Hacking Luma3DS some question, please don't kill my thread this time :P

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Th

That guide does not install A9LH, so you'd have the same setup you have right now with sysNAND 9.2 and emuNAND 11.1 but you'd be booting your emuNAND with Luma3DS rather than RxTools. Everything else would be pretty much identical to what you're doing now. All the changes would be behind the scenes and you'd likely notice nothing different. You don't need a tutorial for this since you're already on sysNAND 9.2 and have an emuNAND. You'd just download the latest Luma3DS here and extract these files to your SD card:

arm9loaderhax.bin to the root of your SD:\ card (yes, Luma3DS uses this even if you don't have A9LH installed)
menuhax\boot.3dsx to the root of your SD:\ card overwriting the one you have there.

That's it. If you have menuhax installed, which I believe you do, then it would boot automatically. You'll know it works because the first time it boots you'll see the Luma3DS config screen.

I have purchased another 2DS, and i'm going to install CFW on that one, but i'm also going to add Luma3DS in my current 2DS :)
EVen if it's the same as RXTools, would you still recommend Luma3DS over RxTools, if i'm going to use EmuNAND on it? :)

If you're on O3DS or 2DS, Yes. A9LH need Console OTP which can't be extract unless your console on lower FW.
Only N3DS can do OTPless A9LH.

For installing A9LH on O3DS (that includes O3DS XL and 2DS), you need to downgrade to 2.1.

For installing A9LH on N3DS (that includes N3DS XL too), you don't need to dowgrade if you're already on 9.2.

That guide is for menuhax, if you want A9LH, follow the guide everyone has been linking: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(ARM9)

I don't think im going to install A9LH :(
Also, should i only follow those 3 parts?
There is like 27 pages in that guide, should i follow them or the parts IF i change my mind and use A9LH instead :)

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have purchased another 2DS, and i'm going to install CFW on that one, but i'm also going to add Luma3DS in my current 2DS :)
EVen if it's the same as RXTools, would you still recommend Luma3DS over RxTools, if i'm going to use EmuNAND on it? :)

There is like 27 pages in that guide, should i follow them or the parts IF i change my mind and use A9LH instead :)
If you decide to follow Plailect's guide for A9LH, as long as your read everything, and do everything as said, you'll be okay.

After you end each part, the guide tells you where to go next, depending on your system. You can't get lost if you read everything.

If you don't like to read, or skip parts. Well, you won't be able to do a thing. The guide couldn't be easier.

Last edited by Olmectron,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Part 1 tells you which pages to follow, after that you move on to Part 2 and 3. It's a relatively long guide though it's a lot shorter than it used to be, but the reason for that is to make it as idiot proof as possible, and it's constantly updated with the latest advancements in the scene. That's why it's the #1 guide recommended on this forum, and I wouldn't recommend using any other guide TBH.

And yes, no matter whether you're using menuhax, emuNAND, sysNAND or A9LH, Luma3DS is the recommended CFW.

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If you decide to follow Plailect's guide for A9LH, as long as your read everything, and do everything as said, you'll be okay.

After you end each part, the guide tells you where to go next, depending on your system. You can't get lost if you read everything.

If you don't like to read, or skip parts. Well, you won't be able to do a thing. The guide couldn't be easier.

Part 1 tells you which pages to follow, after that you move on to Part 2 and 3. It's a relatively long guide though it's a lot shorter than it used to be, but the reason for that is to make it as idiot proof as possible, and it's constantly updated with the latest advancements in the scene. That's why it's the #1 guide recommended on this forum, and I wouldn't recommend using any other guide TBH.

And yes, no matter whether you're using menuhax, emuNAND, sysNAND or A9LH, Luma3DS is the recommended CFW.

Thank you for the explanation :)
But i have to follow this guide if i want EmuNAND :(
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...s-full-menuhax-rednand-autoboot-setup.432499/

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You already have EmuNAND. You don't need to follow a guide.

Literally all you need to change to use the Luma3DS CFW instead of RxTools, is extracting Luma3DS files to your SD card, and delete RxTools files.

Yes i know that, and i'm going to switch it to Luma3DS CFW very soon, but i have ordered another 2DS from Amazon and that is the one i'm going to install either A9LH or keep EmuNAND like my current CFW... I'm more comfortable to use EmuNAND instead of messing around with the SysNAND :)
So i might use also EmuNAND on my new 2DS..

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes i know that, and i'm going to switch it to Luma3DS CFW very soon, but i have ordered another 2DS from Amazon and that is the one i'm going to install either A9LH or keep EmuNAND like my current CFW... I'm more comfortable to use EmuNAND instead of messing around with the SysNAND :)
So i might use also EmuNAND on my new 2DS..
What FW do you think the 2DS will come with? I can say a 9.2 downgrade (if the 2DS is on a FW>9.2) is as risky (or even riskier) than a 2.1 CTRNAND transfer downgrade for A9LH install, since you're messing around with SysNAND too.

If your 2DS arrives with FW 9.0 -> 9.2, well, you have nothing to worry about with only installing EmuNAND, and don't mind me.

Last edited by Olmectron,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thank you for the explanation :)
But i have to follow this guide if i want EmuNAND :(
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...s-full-menuhax-rednand-autoboot-setup.432499/
You can use A9LH with emuNAND, though I'm not sure why you would when sysNAND does all the same things plus allows you to run DSiWare/GBA VC which won't work on emuNAND unless you install it on both NANDs.
If you really want to keep emuNAND you can follow the A9LH guide normally, but don't enable "Autoboot SysNAND" and don't copy your emuNAND over to sysNAND or delete it.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You can use A9LH with emuNAND, though I'm not sure why you would when sysNAND does all the same things plus allows you to run DSiWare/GBA VC which won't work on emuNAND unless you install it on both NANDs.
If you really want to keep emuNAND you can follow the A9LH guide normally, but don't enable "Autoboot SysNAND" and don't copy your emuNAND over to sysNAND or delete it.
He doesn't want to "mess around" with SysNAND by some reason.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if he's happy with rxtools, there's absolutely no reason for him to switch to luma, as they do exactly the same thing.

that being said, on a new system, should it happen to be on a downgradable firmware (which is in no way guaranteed btw), going from nothing to a9hl is equally easy and takes about as long as getting menuhax/emunand setup.
switching from an emunand setup to a9hl on the other hand, takes a few extra steps, which, in my opinion, weren't perfectly integrated into plailtecs guide when i went through with it. and depending on how full ones sd is, it takes an extra hour or two just to transfer files back and forth.

for the sake of trying to clear some things up
i see that you're afraid of messing with sysnand, which is entirely understandable on an menuhax setup, which requires sysnand on 9.2 firmware. if you happen to update that,, your menuhax and emunand access vanish.

but with a9hl installed, you do not need menuhax anymore.
on your current setup, it works like this: powerbutton > load 9.2 firmware > menuhax triggers > load 11.1 emunand > play free games and such
on a9hl its: powerbutton > a9hl activates instantly > loads updatable sysnand that has all the functions of what emunand had > games
you homebrew stuff isn't dependent on a low firmware sysnand anymore, which is why you can update it without any worry once its installed right.

you will never have a need to go back to 9.2 on sysnand. in addition, even if you should ever somehow damage your sysnand by installing a corrupted cia or something like that, if you make a system backup right after installing a9hl, you can always revert back to that (or any other backup you create later on) because a9hl would activate and give you access to backup homebrew programs even before your damaged sysnand loads.

this is what people mean when they call it brickproof. you can always at least get to the backup homebrew and repair your ds from there.

but its your stuff, and its your decision. if you're entirely happy with what rxtools had to offer you so far, dont feel pressured to switch.

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
What FW do you think the 2DS will come with?
I think it might be 9.0 -> 9.2 :)
Well i hope so...

I didn't know about that :O
I will look into it right now!

if he's happy with rxtools, there's absolutely no reason for him to switch to luma, as they do exactly the same thing.

that being said, on a new system, should it happen to be on a downgradable firmware (which is in no way guaranteed btw), going from nothing to a9hl is equally easy and takes about as long as getting menuhax/emunand setup.
switching from an emunand setup to a9hl on the other hand, takes a few extra steps, which, in my opinion, weren't perfectly integrated into plailtecs guide when i went through with it. and depending on how full ones sd is, it takes an extra hour or two just to transfer files back and forth.

for the sake of trying to clear some things up
i see that you're afraid of messing with sysnand, which is entirely understandable on an menuhax setup, which requires sysnand on 9.2 firmware. if you happen to update that,, your menuhax and emunand access vanish.

but with a9hl installed, you do not need menuhax anymore.
on your current setup, it works like this: powerbutton > load 9.2 firmware > menuhax triggers > load 11.1 emunand > play free games and such
on a9hl its: powerbutton > a9hl activates instantly > loads updatable sysnand that has all the functions of what emunand had > games
you homebrew stuff isn't dependent on a low firmware sysnand anymore, which is why you can update it without any worry once its installed right.

you will never have a need to go back to 9.2 on sysnand. in addition, even if you should ever somehow damage your sysnand by installing a corrupted cia or something like that, if you make a system backup right after installing a9hl, you can always revert back to that (or any other backup you create later on) because a9hl would activate and give you access to backup homebrew programs even before your damaged sysnand loads.

this is what people mean when they call it brickproof. you can always at least get to the backup homebrew and repair your ds from there.

but its your stuff, and its your decision. if you're entirely happy with what rxtools had to offer you so far, dont feel pressured to switch.

Thanks man, the only thing i'm afraid of is that if i use A9HL (which sounds very tempting right now) and since it's SysNAND im messing around with, im afraid that it SOMEHOW updates the SysNAND (not the Luma3DS SysNAND) which makes me unable to use all the .cias or other homebrew stuff i installed.. But now that i do know it's possible to return to that previous state, it's make it more comfortable...

But at the first part of the guide:
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(ARM9)

Should i use "Browser" or "No Browser"? Which is more recommended?
And also the "Part 2" what they mean by: "Never format a 2DS while on a version <6.0.0 or you will be unable to complete initial setup and will BRICK!"???
Do they mean format in the system menu? :/

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think it might be 9.0 -> 9.2 :)
Well i hope so...

I didn't know about that :O
I will look into it right now!

Thanks man, the only thing i'm afraid of is that if i use A9HL (which sounds very tempting right now) and since it's SysNAND im messing around with, im afraid that it SOMEHOW updates the SysNAND (not the Luma3DS SysNAND) which makes me unable to use all the .cias or other homebrew stuff i installed.. But now that i do know it's possible to return to that previous state, it's make it more comfortable...

But at the first part of the guide:
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(ARM9)

Should i use "Browser" or "No Browser"? Which is more recommended?
And also the "Part 2" what they mean by: "Never format a 2DS while on a version <6.0.0 or you will be unable to complete initial setup and will BRICK!"???
Do they mean format in the system menu? :/
The brick is related to the 3D slider, which is missing on the 2DS. Firmwares below 6.0 will ask you to turn up the 3D slider during setup, which you can't do on a 2DS. I believe it's still possible to boot in recovery mode and update to the latest firmware from there, however.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes, if only for the reason that Luma3DS is currently supported and has an active community. If RxTools breaks or stops working, no one has the know how or desire to fix it. Plus some really nice features are in Luma3DS that aren't in RxTools, like being able to set the locale of a game for DLC compatibility. If you want to set your new 2DS in the same manner with menuhax and emuNAND, that guide is perfectly fine. You could also follow Plailect's guide up to the downgrading to 9.2 and then use your linked guide for menuhax.

Finally, the warning about bricking on 2DS is that you do not System Format from settings if you have a firmware lower than 6.0.0 since it was never designed with old firmware in mind and anything before 6.0.0 requires you to "activate" the 3D switch during setup, which the 2DS cannot do. There is no reason to format between 9.2 and 2.1 though, so this is a moot point.

You can use A9LH with emuNAND. It's just a setting in the Luma3DS config screen. You can even have up to 4 emuNANDs. Many people still use emuNAND to either set up a multi-user system where each person has their own Home Menu and games or to surpass the 300 game limit. I noticed you said you were afraid of accidentally updating sysNAND instead of "Luma3DS sysNAND". That, I think, is where the confusion lies. After a9LH is installed, there is no difference anymore. When you turn your 3DS on, Luma3DS boots FIRST, then your sysNAND boots, making it "Luma3DS sysNAND". Or you can set it to boot emuNAND and then it becomes "Luma3DS emuNAND". Once you have A9LH installed, you actually CAN'T boot stock, non-Luma3DS sysNAND anymore. Even if you remove the memory card, a tiny version of Luma3DS that lives in your firmware as part of A9LH will still boot "Luma3DS sysNAND" assuming you follow Plailect's Guide. You literally cannot update yourself out of being hacked with A9LH.

Last edited by DocKlokMan,

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The brick is related to the 3D slider, which is missing on the 2DS. Firmwares below 6.0 will ask you to turn up the 3D slider during setup, which you can't do on a 2DS. I believe it's still possible to boot in recovery mode and update to the latest firmware from there, however.

Yes, if only for the reason that Luma3DS is currently supported and has an active community. If RxTools breaks or stops working, no one has the know how or desire to fix it. Plus some really nice features are in Luma3DS that aren't in RxTools, like being able to set the locale of a game for DLC compatibility. If you want to set your new 2DS in the same manner with menuhax and emuNAND, that guide is perfectly fine. You could also follow Plailect's guide up to the downgrading to 9.2 and then use your linked guide for menuhax.

Finally, the warning about bricking on 2DS is that you do not System Format from settings if you have a firmware lower than 6.0.0 since it was never designed with old firmware in mind and anything before 6.0.0 requires you to "activate" the 3D switch during setup, which the 2DS cannot do. There is no reason to format between 9.2 and 2.1 though, so this is a moot point.

You can use A9LH with emuNAND. It's just a setting in the Luma3DS config screen. You can even have up to 4 emuNANDs. Many people still use emuNAND to either set up a multi-user system where each person has their own Home Menu and games or to surpass the 300 game limit. I noticed you said you were afraid of accidentally updating sysNAND instead of "Luma3DS sysNAND". That, I think, is where the confusion lies. After a9LH is installed, there is no difference anymore. When you turn your 3DS on, Luma3DS boots FIRST, then your sysNAND boots, making it "Luma3DS sysNAND". Or you can set it to boot emuNAND and then it becomes "Luma3DS emuNAND". Once you have A9LH installed, you actually CAN'T boot stock, non-Luma3DS sysNAND anymore. Even if you remove the memory card, a tiny version of Luma3DS that lives in your firmware as part of A9LH will still boot "Luma3DS sysNAND" assuming you follow Plailect's Guide. You literally cannot update yourself out of being hacked with A9LH.

So if my 2DS I have purchased is firmware 6.0 or below I won't be able to follow the guide?
Maybe I understood this wrong, but don't I need to like format my 2DS in order to downgrade to 2.1 and then update it to 9.2?

Wait now you made a bit happy :P
So it IS possible to use A9HL with EmuNAND? :D
I thought it worked with the Luma3DS SysNAND...
How can I make this possible? :D
I've read the guide like 12 times now it doesn't mention anything about using EmuNAND except "Part 3
Section IV - Injecting FBI"
But they don't write how to use EmuNAND instead of SysNAND :(

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
So if my 2DS I have purchased is firmware 6.0 or below I won't be able to follow the guide?
Maybe I understood this wrong, bLHut don't I need to like format my 2DS in order to downgrade to 2.1 and then update it to 9.2?

I've read the guide like 12 times now it doesn't mention anything about using EmuNAND except "Part 3

1. FW Lower than 9.2 can still do A9LH, just ignore 9.2 downgrade. And instead restore to its original firmare when do NAND restore instead of 9.2.
2. You don't need to format your console. Downgrade can be done without formatting.
3. You need to back up EmuNAND, then do every step of A9LH setup in SysNAND.
After you finish set up Luma3DS, that time you can restore your EmuNAND and use Luma3DS to load your EmuNAND. That's how you're using EmuNAND with A9HL.

Last edited by nechigawara,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
1. FW Lower than 9.2 can still do A9LH, just ignore 9.2 downgrade. And instead restore to its original firmare when do NAND restore instead of 9.2.
2. You don't need to format your console. Downgrade can be done without formatting.
3. You need to back up EmuNAND, then do every step of A9LH setup in SysNAND.
After you finish set up Luma3DS, that time you can restore your EmuNAND and use Luma3DS to load your EmuNAND. That's how you're using EmuNAND with A9HL.
There's no need to back up emuNAND, since the new guide doesn't touch it. I don't think it asks you to remove it anywhere either, but if it does, @theasker should obviously skip that part :P

Reactions: nechigawara

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

Wait what? I did my two o3ds's through tuesday and thursday and failed to have seen these steps, sure, the guide was recently changed up from the one i used three days ago to include OTPless install for a9lh.
I actually want the miniLuma cfw to be able to boot without an SD card in case my sdport becomes busted. But i've asked around and since it was an experimental fork made by aurora, it wasn't covered in plailects guide. Has this changed in the last two days?

Maybe I understood this wrong, but don't I need to like format my 2DS in order to downgrade to 2.1 and then update it to 9.2?

2DS cannot come with a fw <6.0, it was first shipped with 6.0. It's just that we CTR transfer it to 2.1 to get the OTP.bin for a9lh install. (before, you had to get mset which is systems settings app to 4.5 just to use the mset exploit and load your cfw like TRICK, RXtools, PBT, etc.) Nowadays that's just a reminder warning but if you follow the guide STEP BY STEP, nothing will happen to your 2ds.

And yes, you can have a9lh + emunand, it's just kind of a moot point since the whole layer of protection the emunand added was to be able to restore it in case something went terribly wrong and keep SysNAND safe. Now that you can restore SysNAND upon demand at ANY fw with a9lh (including 11.1), that's not really a reason to have it anymore.

Now, if you want it for multiple accounts on one system (a-la ps3), or to get past the 300 game limit, there you'd actually benefit from having it. But just as a safety measure? it's not worth it.

I know how you feel. Had two systems set up with menuhax+rxtools then luma3ds for a long time, did the guide 3 days ago on both and don't regret for a single second to have been rid of the EmuNANDS.

Last edited by Alex658,

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I actually want the miniLuma cfw to be able to boot without an SD card in case my sdport becomes busted. But i've asked around and since it was an experimental fork made by aurora, it wasn't covered in plailects guide. Has this changed in the last two days?.
No, I did A9LH for my N3DS yesterday. I can confirm the guide still point to lastest release page whcih contain last stable version of A9LH.
Because Aurora-san haven't push SDless to the release page.

Reactions: Alex658

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm not a flour expert I just snort it