LastPass hacked for the second time this year, customer data stolen by hacker

asset_upload_file39648_234597.png

If you use LastPass as a secure password-managing service, things might not be as secure as you think. Earlier this year in August, the password keeper disclosed that it had been breached, with an unknown hacker having gained access to LastPass' source code and proprietary data. At the time, the company stressed that despite this, customers were unaffected by the hack, and that their data was safe. Now, for the second time this year, LastPass is having to announce that they have been hacked for a second time this year, and that in this incident, customer data has indeed been accessed and stolen.

According to an internal investigation, that same hacker used the data (cloud storage access and dual storage container decryption keys from August in order to get ahold of a backup of LastPass customer data. This means that the individual was able to access billing addresses, telephone numbers, IP addresses, and email addresses saved to users' accounts. That isn't the end of the breach, though, because the hacker also copied a backup of vault data, which contains the most sensitive info; usernames, passwords, and saved form-field data. LastPass claims that no credit card data was accessed, as the service does not store complete credit card numbers and information.

While the information like email addresses and telephone numbers were not encrypted, the password vaults were, with a 256-bit AES encryption, requiring a special key in the form of a user's master password to access. So despite having this information, LastPass claims that this would make it incredibly difficult for the hacker to actually obtain the data from the customer vault. That being said, there is the potential for someone to either brute force the master password, or eventually decrypt the data.

The threat actor may also target customers with phishing attacks, credential stuffing, or other brute force attacks against online accounts associated with your LastPass vault. In order to protect yourself against social engineering or phishing attacks, it is important to know that LastPass will never call, email, or text you and ask you to click on a link to verify your personal information. Other than when signing into your vault from a LastPass client, LastPass will never ask you for your master password.

With all this in mind, LastPass says that there isn't a need to take action at this time, unless your master password was not as secure as recommended. This is just the latest in a string of numerous hacks that the password managing service has suffered over the past few years, with incidents taking place in 2015, 2017, and 2019, all resulting in customer data being accessed by hackers.

:arrow: Source

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Our CISO "security" police obligate us to use a cloud "password manager". I did receive an admonishment for to not using it. and instead using a local password manager with 4096 bits encryption, few weeks later all my coworkers had to change all his/her passwords because the "super high secure cloud password manager" get hacked and all secrets was stealed...

First rule of security: if a bad guy have physical acces to your data, isn't your data anymore

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I put my database on a USB stick so I can use it on my laptop as well, guess it does that too

Tech tip
Tech tip: Never store your passwords on your device. Someone could remotely access your PC and steal your passwords.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you use LastPass as a secure password-managing service, things might not be as secure as you think. Earlier this year in August, the password keeper disclosed that it had been breached, with an unknown hacker having gained access to LastPass' source code and proprietary data. At the time, the company stressed that despite this, customers were unaffected by the hack, and that their data was safe. Now, for the second time this year, LastPass is having to announce that they have been hacked for a second time this year, and that in this incident, customer data has indeed been accessed and stolen.

According to an internal investigation, that same hacker used the data (cloud storage access and dual storage container decryption keys from August in order to get ahold of a backup of LastPass customer data. This means that the individual was able to access billing addresses, telephone numbers, IP addresses, and email addresses saved to users' accounts. That isn't the end of the breach, though, because the hacker also copied a backup of vault data, which contains the most sensitive info; usernames, passwords, and saved form-field data. LastPass claims that no credit card data was accessed, as the service does not store complete credit card numbers and information.

While the information like email addresses and telephone numbers were not encrypted, the password vaults were, with a 256-bit AES encryption, requiring a special key in the form of a user's master password to access. So despite having this information, LastPass claims that this would make it incredibly difficult for the hacker to actually obtain the data from the customer vault. That being said, there is the potential for someone to either brute force the master password, or eventually decrypt the data.

With all this in mind, LastPass says that there isn't a need to take action at this time, unless your master password was not as secure as recommended. This is just the latest in a string of numerous hacks that the password managing service has suffered over the past few years, with incidents taking place in 2015, 2017, and 2019, all resulting in customer data being accessed by hackers.

:arrow: Source
I considered using them a long time ago. Let's just say I'm happy I went with Bitwarden instead.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
here's a few nice alternative password managers

brain-lateral.png

pencil-paper.jpg

View attachment 343983

Method #2 and #3 suffer from basically the same problem as LastPass: single point if failure. Better alternative: use passphrases adapted to the login instead of password. Also make sure you have 2 factor authentication enable as much as possible.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad I ditched lastpass several years ago when they decided to limit the amount of devices you can sign into unless you upgrade to a paid plan. Switched to bitwarden and couldn't be happier.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Sup