Nintendo to double Switch production for 2017 following strong demand

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Prans, Mar 17, 2017.

1. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    The wiiu is f'ing awesome. I don't know what crack you're smoking.

vinipeix and CandraSoftware like this.
  2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That's exactly right.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    FIX'D! :creep:

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Mar 18, 2017
  4. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    How to spot a non-gamer: they say that ET for the Atari 2600 was bad.

It was actually pretty good, but the game was hugely backed up and had a pretty serious overstock issue. Atari 2600 owners weren't that much interested into the game.

5. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    As someone who actually has played it? It was bad. Even for an Atari 2600 game.. It was bug ridden and flat out irritating. Wonky controls, all of those damn holes... I mean.. just.. HOLES

6. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    double posted

Last edited by Thirty3Three, Mar 19, 2017
  7. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    Fixed.

Subtle Demise and Bladexdsl like this.
  8. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    :rofl2:

That's a joke, right? Because if not... Em... Well...I don't want to sound condescending or disallow you your opinion, but... Let's just say that a large majority of gamers would very much disagree. Assuming they've heard of it in the first place.I'd say knowing about the game already puts you way above average when it comes to a definition of being a gamer. But if being a gamer means that you aren't allowed an opinion on a game, then it would be better not being one in the first place. :mellow:

9. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    Please, all the little kids think it's a bad game because AVGN said so. Play it if you don't believe me. Make sure to also play the other Atari 2600 games, because everything is as clunky with maybe 1-2 exceptions.

10. SSG Vegeta

SSG Vegeta GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    Long live the Nintendo Switch ^^

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
  12. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I played it back in the 80s.
    I also played many other Atari 2600 games, I remember Pitfall, Frogger... well, I actually don't remember many more, I was more of a C64 guy, my cousin had a 2600 and I played when I was at his home.

The thing is the Atari 2600 had good and bad games, and TBH E.T. was among the bad games, I would take Pitfall any day rather than playing E.T., it was really... not good.

13. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    Pitfall was the killer app of the system. Of course it compared better lol.

Try with Towering inferno or Combat. Great games, but not as great.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

14. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Wut? AVNG...that's angry video game nerd, right? It's very possible he said so, but I don't see how that somehow makes him wrong (or people with the same opinion magically non-gamers, for that matter). The opinion is pretty universal (in fact, we already have two gbatemp members who have played and disliked it as well).

And sorry if you like the game, but I'm not going to play the entire atari 2600 library in the odd chance that every retro reviewer and gamer of that time was wrong...because my opinion was about the general conception that the game was bad which would still hold true even if it became my personal best game ever.

15. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    I'm just interested to see if it'll become a kick-ass homebrew system! I'd love playing some emulators on the go using that gorgeous screen.

16. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2015
    i cant see sense in comparing sales to a failed system.

when nintendo first claimed this, i found it funny when it failed when comparing sales of the WII U and 3DS during the same period in the UK.

and yes this console is merging both home and portable consoles into one, so its sales should compare to both its last home and portable console.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

one person has already managed to get Ocarina of Time Rom running on his switch.

17. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Now I know you're a massive troll. Lmfao

slingblade1170 and Subtle Demise like this.
  18. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Is he still on here that's why most got him blocked. He spends a lot of time talking about something he hates lol. He's either a bored troll or a 13 year old fanboy of some other system.

Anyways, doubling production is great news it means nintendo is trying to meet demand instead of trying to create hype from switch being rare. It does have the potential to be an amazing homebrew/emulation machine especially since its portable.

19. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    It just had piss poor marketing, the 3DS being the main focus at every damn E3 didn't help. Nintendo refusing to do a little more focus only made it worse.

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    While I am not likely to sing the praises of Nintendo's marketing department, at least assuming I were capable of such a heinous act as believing in the merits of a marketing department, to pin even a majority portion of the wii u's failure on it would seem to be an oversight so large I am not sure I can quite understate it.

So again
    Piss pore lineup
    Failure to secure third parties
    Suspect dev tools, and certainly lack of engines
    Poor online infrastructure
    archaic *and* complex hardware design
    Failure of a large portion of lifetime of the previous device (and the device before that and the device before that, said devices having lifetimes of some half a decade)

All of those need to be looked at almost before marketing comes into play, and I doubt even if they had Edward Bernays resurrected to his prime they could have marketed it well enough to overcome several of those. While quality may not always shine though there is surely enough that were it to be an unsung beacon of light then word of mouth alone would have got it somewhere*. Or if you prefer see all those indy games that make it big despite having a marketing budget consisting of review codes and the ability to get it on a store front somewhere, to at best a worldwide one being about that of Nintendo Australia's canteen budget for the year.

*spin it another way. Back in the GBA era then everyone here had one, wanted one or was content to use emulation to approximate one for them. Would you even float a notion like that for the wii u?

21. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    A system not being popular and not selling well doesn't make it not awesome. It's awesome because of the games i have on it . Not to mention cfw and emulators etc..