Hardware How I fixed 160-0103 system memory error

dustinrue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Replace the eMMC with an SD, which was cloned from the eMMC or better replace it with another eMMC. After that the broken files can be replaced if udiph works again.

I am very certain the MLC backup I have has issues as this unit was giving me problems before I ever took the backup. I am going to continue to mess with it and see what I can get it doing though.

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If u used the console after creating the backup, you can't use the backup anymore except if you also flash the SLC.
You need to clone the current state of the eMMC to the sdcard.
And after that the problems can be fixed if udpih is working

marcellomls

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My sd (128gb) arrives today, I'm going to make a backup and leave the console off until I have access to the board that the voltar is developing to exchange my nand hinix for a micro sd 32gb.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a method available today to simply init the MLC as empty? I assume that I can't simply dd the eMMC blank and the Wii U will magically format it on first boot (how did they do this in the factory?) but I'm just looking for some way to make this system run again at all. I have a replacement Wii U so I can do whatever on this one.
If you mean resetting the eMMC to factory state a secure erase will usually do that but it won't boot at all like this obviously. You have to restore the backup anyway.

blkdiscard has a secure erase option. It may or may not work with the eMMC chips used in the Wii U because, if i recall correctly, secure erase got added later into the standard.

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am going to continue to mess with it and see what I can get it doing though.
The more you mess with it, the worse it will get. And as you have to transfer the latest state you will also transfer all the additional problems. If it only affects files, it's not that bad, but if it affects directories, it will get messy.

bma37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My wii u no longer has a screen after an update, I don't have a nand dump, will I be able to bring it back with this project?

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My wii u no longer has a screen after an update, I don't have a nand dump, will I be able to bring it back with this project?
Kind of the same question.

Some time ago I've bought a used Wii U which doesn't load to System Menu, it stalls with an error message (can't remember exactly which error code it is). But also, don't have a NAND backup and would like to know if using a NAND backup from another Wii U might allow me to use this Wii U after doing all the process and the hardmod.

Thanks in advance.

bma37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If your wii u is on the screen, you just need to do the process with the raspberry pi pico and the memory card, which should be able to restore the system, it would not be necessary to dump the nand

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It depends. If the the problem is that the eMMC went read only during the update because the eMMC was already corrupted, then this would help. If the problem is something else, it won't. Is UDPIH still working (purple LED). Also if the problem is a read only emmc, it can still be read and transferred to an sd card, so it could be fixable without a backup.

Some time ago I've bought a used Wii U which doesn't load to System Menu, it stalls with an error message (can't remember exactly which error code it is).
It depends on what is causing the error, there are mainly two problems, which can both lead to a 160-0103 error. Either a CBHC brick, then you will see in the COld Boot Title menu in the recovery that that title is wrong and you can fix it there.
If it is caused by a bad eMMC chip (we could see that in the logs, which you can dump trough the recovery menu) then this project would be right for you.
If it is a different error message, then this also wouldn't help.
But also, don't have a NAND backup
As long as you can boot the recovery with UDPIH we should be able to fix it without a backup.
and would like to know if using a NAND backup from another Wii U might allow me to use this Wii U after doing all the process and the hardmod.
You can't use a backup of a different wii u, as each one has it's own encryption key. The only thoing you could use it for is to extract single files to replace broken ones on the other. But you can also get most of the files from the NUS.

Reactions: CMDreamer

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@SDIO
Thanks a lot for clarifying everything! Now I know what most of my chances are of recovering my Wii U.

Will keep an aye on the progress of this and all other projects toward recovering the Wii U. Thank you all!

bma37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It depends. If the the problem is that the eMMC went read only during the update because the eMMC was already corrupted, then this would help. If the problem is something else, it won't. Is UDPIH still working (purple LED). Also if the problem is a read only emmc, it can still be read and transferred to an sd card, so it could be fixable without a backup.

It depends on what is causing the error, there are mainly two problems, which can both lead to a 160-0103 error. Either a CBHC brick, then you will see in the COld Boot Title menu in the recovery that that title is wrong and you can fix it there.
If it is caused by a bad eMMC chip (we could see that in the logs, which you can dump trough the recovery menu) then this project would be right for you.
If it is a different error message, then this also wouldn't help.

As long as you can boot the recovery with UDPIH we should be able to fix it without a backup.

You can't use a backup of a different wii u, as each one has it's own encryption key. The only thoing you could use it for is to extract single files to replace broken ones on the other. But you can also get most of the files from the NUS.
Where do I see this purple led? So I don't need a hard mod? I was thinking that with a hard mod to dump the nand and fix it and then go back to the console or an sd card, would it be possible? If yes, where can I find a hard mod guide?

bma37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
UDPIH...

Not possible without UDPIH. So back to the original question: Does UDPIH still work for you (do you see the purple LED) ?
Here's my question, purple led on the raspberry or on the console?
Post automatically merged:

There really is a led on the raspberry but it doesn't light up when connected to the console, on the computer it works normal when I pass the file, I measured the voltage of the usb ports and they are ok, I'm going to try another usb cable.

Last edited by bma37,

bma37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The purple LED appears on the console, though it's more that the Red and Blue ones shine together.
It doesn't turn purple, the led turns blue, when I turn it on I can see the disk unit working a couple of times, I can insert the disk and remove it through the eject, but no screen, I discarded the hdmi for now because the component output also has no image , my doubt is, is there a way to dump the nand, retrieve it and then insert it into the console?

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@bma37 At what time are you plugging the Pico in?

is there a way to dump the nand, retrieve it and then insert it into the console?
How do you want to fix something on a properitary, encrypted filesystem? Again: You need UDPIH to fix this.
Steps to fix:
- Dump eMMC.
- Clone it to SD card.
- Boot into recovery menu (UDPIH).
- Fix corruptions with wupserver.

When you can't get UDPIH to work the SD mod is completely useless as the filesystem will still be corrupt.

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If the eMMC is read only udiph probably won't work, but transferring to an SD card would help in that case.
If udiph doesn't work because of another reason then this wouldn't help.
But if udpih works in the current state we can diagnose the problem better

bma37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@bma37 At what time are you plugging the Pico in?

How do you want to fix something on a properitary, encrypted filesystem? Again: You need UDPIH to fix this.
Steps to fix:
- Dump eMMC.
- Clone it to SD card.
- Boot into recovery menu (UDPIH).
- Fix corruptions with wupserver.

When you can't get UDPIH to work the SD mod is completely useless as the filesystem will still be corrupt.
So my dear, I'm researching the means to try the possibility, as you said, the step by step is to dump the nand, transfer it to the SD card and then try to start the UDPIH through the console to correct the corruptions in the SD card, that's it ?

If the eMMC is read only udiph probably won't work, but transferring to an SD card would help in that case.
If udiph doesn't work because of another reason then this wouldn't help.
But if udpih works in the current state we can diagnose the problem better

So my dear, I'm researching the means to try the possibility, as you said, the step by step is to dump the nand, transfer it to the SD card and then try to start the UDPIH through the console to correct the corruptions in the SD card, that's it ?

Do you have a solder point diagram to dump the nand and what tools do I need?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto