Microsoft hacked by Russian group, gaining access to source code repositories

Microsoft.png

Back in January 19th, Microsoft posted an entry in their blog about the company detecting a "nation-state attack" on January 12th that affected several of their systems. Back in January, Microsoft worked on mitigating, disrupting and investigating the attack, which according to Microsoft's investigations, led to the threat actor being Midnight Blizzard, a Russian state-sponsor actor that also goes by the name of NOBELIUM.

According to their initial blog post, the way in which the attackers gained access to Microsoft's systems was through a password spray attack, then gaining access to a portion of corporate Microsoft email accounts, but back then they assessed that the attack didn't show evidence of any stolen assets or data, but unfortunately for them, an update on the situation states the opposite.

In a new blog post just released minutes ago, Microsoft has stated that, with the elevated access they gain during the hack, the attackers accessed Microsoft's source code repositories and internal systems, with Microsoft claiming that one of the potential goals is to use the company's secrets, to which some of these have been shared with some of Microsoft's customers via email.

Additionally, Microsoft mentions that Midnight Blizzard's attacks seems to have increased during February, and that they will continue to work on mitigating and investigating the attacking activities.

:arrow: Source

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Praying for a Windows 11 source code leak so we can get customized stuff
Edit: Also, please do the same to Nintendo
Please Russia fuk Nintendo so hard they cry over it.
Or better yet, have Russia host a GitHub counterpart where DMCA has no ruling due to Russia's legality on piracy :tpi:

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not much of a surprise considering they made that shit OS called Windows 11 and 12 is probably even worse.

M$ is really slacking.
Post automatically merged:

Praying for a Windows 11 source code leak so we can get customized stuff
Edit: Also, please do the same to Nintendo
Make Windows Great Again!

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Potentially very damaging. A lot of government agencies and contractors use Microsoft accounts/services.
Yup, kind of a big deal… Wonder how they’ll handle it. I hope they don’t try to recoup losses by introducing a subscription model for Windows..

rull_bull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
To the above comments regarding source codes and begging them to hack other companies, you realize that this is a disaster?
Russins state controlled hackers are not white hat….
They are going to use that information/code to fuck up the west.

Hack your military ,goverments, banks, ransomware against hospitals, infrastructure, powerplants and so on.

Dont be stupid, this can affect all of us in a very bad way…

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, kind of a big deal… Wonder how they’ll handle it. I hope they don’t try to recoup losses by introducing a subscription model for Windows..
They see Office 365 is such a big success that Windows is next.

They are going to use that information/code to fuck up the west.

As if the West is stable, anyway.

rull_bull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
They see Office 365 is such a big success that Windows is next.

As if the West is stable, anyway.

That comment shows that you are complete clueless what this could lead to..
IF they launch some kind of attack using source code for Windows, the whole world is going to get affected.
Dont even think that you will not be affected by such attack even i you are not in the west.

Reactions: skawo

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My insurance company just had a cyber attack this week, which I wouldn't be that upset over because it's insurance but I have a pending application with them. May consider not doing it now lol.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto