Nvidia suffers from hack, confidential company data leaked online

nvidia-768x432.jpg

The latest victim of a major ransomware attack appears to be Nvidia, as the tech giant confirmed that had been hacked. A group called LAPSUS$ took credit for hacking the company, claiming that they had accessed 1TB of sensitive and confidential information, with the intent to leak it to the public. According to initial reports, Nvidia had been hit with a ransomware attack, though an official statement from the company itself claims that it had been a security breach instead. Nvidia says it, "does not anticipate any disruption to our business or our ability to serve our customers as a result of the incident." despite leaks beginning to circulate online.

LAPSUS$ began to make demands saying they would refrain from posting more of the leak online if Nvidia followed their orders, which include making their GPU drivers open-source. The hacking group said the company has until Friday, March 4th to meet their requirements, otherwise, they will post "the complete silicon, graphics, ad computer chipset files for all recent Nvidia GPUs, including the RTX 3090 TI, and upcoming revisions".

hackersknownas4chan.png

As for what the hackers have already posted online in order to force Nvidia's hand, it seems like files relating to their exclusive Deep Learning Super Sampling 2.2 AI technology have been leaked. According to those who have gone through the leak, there are also files regarding an "NVN2", a possible successor to the NVN API used in the Nintendo Switch. While there is nothing concrete in the data, it has gotten online discourse about the theoretical Switch Pro brewing again once more.

Der_Blockbuster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
this was literally miners who hacked them

they had a cry cause nvidia made LHR cards

miners deserve the rope
I think they are right. What if you want to mine on your graphics card. One day they will disable resolutions so you have to buy the 4K DLC to "unlock the power"

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think they are right. What if you want to mine on your graphics card. One day they will disable resolutions so you have to buy the 4K DLC to "unlock the power"
As nobody has yet to convince me 4k is any good for games outside of limited RTS perks for seeing more of the map and long range sniping, neither of which anybody seems to want to give me, then I am OK with that.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
As nobody has yet to convince me 4k is any good for games outside of limited RTS perks for seeing more of the map and long range sniping, neither of which anybody seems to want to give me, then I am OK with that.
I can barely notice a difference between 4k and 1440p on a 4k display.

1080p looks blurry. 1440p notciable improvement in sharpness. 4k diminishing returns.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So they and their crypto bros can legally review the code, see the hash limiters and other anti mining measures in place for consumer level gaming cards, have an easier time counteracting it, and buy up all the cards meant for gaming for their earth killing mining rigs.
I assumed it was baked into the silicon.

Elodain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they are right. What if you want to mine on your graphics card.
And what if I want to buy a gaming GPU to play games with?

any Crypto mining measures are necessary in cards meant for the gaming community so that...well...GAMERS are the one getting the cards.

You want to mine, buy a mining grade GPU, or one of those special ASIC things. If you think you're gonna be the next successful cryptobro the investment is worth the steep price right?

As I said before, removing the limitations in gaming cards will successfully cut out the intended consumer of that grade of card because dickhead miners will use bots and shit to buy everything.

Miners can keep crying.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And what if I want to buy a gaming GPU to play games with?

any Crypto mining measures are necessary in cards meant for the gaming community so that...well...GAMERS are the one getting the cards.

You want to mine, buy a mining grade GPU, or one of those special ASIC things. If you think you're gonna be the next successful cryptobro the investment is worth the steep price right?

As I said before, removing the limitations in gaming cards will successfully cut out the intended consumer of that grade of card because dickhead miners will use bots and shit to buy everything.

Miners can keep crying.
How would you reconcile "your device, your rules", aka the general approach of this site and those like it, with such a stance?
Also is it a problem of the miners or Nvidia's problem for not making enough?

Reactions: Der_Blockbuster

Elodain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would you reconcile "your device, your rules", aka the general approach of this site and those like it, with such a stance?
Also is it a problem of the miners or Nvidia's problem for not making enough?
I'll reconcile it as such:

I hack my game consoles because I enjoy the process and the gaming related benefits it affords me. Homebrew, mods and cheats, emulation to consolidate multiple systems into one device, etc. Hacking a game console, to me at the very least, enhances the gaming experience, and any further possibilities it opens up, such as converting your PS4 into a linux powered computer, is an interesting but otherwise unrelated bonus. Not once have I thought "Oh man. I think I'm gonna buy every PS4 in a 500 mile radius of my house and hack them all to burn insane amounts of electricity so I can make $20 in bitcoin, possibly destroying all the consoles in the process!"

Removing Rash Rate Limitations and other things specifically intended to discourage Crypto Mining on cards meant for gaming goes nothing that I can think of to benefit gaming. It only benefits Miners who don't want to pay the extra cost for the cards purpose built for mining, or cant get them because other miners bought them all with bots.

If there weren't a not insignificant amount of assholes out and about that would use every dirty trick in the book to get ahold of as many GPU's as possible to add to their Mining Farms, it wouldn't be such a big deal. But if Nvidia complied with these hackers and removed the limitations, or made everything open so the miners can do it themselves, gamers would never get another card until the cards are on their last legs, and were likely abused to no end, and that's if they're lucky.

It's absolutely the problem of the miners that they don't have enough cheap graphics cards. Nvidia sells cards for Mining. It's not their problem if miners don't want to pay the extra price. and if the mining cards aren't readily available, it's because other miners beat them to the punch with their bots, which also isn't Nvidia's problem. It shouldn't be our problem as gamers either.

I'm not against "My Device, My Rules" obviously, I'm a member of this forum too and have been hacking my consoles since I got the OG Wii in 2008. But I most certainly AM against people abusing the concept in a way that more or less ruins things for everyone else. My main concern in this is to keep gaming grade cards in the hands of people that plan to actually use it for that, gaming, and off a rack in some small room being killed by heat and wasted by some jerk off who refuses to play fair.

Last edited by Elodain,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think