Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
bluebright said:
And Urza seems to be getting really serious about this. Is everything alright Urza? You know we're supposed to be helping out cornaljoe right?
Part of helping someone out on a forum is filtering out the nonsense; showing them what is and isn't fact.

Like "gb2/math"?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
offtopic84 said:
Urza said:
bluebright said:
And Urza seems to be getting really serious about this. Is everything alright Urza? You know we're supposed to be helping out cornaljoe right?
Part of helping someone out on a forum is filtering out the nonsense; showing them what is and isn't fact.

Like "gb2/math"?
My posts are generally built upon three basic values:

1. Point

2. Troll

3. lulz

urzapost.png

Now we are getting a bit too far off-topic.

jalapeno

Trophies
XP
Country
i think advice like,

build a computer yourself would be very useful,

- you can save money on parts/labour
- you get to use the parts you want
- you get to use quality parts and not generic dell hardware

the only con i see, is that it'll take you abit of time chosing parts and you'll have to assemble it yourself. [which probably wont bother cornal]

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd have to side with Urza on this one. There can be some incredible deals to be had on some prebuilt machines. Unless you want specific hardware layouts that they can't provide, there's not much of a reason to not go with them. Sometimes the cases can be a pain in the ass, no doubt about that. But when you get one pre-built these days, all you are left to replace is pretty much the video card and the power supply.

Only real thing I fear from prebuilt packages is proprietary hardware designs.

bluebright

Trophies
Website
www.portablespacemuseum.com
XP
Country
AshuraZero said:
I'd have to side with Urza on this one. There can be some incredible deals to be had on some prebuilt machines. Unless you want specific hardware layouts that they can't provide, there's not much of a reason to not go with them. Sometimes the cases can be a pain in the ass, no doubt about that. But when you get one pre-built these days, all you are left to replace is pretty much the video card and the power supply.

Only real thing I fear from prebuilt packages is proprietary hardware designs.

Well, that's really the only problem I have. After all, I don't sell Dell machines, I only fix them. Which is why I get frustrated with there proprietary stuff.

But for Urza to say it's foolish to recommend a self-built PC over a pre-built is a little much.

After all, I still don't know how much hardware costs in America. Can someone shed some light on how expensive gear goes for in the states?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bluebright said:
But for Urza to say it's foolish to recommend a self-built PC over a pre-built is a little much.
Thats not what I was saying at all. I was simply explaining why that particular prebuilt was a better value than a system built yourself at standard hardware rates; and that prebuilt systems are an entirely viable option.

bluebright

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Urza said:
bluebright said:
Thats not what I was saying at all. I was simply explaining why that particular prebuilt was a better value than a system built yourself at standard hardware rates; and that prebuilt systems are an entirely viable option.

I'm genuinely curious, how expensive is hardware in USA?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bluebright said:
newegg is pretty cheap. between currencies, the GB 9600 is $10 cheaper on newegg. How do brick-and-mortar fair in comparison?
Not so well. It varies though. Sometimes the difference is small; and other times you'll be gouged for two to three times the item's worth.

cornaljoe

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well here's what I came up with: Newegg Wishlist.

Did I get everything right? Anyone suggest any changes? Kinda went over my limit by 50% so try to help me get it down without losing much performance. Also how would this compare to the Dell. Is my build worth the difference?

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok first of all, you need a different power supply. I've NEVER heard of the brand Rosewill. Go for a Thermaltake Toughpower 600W (you don't need 850W) or whatever was higher. Another good brand would be Corsair. 2nd, go look for a P35 chipset mobo. Nvidia's 680i chipset was slightly flawed and is already outdated. For an extra $40 (I don't know if this is too much for you), you could go for a new Intel X38 chipset Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4. This is one of the best performing mobos around.

bluebright

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Jerro123's got the right idea. And for a cpu cooler, I'd go with either a Zalman or a Noctura. And for me, as a personal choice, I would go for a Western Digital over a Seagate HD. Also I'd get a monitor with at least a 2ms response time.

With some changes, you've got a pretty kick ass list.

EDIT: And btw, FREAK that's expensive.

superkrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
super expensive

i prefer seasonic psu's they are pretty quiet and efficient

for cpu cooling i swear by thermalright's ultima series

why a dvd rom drive and burner? why not two burners instead?

680i is a sucky chipset.

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bluebright said:
And for me, as a personal choice, I would go for a Western Digital over a Seagate HD.

I agree too. If you are really that loaded with cash, go for a few WD Raptors
wink.gif

P.S. I almost forgot to mention, your 680i mobo doesn't even have PCI-E 2.0. If your GPU supports PCI-E 2.0, you DEFINITELY need to go with the X38 chipset mobo since that's got PCI-E 2.0.
NOTE: I'm not thinking clearly today... typing too slow for my thinking...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: