publishers skew more toward EA than Valve on the greedy/stupid alignment chart. That wouldn't be any different if Steam didn't exist, those shitty publishers would simply have a lot more influence over the PC gaming space.

It doesn't really work that way. Steam has always been exponentially more convenient than the alternatives we've been presented with over the decades, and that's what enabled it to grow as large as it has.

Again I hate to rain on the parade here, but there is no timeline in which developers/publishers simply give the users absolute freedom. Not under capitalism, anyway. As high-speed internet began to become more prevalent and therefore made piracy more convenient, they were always going to push for more intrusive DRM. To the extent that some of it was actually capable of bricking your PC.

If something is going to be running itself in the background at all, it's undeniably preferable that it makes itself known and enhances the user experience. Otherwise it's just malware.

None of this changes how I feel about what we're forced to do.

..and yes, being forced to login to multiple accounts/launchers is taking away convenience.

Also, that last bit is irrelevant.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Apologies, it's the UK PR team I'm in contact with so it's the UK press releases I have handy. I'm fairly sure it is coming to the US around the same time, and I think it's slightly cheaper in the US ($699 I think, which works out £140 cheaper holy wow conversion rates hit the UK again).

Don’t forget, the US doesn’t use VAT but instead sales tax which is added at the time of sale.

$699*120%=$838.80 (or £673.84 via Google as of posting). So about £25 in the difference with UK VAT applied.

Reactions: Scarlet

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don’t forget, the US doesn’t use VAT but instead sales tax which is added at the time of sale.

$699*120%=$838.80 (or £673.84 via Google as of posting). So about £25 in the difference with UK VAT applied.
Ahh that is interesting. Is it done that way so items have a base price, and states can individually decide how much the sales tax should be? I do remember reading something about people setting their 3DS region to a certain state to avoid paying tax.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
..and yes, being forced to login to multiple accounts/launchers is taking away convenience.
I don't disagree, and that's precisely why we'd be so much worse off without Valve/Steam's influence on the industry. Every single game would have its own launcher/DRM, and every single publisher would have its own account system (not just some of the AAA ones). Shit sucks, but it could always be worse. Alternately, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't disagree, and that's precisely why we'd be so much worse off without Valve/Steam's influence on the industry. Every single game would have its own launcher/DRM, and every single publisher would have its own account system (not just some of the AAA ones). Shit sucks, but it could always be worse. Alternately, the grass is always greener on the other side.
The reason why the launcher is always running and you have to use it to launch games is to upsell. There is nothing Steam does that it couldn’t do if it ran exclusively as a system service with hotkey interrupts. Even “universal controller support” is something that should be embedded in the OS, not handled by Steam. It imposes arbitrary limitations and complicates something that used to be simple - you can “deny the timeline” all day long, I’ve lived through it lol. Operation “Crack Everything” is-a-go, reclaim the desktop.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This seems to be the perfect opportunity to add my personal reason for disliking this Steam timeline... it caused the death of those beautiful big box PC releases. I have zero interest in compiling a digital library of thousands of games.. give me my big boxes and associated paraphernalia back!

Reactions: Foxi4 and Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?