Hardware nand flash dump (3ds xl)

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How much harder is it to do the mod on a regular 3ds as opposed to the easier XL one?

It's not that much harder as far as soldering. You just have to solder one wire on the underside of the motherboard. The hardest part is cutting the hole in the bottom of the shell (I drilled a hole and filed the rest out). Be sure to insulate the bottom pins, so they don't short out and give you boot errors.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have a lot more wires and screw to remove, right?
removing the analog pad, volume slider, wifi module, etc.

like this (but this one is for 3DS XL) :
http://uk.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-3ds/3DS_XL_Shell_Swapping

You need to remove the mother board to solder on the other side.
Yes. You have to remove the circle pad, Wi-Fi module, the bottom screen (if you choose), the SD card reader, and 10 screws (2 screws for the circle pad, 2 for the SD card reader, 2 under the SD card reader, and 4 directly on the motherboard). The hardest part of that is being careful and not breaking any of the ZIF connectors, and pulling the SD card reader off because it is adhered to the NAND shielding with double sided insulated tape. Plus the point on the bottom of the motherboard is tiny compared to the other NAND points (flux is your friend).

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'm wondering if it's not easier to just desolder the cartridge slot
or buy a 3DS XL :ph34r:
tbh once you have done it a few times it only takes like 10 mins to take the board out solder the clk and get it back in, first time was annoying with the top LCD cables i thought keeping it closed would be easier, but the trick is to open the 3ds out flat, makes getting the ribbon cables back in much easier

Reactions: Cyan

aliak11

Pokemon Master
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

sonic2756

Friendly Neighborhood Wolf
Trophies
Website
www.keenbrigade.com
XP
Country
United States

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
right i may be wrong here but on the spillpass partition there is a the normal kernel.img, and another file name kernel_with_sd.img rename the kernel.img and then rename kernel_with_sd.img to kernel.img, as i say im not that informed in these thing but i had to do this when i was testing the unbricker for bkifft, im sure he can chime in and call me a toss pott if its unrelated :rofl2:, but worth a try its all i can recommend anyway :P

Reactions: bkifft

sonic2756

Trophies
Website
www.keenbrigade.com
XP
Country
United States
right i may be wrong here but on the spillpass partition there is a the normal kernel.img, and another file name kernel_with_sd.img rename the kernel.img and then rename kernel_with_sd.img to kernel.img, as i say im not that informed in these thing but i had to do this when i was testing the unbricker for bkifft, im sure he can chime in and call me a toss pott if its unrelated :rofl2:, but worth a try its all i can recommend anyway :P

Didn't work :/

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Didn't work :/

just to be sure: you moved the "with_sd" kernel to "kernel.img" on the SD (not USB, not /boot/) FAT partition and rebooted?

also remember to turn the 3DS on after plugging it in the Pi, and do a dmesg afterwards (to check if it gets at least partially recognized)

sonic2756

Trophies
Website
www.keenbrigade.com
XP
Country
United States
just to be sure: you moved the "with_sd" kernel to "kernel.img" on the SD (not USB, not /boot/) FAT partition and rebooted?

also remember to turn the 3DS on after plugging it in the Pi, and do a dmesg afterwards (to check if it gets at least partially recognized)

This is what I get running a dmesg http://imgur.com/CP453Bt

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Well. I guess my soldering skills aren't precise enough.

I tried creating the custom cable and I failed miserably. The soldering points are just too small for me.

Does anyone have any soldering tips? Its hard to hold the soldering iron, the wire to be soldered and the solder.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @DinohScene hi