Nintendo to double Switch production for 2017 following strong demand

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Prans, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    nintendo is back baby!

2. slingblade1170

Member slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I read about this last night and it's great news. Nintendo is taking the switch seriously and with sales comes more games.

3. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    that's a lot of left joycon returns.

4. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Yes because that totally effects every single user out there. :rolleyes:

5. silver_ryder

Newcomer silver_ryder Advanced Member

Portugal
    Because of sale wise i doubt you ill ever find a WiiU cheaper, 150€ right now it will be a great deal, in the future will be more expensive because of the shortage, 14 million consoles sold is nothing worldwide...!

6. Saiyan Lusitano

Member Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Not even sure that marketing the WiiU better would have saved it. Third party publishers left it, the public didn't know what a WiiU was and its name "WiiU" sounded very confusing. "Is it an add-on for the Wii? Does the tablet controller play game cards?" The types of questions people had about it. Fortunately now, Nintendo nailed the Switch with its marketing and the Switch does exactly the second thing those fellas were asking!

The Switch is an incredible hybrid console with tons of potential and everything is looking great for its future.

By the way, the battery of the Switch should've been longer than only 3hrs! I didn't play too long on it (at a certain extent of time my hands started feeling cramped) and noticed the battery getting low.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

My Joy-Cons work as they should and when spread on each hand they're perfect! The Pro Controller is technically superior for traditional gamers like myself but I have to admit the Joy-Cons make gaming sessions almost as though you're playing with your mind. :)

Reecey and the_randomizer like this.
  7. the_randomizer

United States
    I have had literally no issues, the issues that effect users is only maybe 1-3% of users, if that. They are overblown and sensationalized via the media. It's getting really annoying actually XD

8. slingblade1170

Member slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It really is annoying but on forums it's ammo. I haven't had either of my joy cons desync either. I don't know how common the fps drops in Zelda r but Ive only noticed once and I play 4-6 hours a day docked. Watch my switch explode and burn my house down for saying I've had no issues. Lol

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  9. the_randomizer

United States
    Apparently the performance issues may be tied to WiFi, I saw something like that on Nintendo Life, but in docked mode, I didn't even notice these issues at all. People like to take the issues, blow them up, and use it as some half-assed reason to bash the console. Criticism I've no issues with, but when something is unfounded, that I do have an issue with.

Never seen you make a positive post about Nintendo before :P

Last edited by the_randomizer, Mar 17, 2017
    slingblade1170 likes this.
  10. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Addict

Sweden
    I've heard they are marketing it hard in the US and Japan, something that they didn't do with the Wii U. The name also caused a lot of confusion for the average Joe.

11. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States

i had literally no issues till yesterday. so it may not be an out of the box issue but something you develop down the line.

12. sarkwalvein

Member sarkwalvein GBAtemp Psycho!

Argentina
    I've noticed with mine that it is a problem that comes and goes.
    If you disconnect them (unpair) and resync them, they normally work fine for some time, until it happens again.
    I suppose it can be fixed by software.

13. BobWoggle

Newcomer BobWoggle Member

Canada
    I hope it ends up selling well enough to get an updated version later on (I'll do my part, gonna buy one as soon as they're in stock again) and I sort of hope any updated version is a thing with built in controls, bigger battery, and a similar form factor and screen size to the PS Vita, because I'm sure they could cram it all in there if they tried hard enough.

14. John256145

Newcomer John256145 Advanced Member

United States
    Good, because I wouldn't like the same situation with the NES Classic.

15. DarthDub

Member DarthDub Amateur Hacker

United States
    Finally I can get my hands on one.

16. Xzi

Member Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

United States
    People were desperate for a new Nintendo console since there hasn't been one since the Wii. half /s

For real though it'd be crazy if Switch outdoes Wii U's lifetime sales in a single year.

17. Memoir

Member Memoir Undeserved

United States
    Would it, though? Would it really?

18. Online

Member Online GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Deliver the games Switch, that's all u gotta do

19. Thulinma

Newcomer Thulinma Computer Magician

Netherlands
    Yeah, it bothers me when people say the Switch is priced too high. I guess they don't realize what's in the package...:
    • Power supply is a USB-PD 15v-enabled power supply. The cheapest commercially available equivalent is ~30-45 EUR/USD. Nintendo sells it for 30, which is the same or cheaper.
    • Dock is a 15v-enabled HDMI dock with USB-PD charging and USB3 support. Cheapest commercially available equivalent is ~150-200 EUR/USD. Nintendo sells it for ~60, which is much less.
    • The main unit itself is roughly equivalent to a 60-80 EUR/USD tablet, but with a pretty hefty battery for its size.
    • Each of the joycons contains technology that costs about 20-40 EUR/USD to manufacture. Nintendo sells them for ~30 a piece.
    So, in total, the package of stuff that comes with the console is about a 250-300 EUR/USD value, assuming mass production. Which means their profit margin is probably around 10-20%, which is not bad at all for this type of product.
    Yes, the main unit could've been more powerful, and yes, they could've gone for a different charging solution, but for once Nintendo took the path of standardization instead of making their own stuff, and I can only applaud that effort. At some point they had to make the decision what trade-off for power vs. costs was acceptable, and especially considering the build quality I'd say it's an excellent deal for what's in the package.

20. Xzi

Member Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

United States
    Really truly. Madly deeply.

Shield TV has been $200 for most of its lifetime, although at certain retailers during certain times it could be bought for $150. $300 I find is reasonable for Switch because it is a hybrid instead of a stationary console, and the main unit is actually smaller than Shield TV by a good 25% - 33% even despite Shield TV being very compact itself. The Shield TV controller that comes with it is good quality, but far more tech is crammed in to the joy cons, and again they're smaller.

$250 I think is the absolute lowest that would've been doable with a small profit margin for Nintendo. At least at launch.

Last edited by Xzi, Mar 17, 2017