Hacking Luma3DS some question, please don't kill my thread this time :P

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
No, I did A9LH for my N3DS yesterday. I can confirm the guide still point to lastest release page whcih contain last stable version of A9LH.
Because Aurora-san haven't push SDless to the release page.

Maybe it's because there's the unwrapping bug when you use that fork of a9lh, if you use your 3ds without your sd card and it boots to the mini protected sysnand, once you use your normal a9lh every app becomes a gift again.

That and something about DS titles not working properly, although 3ds titles work just fine.

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Wait what? I did my two o3ds's through tuesday and thursday and failed to have seen these steps, sure, the guide was recently changed up from the one i used three days ago to include OTPless install for a9lh.
I actually want the miniLuma cfw to be able to boot without an SD card in case my sdport becomes busted. But i've asked around and since it was an experimental fork made by aurora, it wasn't covered in plailects guide. Has this changed in the last two days?

2DS cannot come with a fw <6.0, it was first shipped with 6.0. It's just that we CTR transfer it to 2.1 to get the OTP.bin for a9lh install. (before, you had to get mset which is systems settings app to 4.5 just to use the mset exploit and load your cfw like TRICK, RXtools, PBT, etc.) Nowadays that's just a reminder warning but if you follow the guide STEP BY STEP, nothing will happen to your 2ds.

And yes, you can have a9lh + emunand, it's just kind of a moot point since the whole layer of protection the emunand added was to be able to restore it in case something went terribly wrong and keep SysNAND safe. Now that you can restore SysNAND upon demand at ANY fw with a9lh (including 11.1), that's not really a reason to have it anymore.

Now, if you want it for multiple accounts on one system (a-la ps3), or to get past the 300 game limit, there you'd actually benefit from having it. But just as a safety measure? it's not worth it.

I know how you feel. Had two systems set up with menuhax+rxtools then luma3ds for a long time, did the guide 3 days ago on both and don't regret for a single second to have been rid of the EmuNANDS.

No, I did A9LH for my N3DS yesterday. I can confirm the guide still point to lastest release page whcih contain last stable version of A9LH.
Because Aurora-san haven't push SDless to the release page.

If i understand this correct.. If i remove the SD Card when using A9HL etc etc.. my 2DS wont boot up? :/
I do know that the firmware has "changed" it's course by using the A9HL to "replace" the original SysNAND firmware to Luma SysNAND, but won't it boot up the "original" SysNAND if we don't use a SD card?
I mean what if the SD card someday just malfunction and dies, are we screwed then?? And even if you somehow "lost" your backup won't it boot up again?

Also, where can i find the installing EmuNAND? :D
I'm going crazy soon, i've been looking over the guide several times it doesn't mention anything about we can use A9HL + EmunNAND...

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If i understand this correct.. If i remove the SD Card when using A9HL etc etc.. my 2DS wont boot up? :/
I do know that the firmware has "changed" it's course by using the A9HL to "replace" the original SysNAND firmware to Luma SysNAND, but won't it boot up the "original" SysNAND if we don't use a SD card?
I mean what if the SD card someday just malfunction and dies, are we screwed then?? And even if you somehow "lost" your backup won't it boot up again?

I'm going crazy soon, i've been looking over the guide several times it doesn't mention anything about we can use A9HL + EmunNAND...
You just copy the A9LH payload files (from internet) to a new SD card and it will work again.

The Guide we use is for an updated SysNAND. But it is compatible with emuNAND, yes.

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

Your original SysNAND will still be SysNAND it's just that the 2ds will change the way it's boot up process occurs.
The 2DS will look for arm9loaderhax.bin on the root of the card, if it can't find it, it will shut down automatically.

There is an slightly different version of a9lh (which is still experimental) that allow you to boot up without an SD card while still having access to a9lh and protection to your SysNAND.
All in all, it's not a big deal. you shouldn't use your 3ds without an SD anyway. it comes with one for a reason. Also, if the sdcard dies, you can just use another one as long as you copy the luma files and arm9loaderhax.bin to your root. Again, not a big deal for having the equivalent of cIPL patching for psps 1000 and 2000. ("permanent" cfw from boot)

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

No, A9LH rewrite the firm kernel to check if specific file (in this case, arm9loaderhax.bin) is exist on SD/MicroSD.
If it isn't, system will shutdown to preventing firm rewrite process that could remove A9LH from your console.
If arm9loaderhax.bin is exist, it will run arm9loaderhax.bin which can be both CFW or arm9 Homebrew.
And some CFW will providw firm protection to preventing firm rewrite process. That's how it's work.

And yeah, there is a kind of beta version that @Alex658 mention, with firm kernel it self can do firm protection
without the need of other CFW. But, it's still in experiment state and has some problem.

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You just copy the A9LH payload files (from internet) to a new SD card and it will work again.

The Guide we use is for an updated SysNAND. But it is compatible with emuNAND, yes.

Thank you but how can i make it compatible with EmuNAND?
I just want to know how i can use A9HL with EmuNAND :(

Your original SysNAND will still be SysNAND it's just that the 2ds will change the way it's boot up process occurs.
The 2DS will look for arm9loaderhax.bin on the root of the card, if it can't find it, it will shut down automatically.

There is an slightly different version of a9lh (which is still experimental) that allow you to boot up without an SD card while still having access to a9lh and protection to your SysNAND.
All in all, it's not a big deal. you shouldn't use your 3ds without an SD anyway. it comes with one for a reason. Also, if the sdcard dies, you can just use another one as long as you copy the luma files and arm9loaderhax.bin to your root. Again, not a big deal for having the equivalent of cIPL patching for psps 1000 and 2000. ("permanent" cfw from boot)

Thank you!
It's that simple huh? :D
Good to know! :)

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Thank you but how can i make it compatible with EmuNAND?
I just want to know how i can use A9HL with EmuNAND :(

Thank you!
It's that simple huh? :D
Good to know! :)

Just do the guide
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

Afterwards when it tells you to configure Luma just don't tag "Autoboot sysnand" and it will boot your emunand+all the protections a9lh offers.

Luma3ds can boot up to 4 EmuNANDS from the same card. Not sure why would anyone need that many, though.

Last edited by Alex658,

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
May be there is someone who wants to install 1200 titles in one console at the same time? :P

It'd have to be a 2tb card (which doesn't exist yet) for it to fit ALL those 3ds releases........ and that's counting all regions at once.
Or a buuuuuunch of virtual console games. Like half the library of nes/gbc/gba or something.
I don't even think all of the nes/gbc/gba games have been injected. o.O

Last edited by Alex658,

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It'd have to be a 2tb card (which doesn't exist yet) for it to fit ALL those 3ds releases........ and that's counting all regions at once.
Or a buuuuuunch of virtual console games. Like half the library of nes/gbc/gba or something.
I don't even think all of the nes/gbc/gba games have been injected at all. o.O
Badges count for the 300 app limit. So, a 128GB suffice for installing 1200 "titles" (these include badges).

And I think a 1TB card would suffice for more than 1,200 titles (not including badges). Since I got 300 actual apps (not badges) to fit a 64GB card.

Last edited by Olmectron,
Reactions: nechigawara

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks man, the only thing i'm afraid of is that if i use A9HL (which sounds very tempting right now) and since it's SysNAND im messing around with, im afraid that it SOMEHOW updates the SysNAND (not the Luma3DS SysNAND) which makes me unable to use all the .cias or other homebrew stuff i installed.. But now that i do know it's possible to return to that previous state, it's make it more comfortable...

But at the first part of the guide:
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(ARM9)

Should i use "Browser" or "No Browser"? Which is more recommended?
And also the "Part 2" what they mean by: "Never format a 2DS while on a version <6.0.0 or you will be unable to complete initial setup and will BRICK!"???
Do they mean format in the system menu? :/

see, you're still misunderstanding here.
after installing a9hl, there only is a single sysnand. and you can and will update that single sysnand. and you will not lose the ability to play cias still. because the ability to play cias comes from a9hl being there, starting luma and applying all those patches rxtools currently applies to your emunand

as for the guide, go for browser. the no browser collumn is meant for people who cant use the browser for whatever reason.
and yes, they meant format in system menu. this is just meant as a precaution to not do that while you're downgraded.

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Just do the guide
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

Afterwards when it tells you to configure Luma just don't tag "Autoboot sysnand" and it will boot your emunand+all the protections a9lh offers.

Luma3ds can boot up to 4 EmuNANDS from the same card. Not sure why would anyone need that many, though.

Is it really that simple? :O
So all I have to do is to not choose "Autoboot SysNAND" and it will automatically boot up EmuNAND?
Does that means that my SysNAND can be in firmware 9.2 while I can update the EmuNAND to 11.0 (or whatever the latest version is)???? :O

Thank you mate! :)
One last question, lets say that my new 2DS is going to be firmware 7.0.0 (or any version below 9.0).. Do I still need to update it 9.2? (Like I had to do with RxTools)..

Last edited by Naxster,

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Is it really that simple? :O
So all I have to do is to not choose "Autoboot SysNAND" and it will automatically boot up EmuNAND?
Does that means that my SysNAND can be in firmware 9.2 while I can update the EmuNAND to 11.0 (or whatever the latest version is)???? :O

Thank you mate! :)
One last question, lets say that my new 2DS is going to be firmware 7.0.0 (or any version below 9.0).. Do I still need to update it 9.2? (Like I had to do with RxTools)..

Wait for someone else to confirm, but afaik yes, unclicking that will make it boot emunand by default.

EDIT: Taken from Luma3ds wiki

"Autoboot SysNAND: Determines if you want to boot SysNAND or EmuNAND by default (when holding no buttons on Luma3DS boot).
  • If the option is on, holding L boots the default EmuNAND.
  • If the option is off, holding L boots SysNAND."

So yeah, unclicking it will make it boot emunand by default. (HOLD L to boot sysnand)

And no, you can just use your version straight up from the guide. If yours was 7.0.0.0E (no browser) you'd have to begin here: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Cart-Update

If it was 7.0.0.XX Where XX is >0 you'd begin here: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Decrypt9-(Browser)

As long as the 2DS has a browser you shouldn't have any complicated trouble.

Last edited by Alex658,

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Wait for someone else to confirm, but afaik yes, unclicking that will make it boot emunand by default.

EDIT: Taken from Luma3ds wiki

"Autoboot SysNAND: Determines if you want to boot SysNAND or EmuNAND by default (when holding no buttons on Luma3DS boot).
  • If the option is on, holding L boots the default EmuNAND.
  • If the option is off, holding L boots SysNAND."

So yeah, unclicking it will make it boot emunand by default. (HOLD L to boot sysnand)

And no, you can just use your version straight up from the guide. If yours was 7.0.0.0E (no browser) you'd have to begin here: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Cart-Update

If it was 7.0.0.XX Where XX is >0 you'd begin here: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Decrypt9-(Browser)

As long as the 2DS has a browser you shouldn't have any complicated trouble.

Thanks mate, it makes more sense now! :D

But i had something in mind, when i follow that guide, should i follow it til the end or stop at the "Autoboot SysNAND" (Part 3 - Section III - Configuring Luma3DS) to choose EmuNAND instead?

Also since im going to downgrade my SysNAND to 2.1, and when i pick EmuNAND instead of SysNAND later on, does that mean that my SysNAND will be 2.1? :/

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks mate, it makes more sense now! :D

But i had something in mind, when i follow that guide, should i follow it til the end or stop at the "Autoboot SysNAND" (Part 3 - Section III - Configuring Luma3DS) to choose EmuNAND instead?

Also since im going to downgrade my SysNAND to 2.1, and when i pick EmuNAND instead of SysNAND later on, does that mean that my SysNAND will be 2.1? :/
Follow the WHOLE Guide. In the end, you restore your SysNAND to the firmware it had before the 2.1 downgrade.

Don't stop at the part about "Autoboot SysNAND" simply don't check that option as the Guide says. Aside from that, do everything else as said to the very end.

It wouldn't be practical to have SysNAND on 2.1, and the Guide explains how to go back to your firmware before the downgrade. Again, FOLLOW it all, and read everything twice so you know what you're doing.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, if you won't use SysNAND at all, what would be the problem with leaving it on 2.1? You would even forget it exists, since you won't mess around with it, anyway.

Last edited by Olmectron,

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Follow the WHOLE Guide. In the end, you restore your SysNAND to the firmware it had before the 2.1 downgrade.

Don't stop at the part about "Autoboot SysNAND" simply don't check that option as the Guide says. Aside from that, do everything else as said to the very end.

It wouldn't be practical to have SysNAND on 2.1, and the Guide explains how to go back to your firmware before the downgrade. Again, FOLLOW it all, and read everything twice so you know what you're doing.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, if you won't use SysNAND at all, what would be the problem with leaving it on 2.1? You would even forget it exists, since you won't mess around with it, anyway.

So it is possible to stay at 2.1? :D
I thought that since RxTools required 9.2 (that was a must), i thought that this CFW was the same..
Hmm just out of curiosity, where in the guide does it say how i can return to my firmware before the downgrade?

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

I thought that since RxTools required 9.2 (that was a must), i thought that this CFW was the same..
Hmm just out of curiosity, where in the guide does it say how i can return to my firmware before the downgrade?
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-ctrtransfer

trinhno

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
You will have a backup from part 2. Luma won't boot firmware 2.1 sysNAND. You can still load Hourglass9 by holding start though. Restore the backup in part 2. If that too is still too low for Luma to boot then proceed to do a 9.2 CTRtransfer

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You will have a backup from part 2. Luma won't boot firmware 2.1 sysNAND. You can still load Hourglass9 by holding start though. Restore the backup in part 2. If that too is still too low for Luma to boot then proceed to do a 9.2 CTRtransfer
Luma now boots 2.1 on O3DS (including 2DS) without problems.

Reactions: trinhno

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

Luma now boots 2.1 on O3DS (including 2DS) without problems.

So in the guide i should stop where it says
6. Update your 3DS again by going to System Settings, then "Other Settings", then going all the way to the right and using "System Update"
(Last step in Section III - Configuring Luma3DS).
And use this guide instead to make it 9.2.0?
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-ctrtransfer

Also dont i need to unlink the SysNAND and EmuNAND?
I remember doing it when i installed RXTools, so that the EmuNAND wont effect all the "changes" i do in SysNAND (for instance system update it) :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge