cornaljoe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I'm running a 5 year old system: Athlon XP 2700 1.25GB RAM GeForce FX 5600XT and want to upgrade. I want to go with a Intel Core 2 + GeForce 8800 as my ground for a advanced gaming PC. My limit will probably be ~1k and I want to get everything from Newegg.com. I’ve been out of the PC hardware thing for awhile so tips/changes/suggestions are welcome.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
5 years old?

Buy a new damn PC
tongue.gif

Like seriously.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I just upgraded my old computer (probably about 5 years old too) with a completely new motherboard a Gainward 8800GT, 2GB DDR2 RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6Ghz.

It runs like a dream.

cornaljoe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I want to build it myself. That actually makes the PC special to me. Not of much importance but I'll rather build than buy. Hmm... a Dell... not really for me, but I guess if the hardware is worth it. I'll look into it.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bluebright said:
are you building it your self? If you do you can save quite a bit of money and it'll run better then whatever dell can give you.
Wrong on both accounts. I suggest you do some research so next time you post you don't come off sounding like a fool.

jalapeno

Trophies
XP
Country
i dont see how he is wrong?

here in australia, you can save 20%-30% if you build the computer yourself.
and you can actually research the parts that goes into it, and choose the cheapeast supplier

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jalapeno said:

and you can actually research the parts that goes into it, and choose the cheapeast supplier
This is America son.

I dare you to show me a configuration that exceeds, or even matches the Dell I posted for less money.

If you can't backup your statements, then don't bother posting.

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Urza said:
jalapeno said:

This is America son.

I dare you to show me a configuration that exceeds, or even matches the Dell I posted for less money.

If you can't backup your statements, then don't bother posting.
Even if that's true, it won't be fun to just buy computer from store, when you could built it by yourself.
Also what jalaneme said applies to finland also.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TaMs said:
Even if that's true, it won't be fun to just buy computer from store, when you could built it by yourself.
Of course. Theres a certain "specialness" some people feel from using a system built with their own hands. I'm not arguing that point.

Personally, I couldn't care less about that. I'll go with best price per performance every time.

If you want to build it yourself, then feel free to ignore my advice. However, that doesn't change the fact that the option I posted will provide the much better price per performance than anything you do decide to build.

cornaljoe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the Dell is def worth it! The screen and CPU by itself is ~500USD. How much can be upgraded if needed? Any drawbacks to getting a Dell I should know about?

LOL, this is funny because I convinced myself to never get a Dell no matter how much of a deal it seemed. But you have me questioning myself ATM.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dell gained a reputation back in the 90's/early '00s for making crap/subpar systems; but in recent years they've really stepped it up and offer great value. I've got a couple Vostros myself and have yet to experience any issues with them.

QUOTE said:
How much can be upgraded if needed?
The graphics card you'll definitely want to upgrade. Order whichever one you choose from newegg, then simply swap it out for the included 8300GS (very low-end card).

Everything except the mobo and PSU can be upgraded with standard parts. Luckily, specialized Dell PSUs aren't particularly expensive.

jalapeno

Trophies
XP
Country
system quickly priced.

(2.40GHz,8MB L2Cache,1066FSB) - $200 ----> who needs a quad core, waste of money
Dell 20 inch Widescreen E207WFP Analog Flat Panel Display - $250
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz - 2DIMMs - $50 --> generic?
Single Drive: 16X (DVD+/-RW) Burner Drive - $30 --- brand name?
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ -$50 --- brand name?
128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8300GS - $30? --- onboard probably enough.

+mobo/case? $100 --- why isnt the motherboard even named, probably outdated.

ok, so $700AUD which is less than $600US

priced using brand-named parts.

i dont get why you'd want to pay for crummy generic parts and administrator costs rather than just buying better value hardware..

bluebright

Trophies
Website
www.portablespacemuseum.com
XP
Country
jalapeno said:
system quickly priced.

(2.40GHz,8MB L2Cache,1066FSB) - $200 ----> who needs a quad core, waste of money

ok, so $700AUD which is less than $600US

priced using brand-named parts.

i dont get why you'd want to pay for crummy generic parts and administrator costs rather than just buying better value hardware..

I'd one up that list except I could get you an 8800gt g-b for $272aud and an actual mother board (lol because you didn't list one), G-B EP35-DS3 for $129aud (i assume your listed CPU is intel too)...and make that DVD drive an 20x LG sata for $30aud.

But yeah, I not quite sure where Urza is coming from, I have no idea how they do it in america. In Aus we have a huge market for PC hardware and overclocking enthusiasts, and you can get all those parts that jalapeno listed at exactly that price, and if you know where to look, even cheaper.

My day job is a computer technician, and most of us in our industry regard 'custom' built PC's as being far superior to anything pre-fabricated. But, that's not to say Dell is horrible or anything, after all they use the same parts we do. It's just there markup is a little steep, and there marketed towards more of a mainstream demographic.

Oh, and jalapeno, I'm picking up a Western Digital 500gb for $129 t/m, which will be sweet because now I can...um...back things up.

jalapeno

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, that wasnt the system i would of chosen, its the one Urza meantioned.

If i were cornal i'd get,

e8400 (3.0ghz) - $250
Gigabyte p35 - ds3l - good cheap mobo - $100 about
2gb kingston ddr2 800mhz ram - $55
500gb samsung - $110 is the cheapest ive found

btw blueblight, i see you're in brisbane also

where abouts do u get your parts?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Link to where you're getting it for 200AUD?

In addition, there a considerable performance gap between the Q6600 and E6600, which is the C2D version of the Q6600. Even more so if you take into account how well the Q6600 overclocks.

QUOTE said:
About right.

QUOTE said:
I'll let you in on a little secret, most big-name computer manufacturers OEM their own motherboards.

And I'm sure a mobo included with a 100AUD case is gonna be great.

QUOTEok, so $700AUD which is less than $600US
650USD. gb2/math.

Are we making baseless claims now? How fun!

For your information, Dell and Comcast have formed a partnership so that Dell can coat all their parts with the "secret fast formula", making their parts 86% faster than the competition.

Example of this in work good sir.

In all seriousness though, the only viable conclusion I can come to is that you have no idea what you're talking about. Also, it appears the deal is now dead, so the argument is moot anyways.

bluebright

Trophies
Website
www.portablespacemuseum.com
XP
Country
jalapeno said:
yeah, that wasnt the system i would of chosen, its the one Urza meantioned.

If i were cornal i'd get,

e8400 (3.0ghz) - $250
Gigabyte p35 - ds3l - good cheap mobo - $100 about
2gb kingston ddr2 800mhz ram - $55
500gb samsung - $110 is the cheapest ive found

btw blueblight, i see you're in brisbane also

where abouts do u get your parts?

MSY, of course. Here's there price list: http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

The tech shop that I work at can't match there prices because they get all there gear TAX FREE. There insane. I have no idea how they make a living. MSY is run by asians, so they must have scary connections or something.

And Urza seems to be getting really serious about this. Is everything alright Urza? You know we're supposed to be helping out cornaljoe right?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bluebright said:
And Urza seems to be getting really serious about this. Is everything alright Urza? You know we're supposed to be helping out cornaljoe right?
Part of helping someone out on a forum is filtering out the nonsense; showing them what is and isn't fact.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y