Nintendo DS Passes PlayStation 2 and becomes Greatest gaming device ever made

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the subject of people buying multiple DS's updating or what ever, in total I have owned 5 PS2's so that door swings both ways when counting up the sales.

Stephapanda

Clover's Wife
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is no one taking into account that the DS is a handheld, which are considerably cheaper than home consoles? Also, a lot of times consoles are shared by families while handhelds aren't so much.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Is no one taking into account that the DS is a handheld, which are considerably cheaper than home consoles? Also, a lot of times consoles are shared by families while handhelds aren't so much.
True, true.

Besides, nobody's really contesting whether or not the DS and DSi were good handheld consoles - they were, easily the best to date. Personally I'm interested in the factual adoption rate though.

On the subject of people buying multiple DS's updating or what ever, in total I have owned 5 PS2's so that door swings both ways when counting up the sales.
I don't think it'd be risky to say that you're in the minority. :creep:

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
You mean the built-in internet browser
That was shit?

twin cameras
That were both shit?

the forementioned DSiWare
That was mostly shit?
compatibility with the increasingly-popular WPA connection mode for all the DSiEnhanced titles
Sure, all... how many did you say?

blah blah blah
Let's face it, people who upgraded only did so because they thought teh homebrewz was cumin and they wouldn't need a flashcard to pirate games anymore. :P

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That was shit?

That were both shit?

That was mostly shit?

Sure, all... how many did you say?

Let's face it, people who upgraded only did so because they thought teh homebrewz was cumin and they wouldn't need a flashcard to pirate games anymore. :P

You forgot to mention the Flipnote Studio which is exclusive to DSi, of course I didn't buy the DSi because of that, but it is easily the best dsiware out there. Oh god, I miss it!

D

Deleted_171835

It's from VGChartz which is shit but this info should be accurate.

But this is well-deserved. The DS is a fucking awesome platform.

I find it hard to believe that the 27,39 million DSi's and 12,47 million DSi XL's were bought by new adopters alone. That, and the "pirating" portion of DS/i users is actually the vast minority of the overall userbase.
We could use this argument for a number of platforms including ones that have had high failure rates like the 360 which could have lead to people buying the system multiple times. Fact is, the number of new adopters vs. people who bought revisions is probably a negligible difference and doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
We could use this argument for a number of platforms including ones that have had high failure rates like the 360 which could have lead to people buying the system multiple times. Fact is, the number of new adopters vs. people who bought revisions is probably a negligible difference and doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.
I agree with you, as long as we substract the XBox 360'ties and PS3's that the users received in return if the console was "unfixable", yes. In general terms, I believe that sales =/= adoption rate, since these do not include the pre-owned sector as well as the two forementioned aspects. :)

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I feel like it's safe to assume that looking at how the PS2 sold through the last fiscal year [here], that it likely has pushed at least another 2 million systems since the last tally at the end of March. Even if it has only pushed a million, or even 500,000 in the past nine months, it has still outsold the DS to date. Counting in DSi sales, I have no doubt that the DS will become the best selling console of any kind to date in another year or so, but I'm sure it hasn't happened yet.

Just to note, even when the DS does pass the PS2 in sales, it won't be all that impressive for a number of reasons, all relatively basic in nature, and have mostly been said sporadically throughout this thread. A small compilation:

- Considering the large differences with the DSi, whether you thought it was shit or not, it could be considered a separate system entirely and not just a revision. Now, I am quoting Wikipedia's numbers from here for this, but you can find the original numbers they use from Nintendo's official numbers here. 39.86 million units as of September 30th are from the DSi and DSi XL.

- That aside, consider how many were bought for multiple members of one family, or how many had to be replaced with a new purchase due to poorly designed hardware (I'm looking at you, DSlite). Consider upgrades, not just from DS to DSlite. Not just from DSlite to DSi. Not just DSi to DSi XL. How many people went through at least two of those? Multiply that by multiple members of one family, or broken systems just due to how easy it is to be careless with a handheld. The numbers add up very quickly.

- Going back to the first point, depending on how you feel about the DSi, that number is more like 113.83 million sales for the actual DS to date. Considering more DSi's and XL's have sold since then, that number likely drops closer to a flat 113 million.

That's just the tip of the iceberg when critiquing total DS sales.

tl;dr: PS2 IS KING 5EVA!

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
- That aside, consider how many were bought for multiple members of one family, or how many had to be replaced with a new purchase due to poorly designed hardware (I'm looking at you, DSlite). Consider upgrades, not just from DS to DSlite. Not just from DSlite to DSi. Not just DSi to DSi XL. How many people went through at least two of those? Multiply that by multiple members of one family, or broken systems just due to how easy it is to be careless with a handheld. The numbers add up very quickly.

I've had 3 differents psx because of problems with the lens. What makes you think broken units are a DS specific problem?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had 3 differents psx because of problems with the lens. What makes you think broken units are a DS specific problem?
Way to miss the point.

Multiple people in one house buy a single DS each. Say, three people, three DS's.
Let's say two start with the DSlite and later upgrade to the DSi, and one only ever has the DSi.
That's a total of five DS models for one household.
Let's say one DSi breaks and they have to buy a new one because it's out of warranty.
That makes for six DS models in one household.

How many people even considered going through that many PS2's as a possibility? And why bring up the PS1? The PS1 isn't the PS2. It'd be like bringing up the 360. Two different systems. Different hardware. Different generations. Doesn't matter.

Oh, and I personally have gone through two DS models. I had a phat, which eventually broke, and I upgraded to the DSlite.

Just to note, when countering a point, it's a solid idea to actually counter it.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Way to miss the point.

Multiple people in one house buy a single DS each. Say, three people, three DS's.
Let's say two start with the DSlite and later upgrade to the DSi, and one only ever has the DSi.
That's a total of five DS models for one household.
Let's say one DSi breaks and they have to buy a new one because it's out of warranty.
That makes for six DS models in one household.

How many people even considered going through that many PS2's as a possibility? And why bring up the PS1? The PS1 isn't the PS2. It'd be like bringing up the 360. Two different systems. Different hardware. Different generations. Doesn't matter.

Oh, and I personally have gone through two DS models. I had a phat, which eventually broke, and I upgraded to the DSlite.

Just to note, when countering a point, it's a solid idea to actually counter it.

I cited my PS1s to point out that other consoles beside the DS do break too. And so what 2 or more people in a household have a DS? Each of them are going to buy games anyway. And you seriously question my point but makes yours citing a highly improbable situation? And yet another flaw in your theory, many people who upgrade their consoles sell their older ones which means more people buying the games.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly, I think I had more fun with the DS than I did any other Nintendo handheld. I'm not the biggest graphics whore, but some of the games on the GameBoy and GameBoy advance, just didn't appeal to me at all. I couldn't get into them. Not only because of a lack of color, but also that there was nothing that appealed to me. I mean with the DS, it brought in a whole new way to play old genres, and it was fun. Not with just the touch screen, but the Dual Screen set up too.

I played newer genres on the DS than I would have ever played before in my life. Seriously, Visual Novels (999)? love it! Puzzles (Layton)? LOVE IT.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Back when I was playing kakarot I looked up one little guide now all I see is dbz stuff