Microsoft hacked by Russian group, gaining access to source code repositories

Microsoft.png

Back in January 19th, Microsoft posted an entry in their blog about the company detecting a "nation-state attack" on January 12th that affected several of their systems. Back in January, Microsoft worked on mitigating, disrupting and investigating the attack, which according to Microsoft's investigations, led to the threat actor being Midnight Blizzard, a Russian state-sponsor actor that also goes by the name of NOBELIUM.

According to their initial blog post, the way in which the attackers gained access to Microsoft's systems was through a password spray attack, then gaining access to a portion of corporate Microsoft email accounts, but back then they assessed that the attack didn't show evidence of any stolen assets or data, but unfortunately for them, an update on the situation states the opposite.

In a new blog post just released minutes ago, Microsoft has stated that, with the elevated access they gain during the hack, the attackers accessed Microsoft's source code repositories and internal systems, with Microsoft claiming that one of the potential goals is to use the company's secrets, to which some of these have been shared with some of Microsoft's customers via email.

Additionally, Microsoft mentions that Midnight Blizzard's attacks seems to have increased during February, and that they will continue to work on mitigating and investigating the attacking activities.

:arrow: Source

drazenm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Russian state-sponsor actor.

That was enough for me to call it BS!

Whenever you don't know how to give a believable, honest explanation you can always jump on Russia, North Korea, China... Because they don't give 2 💩 to respond back to your fabricated accusations.

stellsnake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
От России отчаянно нужно избавиться.
По общему мнению, это несостоявшееся государство, выживающее только благодаря количеству там людей.
Один Австрийский художник когда то рассуждал подобным образом. Напомнить чем для него это закончилось?

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
Russian state-sponsor actor.

That was enough for me to call it BS!

Whenever you don't know how to give a believable, honest explanation you can always jump on Russia, North Korea, China... Because they don't give 2 💩 to respond back to your fabricated accusations.
Oh no, they do quite a lot to respond to these accusations. I mean, where do you think you got the idea that it couldn't possibly be Russia? It must be some incredible journalism if it can convince you that literally any accusation of hacking from Russia must be false...though I'm not sure how anyone could say that for sure, except Russia...

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

DarkKaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
foreach (string file in Directory.GetFiles("svn"))
{
if (file.Contains("banjo.cpp") || file == "007.cpp" || file == "perfectdark.cpp")
{
GiveAFuck();
}
else
{
ReallyDontGiveAFuck();
}
}

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A small reminder that those "anti-cheat" - read Ring 0 spying piece of garbage - don't work on Linux not because it's worse OS or there is no "support". They don't work because Linux is not like a broken glass window through which wind is just blowing through. Linux doesn't allow such high access for something that should NEVER have said access. If user has less control over the system than some random piece of closed-source, proprietary, spying, garbage then something went horribly wrong and it's called Windows.

EDIT - Oh and if memory serves at least some games - or maybe all? - that have Windows and OSX release SOMEHOW don't have their "anti-cheat" implemented on the OSX, gee I wonder why?
This.
Anti-cheat is essentially useless anyway. Even the more invasive ones are easily bypassed.

Imagine if any of these battle pass/loot box/closet case gambling games put even just a few of their seedy earned dollars toward a team of moderators or GMs that could respond live to reports of cheating and observe them for suspicious activity... One could dream, but I'm getting way off topic lol

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
and where are the evidence of russian attack over MS , the imagination ?? maybe wakanda did it . Please people stop falling to the trap of accepting assumptions as facts , there is no people winning over polarization of the world except the rich.....

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would be an absolute fucking disaster if they did. I really don't understand all the users making jokes about this, maybe they just aren't in the US?
what does being in the US have to it. I am 5th generation born and bread american and dont like russians one bit but applaud this. maybe they could do a snowden 2.0 and show some of those in the US like you who are braindead that the government is committing tons of criminal actions with computers violating peoples freedom and privacy. Microsoft is not an american operating system and doesnt represent the US. If it represents the US then thats a shame for the us americans that we are represented by such criminality.

iSubaru

Kitsune
Trophies
Website
clash-of-gods.netau.net
XP
Country
Poland
This.
Anti-cheat is essentially useless anyway. Even the more invasive ones are easily bypassed.

Imagine if any of these battle pass/loot box/closet case gambling games put even just a few of their seedy earned dollars toward a team of moderators or GMs that could respond live to reports of cheating and observe them for suspicious activity... One could dream, but I'm getting way off topic lol
Well said, some MMOHNS games back in the day didn't have any kind of that "anti-cheat" crap and they could function and prosper. Even if there was a cheater or two, it wasn't a big deal, one report button was everything needed to grab someone's attention that maybe a player is playing a bit against the rules? Heck some games even allowed some 3rd party scripts as long as they weren't obviously stepping outside the bounds. Today almost all MMOHNS have some kind of "anti-cheat" which does NOT solve the problem, but sure as hell makes the gameplay more problematic because it spies, takes some chunk of PC's performance, treats all the players like criminals "just in case" and makes the game unplayable on Linux for reasons I have already mentioned. Best part is that such "anti-cheat" junks are against the law in most - if not all - countries but you know as it is, big company is allowed BECAUSE it's THE big company.

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
and where are the evidence of russian attack over MS , the imagination ?? maybe wakanda did it . Please people stop falling to the trap of accepting assumptions as facts , there is no people winning over polarization of the world except the rich.....
Have you tried googling it? Or are you just assuming there's no evidence?

Next up: all the evidence is fabricated in a grand conspiracy by the US, Norway, the Netherlands, Microsoft, a bazillion cybersecurity companies and whoever else I missed from a cursory skim of Wikipedia.

Last edited by Sir Tortoise,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I suggest you get off the internet. It clearly is not helping your intelligence.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol