Microsoft says if every CoD player on PlayStation defected to Xbox, PS would still have a larger userbase

jdklasdas.png

The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) of the UK is concerned by Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard. While the announcement of the purchase was made in January, the deal hasn't been allowed to finalize, as various regulators voice their objections and worries about monopolization in the gaming industry. Currently, the CMA rejected the Microsoft-Activision buyout, and the process has progressed to a "second phase" of investigation. While this is ongoing, Microsoft is defending its decision by making a claim that PlayStation would not be put at risk by the purchase.

The CMA is concerned that having full control over this powerful catalogue, especially in light of Microsoft's already strong position in gaming consoles, operating systems, and cloud infrastructure, could result in Microsoft harming consumers by impairing Sony's – Microsoft's closest gaming rival – ability to compete as well as that of other existing rivals and potential new entrants who could otherwise bring healthy competition through innovative multi-game subscriptions and cloud gaming services.

The CMA believes that PlayStation would be put "at risk" by Microsoft owning the Call of Duty, Overwatch, and Crash Bandicoot publisher, but Microsoft says otherwise, to the point of stating that even if every single Call of Duty player on PlayStation consoles "defected" to the Xbox platform, PlayStation's userbase would still be "significantly" larger. However, Microsoft did not share any proof of its claim, but simply said that PlayStation has a 150-million-strong player base, while Xbox has an install base of about 64 million. They also mentioned that PlayStation has a definitive stranglehold on the market, because they have the ability to raise prices on their hardware, while still remaining competitive with Xbox.

Despite Microsoft's claims that they won't make Call of Duty, or any of Activision's franchises Xbox exclusives, at least for the time being, the CMA says that there's no evidence that Microsoft wouldn't backpedal on that decision, and that they have a history of doing that exact thing in the past. For now, the investigation will continue until its final report, which will take place in March 2023.

:arrow: Source

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is a bit of a disingenuous statement since most shooters and online gamers pick xbox for its significantly better online infrastructure. So they probably already have the majority of CoD players, and it's a dwindling base anyway lol

I'm sure they're not wrong that Sony is larger, it's pretty much the Apple of gaming. Overpriced and toxic but with a large, loyal fanbase.

If they're going to whine Microsoft might "harm consumers" maybe crack down on all the shady shit Sony does. Like their mediocre support, constant bribing of timed exclusives and refusal to ever support crossplay with MS/Nintendo unless heavily pressured. I'm sure there's more i'm forgetting. Microsoft looks like fucking saints beside those crooked Sony assholes.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both of these companies are rotten for different reasons, but to Sony's credit they're at the top because they consistently have had the superior product/service. Xbox has always had some level of shittiness, not because Sony is being unfair, but because Microsoft is incompetent. Consumers decided they want Playstation.

Allowing this acquisition would enable an incompetent corporation to buy market share. That's bad for consumers, and the health of the overall market. The free market decided Xbox should go away, but Microsoft's unlimited resources makes them immune to regular market forces (government regulation seems to be the only thing that affects them).

I'm not saying Xbox should disappear, because that would give Sony an actual textbook-definition monopoly. However, if the gaming industry were sane, Xbox would have gone bankrupt long ago, and a new competitor would have risen to fill the void they left. Maybe Valve will pull that off in a few years now that they're getting into hardware? Or multiple hardware companies will build off of Steam as a common platform, kind of like Android/Google Play?

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is a bit of a disingenuous statement since most shooters and online gamers pick xbox for its significantly better online infrastructure. So they probably already have the majority of CoD players, and it's a dwindling base anyway lol

I'm sure they're not wrong that Sony is larger, it's pretty much the Apple of gaming. Overpriced and toxic but with a large, loyal fanbase.

If they're going to whine Microsoft might "harm consumers" maybe crack down on all the shady shit Sony does. Like their mediocre support, constant bribing of timed exclusives and refusal to ever support crossplay with MS/Nintendo unless heavily pressured. I'm sure there's more i'm forgetting. Microsoft looks like fucking saints beside those crooked Sony assholes.
I MOSTLY agree with this, aside from the fact my kid bro has turned into one of these weirdo CoD only players, and for him (and his kind) the PS4 was the CoD machine, whereas the previous gen that fell to the X360, so they all migrated regardless of how shite the online infrastruture comparatively is. (this gen, well I'm yet to be convinced this even IS a gen, and bollocks like Fortnite have mixed things up now)

But seriously what does Microsoft own that rivals the CoD franchise in size? Minecraft. Has that been taken off the Sony store? Of course not. This whole case is a fiasco, CoD will remain on PS (Phil Spencer's 3 years comment just covering his back in case Sony try something shady to retaliate) - and Sony should save face and back down now, it'll only end up more damaging for them if they continue (not that I'd care too much, I 100% agree that Sony are a bunch of arseholes of the highest nature and pretty much always have been)

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You don't become a mega corp without doing shady shit and MS has a long history of this way before Xbox or Playstation existed.

Also, why would anyone play CoD on anything but PC with keyboard/mouse?

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

You're just simply wrong. PS has the largest COD base. According to a Warzone poll, It's something like 50% PS, 25% Xbox, 25% PC. Not exactly, but something along those lines. I've also seen similar numbers in the past regarding other COD titles. And what is this "significantly better online infrastructure"? You start the game, pick online mode, and you play. How is that "significantly better"? I've seen that nonsense of an argument for years. There really is very little to absolutely zero difference in that aspect of things.

Sorry you haven't been able to get a PS5 yet, but I hear they are going to be much easier to get soon.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

You're just simply wrong. PS has the largest COD base. According to a Warzone poll, It's something like 50% PS, 25% Xbox, 25% PC. Not exactly, but something along those lines. I've also seen similar numbers in the past regarding other COD titles. And what is this "significantly better online infrastructure"? You start the game, pick online mode, and you play. How is that "significantly better"? I've seen that nonsense of an argument for years. There really is very little to absolutely zero difference in that aspect of things.

Sorry you haven't been able to get a PS5 yet, but I hear they are going to be much easier to get soon.
He's not wrong most COD players are on Playstation.

Playstation consoles have always been more popular. Alot more of them out there so it would make sense that most of the COD user base is on Playstation.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

I always find this posts hilarious.

When a console is gaining the upper hand that generation, its always because of the blind follower and fanbase...

Lets check with nintendo up until snes, nintendo was undefeated everyone complained about them saying they were only selling more due to fanbase, they controlled everything and whatnot. then came the n64/gc and no one said anything again they ere loosing so they couldnt pull the fanbase card to diss them, then came the wii selling alot and people complained again bout nintendo sheeps and whatnot, came the wiiu and it was a flop no one said anything about the loyal fanbase(because if it was true they wouldnt ever had a flopped console...)...Now there is the switch and its a sucess again and again nintendo only sells because of fanbase and blind sheep again...

See the trend? i see it same for Sony
They were undefeated on ps1,ps2. the ps3 took a long time to get started and everyone was saying shit to Sony and xbox360 was king for most of the generation. then came ps4 and Sony took over the throne again, of course Sony became "toxic" and fanbase followers were the only reason it was gaining momentum.

Serious this is a cycle when everyone complains over who is winning because they couldn't possibly be winning because of any other facts except rabid and toxic fanbases...

this apply s to anything not just the video game industry, every single time, if a company is on top they are the "evil" ones...

Reactions: Maq47

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious what the numbers are this gen, because it feels like it's a much closer race between the Series X and the PS5 than it was between the Xbone and PS4.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious what the numbers are this gen, because it feels like it's a much closer race between the Series X and the PS5 than it was between the Xbone and PS4.
While that may be true, I think it's important to recognize that's also affected by chip shortages and heavy demand for PS5 especially - it is much easier to get a Series X than a PS5.
That, and the fact that many people are still on last-gen- where PS4 has sold more than double Xbox One.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
since game pass, i've been on xbox exclusively, aside from my switch
the ability to run emulators on dev mode is fantastic
i'd be shocked if sony stays number one forever, considering how much worse they are these days
Oh I've seen how people are willing to defend Sony every chance they have. I will not be surprised. Disappointed for sure, but that would have been expected, as I still hold some little hope that people aren't such fans of a brand they just can't imagine buying something else even if it's doing the same thing but better

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1